Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a cheap-skate by nature. I originally wanted the LX in Sagebrush with upgrade to leather by dealer (through Classic Soft Trim). Started shopping about a month ago. Well, last night, I bought a EX-L RES (DVD) in Silver! We've had it exactly 25 hours now.

Needless to say, we love it, but I'm a bit unnerved at splurging on the extra stuff. I've got a bit of buyer's remorse for not sticking to the plain EX-L (or the original LX idea w/leather idea). I know that the DVD option is way overpriced. You can buy a portable DVD with 7" screen for $400 these days. Why did I go for it, then? I don't know. The kids sure love it. And, it's more convenient and out of the way compared to the portable option. But, a portable could be used more flexibly (not just in the car).

I got a pretty darn good deal, I think. Not as excellent as some I've read about in these forums, but not bad. Paid $33.8k out the door - that works out to $31.2 for the car. That's $1300 less than MSRP (woo-hoo!). Plus, the 3.49% financing will save me a few hundred bucks over the life of the loan.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Sounds to me like you got a good deal. A very good deal!

My opinion is that its well worth getting the EX over the LX.

You only live once, I say. And, in world where a decent car is getting closer to 40k, I would say you did not over do it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Destined,

Which dealer did you purchase it at (and which salesman) ? It sounds like a great deal to me.. was it a lot of "work" to get the dealer to go that low, much less get the sub 4% financing ? Please share the secret..

·
Registered
44 Posts
good deal ?

I would take that deal in a second. So don't worry you got a good deal....

SoCalGary

·
Registered
168 Posts
You got a fantastic deal and should find yourself loving the RES in the vehicle. I know you can buy more portable for less, but you lose a little of what the thing is meant for, viewing movies in a car.
Hakuna Matata

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the encouragement!

I got the deal at Jim Doten's Honda in Berkeley through their internet guy Rod Aboke. He was very easy to work with, and he was very helpful. He made a lot of calls around to other dealers to try to locate the Sagebrush EX-L we were looking for, but was unable to find one. And, even after I decided to go with the Silver w/ DVD, he offered one from another dealer without DVD because he knew my concerns about the extra cost. At that point, I had already driven in to the dealer to do the paperwork, and I was just too impatient to wait another day for the "dealer trade" and to pick up the car, so I just splurged and went for the DVD.

My secret was coming to this site and reading posts about other people's deals. That gave me the confidence to ask for a better deal (and back it up with the anecdotes from this site).

The financing was a special Honda deal that anybody could have gotten (subject to your credit report). It is only available until 1/2/03.

Attachments

·
Registered
797 Posts
Welcome to the board. Based upon the picture, I was going to congratulate you on your choice of Havasu Blue. (Great color!) However your post has indicated Silver. Too bad. (Just kidding) I still like Havasu Blue.

·
Registered
465 Posts
look at it this way

Hey, you got a deal! If I were you I would look at it this way. You got the DVD for free. And let me tell you how much you are going to LOVE that system! It is so easy to use once you get the hang of it (getting the hang of it takes a week or two).

Our current favorite movie is A Christmas Story. You know...you'll shoot your eye out kid. Is that not the best holiday movie ever??? Usually I make the kid wear the headphones when his movie is playing, and I listen to the XM (you need one of those too). But when A Christmas Story is playing, I listen to it.

Congrats, and have you added your info to the VIN list?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It looks blue in the picture because the pic was taken in the shadow of a hill at Dusk which must have tricked my camera's "automatic white balance". It's actually silver.

Yes, I have added the VIN to the table. Is there a particular use for this table, or is it just for fun?

Drove it to work for the first time today. Very nice!
Can't wait to take it on a long trip up into the mountains (which one? Shasta, of course!).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Great truck and great deal. Never question yourself when you do the right thing. As was stated before with the savings you made on the deal you just about got the DVD system for free.

Enjoy!!:2:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got my Silver EXL-RES with appearance package (mudguards, wheel locks, pin strips) and cross bars on Friday (12/20/02) for $33,080.00, on-road price which includes tax, tag, registration and processing fee. I bought it from Landmark Honda, Alexandria, VA.

Thanks to everybody in this forum for all the information. :2:

I did not get the 3.45 APR deal though. The finance sales person told me that he would give me that rate only if I sign for extended warranty and other stupid insurance packages. Is it too late for me to go back and try to get this rate? Where can I find some information about this deal?

Thanks again to everybody.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That rate is available to anyone. I just found out about it as well, talked to Honda Finance and got the rate. Nothing special....

I'd call another dealer in your area and ask them if the rate is available without strings attached. IF he says yes, then I'd talk to the GM of your dealership.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Destined4Shasta said:
Sounds like you got a really good deal.

What is the tax rate and registration fees in VA?
Tax rate: 3.2%
Reg. fee: approx. $48

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, that reasoning is how I justified it to myself when I was at the dealer on Saturday night.

Oh yeah, ARIC asked about "the deal", here's some more advice. I started by talking to a bunch of "internet sales reps" at various dealers to ask them what kind of deal they could give me. I only worked with the ones that offered to deal for good prices (usually only getting specific if I indicated that I was serious) and that I felt a good "vibe" with.

Some said they couldn't go below MSRP, or that they would charge extra, or that there were required options.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think your deal is quite good. We spent 9 months last year in Santa Clara on business. To get that kind of deal from a dealer in the bay area on such a hot car has to be uncommon. We were out looking at an MDX at an acura dealer last year. The car was used, and the dealer had it priced higher than a new MDX! Pretty insulting if you ask me. It's a different car, but I think the demand is pretty similar.

As for the stock DVD, I am happy that we went with it. I like the fact that it's warrantied with by Honda. We've only had the car for a week, but we've really enjoyed it. There are advantages to getting one installed aftermarket, but for us I think this was the best choice.

One thing I considered as well was the value of my car after a few years. I think the EX will hold its value much better than the LX, and of course the leather and RES should help as well.

·
Registered
65 Posts
udi said:
II did not get the 3.45 APR deal though. The finance sales person told me that he would give me that rate only if I sign for extended warranty and other stupid insurance packages. Is it too late for me to go back and try to get this rate? Where can I find some information about this deal?
This is total BS. The 3.49% financing is available through American Honda and does not require any purchase of additional BS packages. As long as you qualify for it, you are entitled to it. Please give them a BAD score on the survey.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for the tip, Destined4Shasta.. I was actually up in the Bay Area this past week and I was really close, but didnt get a chance to swing by Jim Doten Honda in Berkley.. instead, I stopped by El Cerrito Honda (just because I saw it off the freeway) and I was really disappointed in my experience there.. basically, I told the sales guy that I didnt live in the area but I would not mind travelling to Nor Cal to pick up the car if he would give me a good deal.. instead, he chose to spend his time explaining to me:

1. Why I should not choose the color that I prefer
2. Questioning why I wanted the NAV
3. Why $2995 for their so-called Adventure package (which consisted of the wood trim minus the steering wheel, side steps, roof rack cross bars, and mud flaps) is a good deal and that over 50% of their customers like those options in that package
4. Telling me that all dealers in California sell for the same price and that if I did happen to find a better deal, that he would meet or beat it (which to me, always seems like a waste of time.. I mean, if I find a better deal, why would I waste even more time going back to that fool)..

In any case, I'm going to try and contact Rod at Jim Doten today to see if he can help me.. thanks again, Destined..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You're welcome.
Good luck. We're down to the last two days of the year now, so you may be able to drive a real bargain . . . Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Udi,

I live in the North VA area and I bought my Pilot from Brown's in Arlington. I first talked to Landmark about financing through Honda and they said the lowest they offered was 6.9%. Later they said they could possibly do lower through one other source (huh?). The next day (12/27/02), I went to Browns and they gave me 3.49% and I still haven't figured out why Landmark didn't even mention the special 3.49% APR to me while every other dealer made it a point to mention it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts