Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys,

My front passenger's caliper is getting really tight and it needs to be replaced.

My question is:

Can I use a caliper from different vehicles (makes/models) or it has to be specific for Honda Pilot?

If I am able to use calipers from different vehicles (makes/models) which one would go well with a Honda Pilot 2003?

Cheers,

Charles

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Can I use a caliper from different vehicles (makes/models) or it has to be specific for Honda Pilot?

If I am able to use calipers from different vehicles (makes/models) which one would go well with a Honda Pilot 2003?
Welcome @Charlesdanni ...best to get the right part for your Pilot. Not sure how things are in Canada but go to a reputable auto parts store, Rock Auto online, or the Honda dealer. Brakes are just too important to substitute calipers from different vehicles.

p.s.: what do you mean too tight?

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,187 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I haven’t had to replace calipers yet, but if I did I would go with OEM or aftermarket which is made for the vehicle.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
op may be referring to a pin being stuck in the Caliper

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,290 Posts
If you decide not to go OEM, I'd pick the Centrics or the Power Stops among these from Rockauto.com. Not only do they ship to Canada, unlike the often niggardly in shipping and occasionally untrustworthy in sourcing Amazon.com, but they have many paying options for Canadians, including direct bank transfers from the Big 5 here, so you don't get hosed on the exchange rate. What's more, take advantage of the PIloteers 5% discount.

2003 HONDA PILOT 3.5L V6 Caliper | RockAuto

5% Discount Code: 20CC2CFAD669A0
Expires: May 12, 2020

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. All orders are placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount.
I'd also change them in pairs, but maybe that's just me.

On the other hand, as others mention, perhaps check if it's just stuck. You may be delighted to discover what wonders a little strategically applied lube might do. :)

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
If you decide not to go OEM, I'd pick the Centrics or the Power Stops among these from Rockauto.com. Not only do they ship to Canada, unlike the often niggardly in shipping and occasionally untrustworthy in sourcing Amazon.com, but they have many paying options for Canadians, including direct bank transfers from the Big 5 here, so you don't get hosed on the exchange rate. What's more, take advantage of the PIloteers 5% discount.

2003 HONDA PILOT 3.5L V6 Caliper | RockAuto

I'd also change them in pairs, but maybe that's just me.

On the other hand, as others mention, perhaps check if it's just stuck. You may be delighted to discover what wonders a little strategically applied lube might do. :)
Bout time your responding to threads ... you were on vacation or something :p

·
Banned
379 Posts
This is an odd question to me. Using a part from a different vehicle most likely wouldn't even work. Definitely get oem or good aftermarket for your exact vehicle. I'm looking at rear calipers on a 2004 and I'm currently looking for deals myself.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I've never considered using a part that wasn't from my vehicle. I mean at one point (like in my old Accords) there were vehicles that shared many components but sometimes had larger rotors and calipers, sway bars were stiffer, etc. (TLs or RLs). The only place I'd think to look is either an Odyssey or MDX but you'd likely be the person confirming whether they work or not.

·
Registered
10,290 Posts

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,876 Posts
This is an odd question to me. Using a part from a different vehicle most likely wouldn't even work. Definitely get oem or good aftermarket for your exact vehicle. I'm looking at rear calipers on a 2004 and I'm currently looking for deals myself.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Hello my fellow Piloteers,

So my problem with my caliper is the the cylinder is getting stuck on the same position, which is causing it to apply constant friction on my rotor.

do you think is easier to remove and replace the cylinder or the whole caliper?

regards,

Charles

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Just replace the caliper, it's a quick process since you'll have to remove the caliper either way.

-Remove caliper
-clamp/install plug in brake line
-Remove cylinder
-Clean thoroughly
-Hone the bore
-Install new cylinder or cleaned up old cylinder with new seals

OR

-Remove caliper
-Install Caliper

You'll have to bleed either way.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just replace the caliper, it's a quick process since you'll have to remove the caliper either way.

-Remove caliper
-clamp/install plug in brake line
-Remove cylinder
-Clean thoroughly
-Hone the bore
-Install new cylinder or cleaned up old cylinder with new seals

OR

-Remove caliper
-Install Caliper

You'll have to bleed either way.

Thanks for your reply.

how hard is it to proceed with the bleeding?

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
There are many videos on youtube about this, below is just one of them.

Remember, brakes are all the keep you from destruction while driving your 4000 lb SUV at 70 mph. If you aren't comfortable doing the repair, don't do it and let a professional handle it. A couple hundred dollars is a lot cheaper than a huge insurance bill.

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
And here I would be remiss if I didn't post a reminder of the oft-misunderstood brake bleeding sequence on a Pilot: Start with front driver's corner then go clockwise.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts