Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2019 EXL AWD
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looked through the maintenance book on our 19. Even though it has a olm but why does Honda say to change the oil every 5K?

Thanks

·
Registered
743 Posts
Just looked through the maintenance book on our 19. Even though it has a olm but why does Honda say to change the oil every 5K?

Thanks
Honda doesn't say that. Your dealership says that. They are trying to sell a service to you which includes oil changes, tire rotations, fluid exchanges (brake, transmission, differentials, etc) sooner than Honda says it is required.

Nothing wrong with doing more service sooner than needed other than it's going to make your wallet lighter.

If it is in the maintenance book issued by Honda, can you please post a link to it or a picture of it.

Reactions: MtMan

·
Registered
2019 EXL AWD
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honda doesn't say that. Your dealership says that. They are trying to sell a service to you which includes oil changes, tire rotations, fluid exchanges (brake, transmission, differentials, etc) sooner than Honda says it is required.

Nothing wrong with doing more service sooner than needed other than it's going to make your wallet lighter.

If it is in the maintenance book issued by Honda, can you please post a link to it or a picture of it.
5132057A-2161-4194-A03B-B5A80CB376DB.jpeg
FD25524C-3774-410D-8701-B7D0D58D575E.jpeg
Makes sense. I should of known the book has the dealerships name on it. I’ll stick to the olm. Thanks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
5,000 miles isn’t unreasonable. You don’t want to go too long on a DI motor and risk increased fuel dilution in the oil

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,043 Posts
I’ll bet Honda corporate doesn’t offer that “Complimentary world class multi-point inspection” that your local dealer provides.?

·
Registered
7,048 Posts
Wonder how much they charge for the "Synthetic Engine Oil Booster"?
Note that the owner's manual states "Your vehicle does not require oil additives. In fact,they may adversely affect the engine performance and durability."

Likewise for the "Z-Tech Fuel System Cleaner", which shouldn't be needed if you use a top tier brand of fuel, also as recommended in the owner's manual.
https://toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/

·
Registered
2019 EXL AWD
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wonder how much they charge for the "Synthetic Engine Oil Booster"?
Note that the owner's manual states "Your vehicle does not require oil additives. In fact,they may adversely affect the engine performance and durability."

Likewise for the "Z-Tech Fuel System Cleaner", which shouldn't be needed if you use a top tier brand of fuel, also as recommended in the owner's manual.
https://toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/
I run Amsoil PI every oil change in all my vehicles.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My dealership tried the same BS. Told me since I waited to do my first service until my maintenance minder went off (~7500 miles) I now had to do an A13 service (A = Change Oil, 1 = Rotate Tires, 3 = change the ATF and transfer fluid.). The service writer implied with careful word choice that I may void my warranty if I didn't do this service. I will never go back to that dealer.

Its all about getting your car in more often so they can make more money off you. Your warranty and HondaCare just require you to do your services per the maintenance minder (and repair anything that crops up of course). Unless you prefer to take supremely good care of your cars beyond what is necessary, you can politely tell them no thanks.

·
Registered
2019 EXL AWD
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My dealership tried the same BS. Told me since I waited to do my first service until my maintenance minder went off (~7500 miles) I now had to do an A13 service (A = Change Oil, 1 = Rotate Tires, 3 = change the ATF and transfer fluid.). The service writer implied with careful word choice that I may void my warranty if I didn't do this service. I will never go back to that dealer.

Its all about getting your car in more often so they can make more money off you. Your warranty and HondaCare just require you to do your services per the maintenance minder (and repair anything that crops up of course). Unless you prefer to take supremely good care of your cars beyond what is necessary, you can politely tell them no thanks.
When I saw the dealerships name on the book that threw up a red flag. I’ll follow the maintenance minder.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Assuming it's Vandergriff Honda in DFW area, they have been on my black list since about 2005 when I was shopping for a 99 Accord, based off of an ad in the classifieds (remember those?). Test drove the vehicle, decided I wanted it, and then in negotiation, they tried to give me a price 500 more than what they had advertised in the newspaper. After back and forth where they were insinuating that I was lying, we located the most recent copy and I showed it to them. They tried to claim it was for another car, but the ads had the last 4 of the VIN which I pointed out. Then they switched tactics and "went to the sales manager", and finally came back and said they'd give me the price in the paper, but the certified honda warranty would be an extra 500 (although the car was shown with and had the certified honda warranty sticker on the window already - so it was already done).
Needless to say I walked away and never would deal with Vandergriff again. Went to McDavid Frisco, and they have been treating me right for 10 years and 3 cars later.

·
Registered
2019 EXL AWD
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Assuming it's Vandergriff Honda in DFW area, they have been on my black list since about 2005 when I was shopping for a 99 Accord, based off of an ad in the classifieds (remember those?). Test drove the vehicle, decided I wanted it, and then in negotiation, they tried to give me a price 500 more than what they had advertised in the newspaper. After back and forth where they were insinuating that I was lying, we located the most recent copy and I showed it to them. They tried to claim it was for another car, but the ads had the last 4 of the VIN which I pointed out. Then they switched tactics and "went to the sales manager", and finally came back and said they'd give me the price in the paper, but the certified honda warranty would be an extra 500 (although the car was shown with and had the certified honda warranty sticker on the window already - so it was already done).
Needless to say I walked away and never would deal with Vandergriff again. Went to McDavid Frisco, and they have been treating me right for 10 years and 3 cars later.
Our experience at Vandergriff wasn’t bad. We bought an 08 and a 18 CRV at Huggins with good experience.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts