Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Honda Pilot (4WD, 71k), 2014 Honda Odyssey (59k)
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, everyone. I’ve got a new to me 2014 EX-L and I’m looking to replace the brakes and rotors soon (akebono ceramic pads and centric coated rotors!), thought that I might as well change out the rusted brake calipers in the front and rear, as well. I drive a lot in the overly salted rust belt, so it’s probably worth getting a coated or painted rotor. Any recommendations or good parts you’ve seen in your travels?

·
Registered
2020 Pilot Black Edition
185 Posts
Is there anything mechanically wrong with them (ie. O-ring leaking, fluid leaks etc) aside the rust? If not, perhaps just cleaning off the rust and painting the originals?

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
Are the rotors scoured?
Rotors- just because you can? OK
The last rotor I actually replaced was b/c it was BADLY scoured. That was many brake pad jobs ago on our vehicles. Many.

Reactions: FatherPercy

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are the rotors scoured?
Rotors- just because you can? OK
The last rotor I actually replaced was b/c it was BADLY scoured. That was many brake pad jobs ago on our vehicles. Many.
I'm not sure what pads/rotors are currently on there, so I'm just assuming that I'll get that brake-shimmy that I've experienced with crappy pads and rotors in the past! So you don't normally change the rotors when you change your pads? I see people do it both ways - always change rotors with pads, or only when needed.

Is there anything mechanically wrong with them (ie. O-ring leaking, fluid leaks etc) aside the rust? If not, perhaps just cleaning off the rust and painting the originals?

The calipers are really rusty and unseemly from the outside, though they're working just fine, honestly. It didn't occur to me to clean off the rust and paint them, I guess I doubt my ability in doing it well! I'll check and see if there are some guides out there that will walk through the process. ChrisFix has a video on it, I think.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wilwood DPHA?
I am going to attempt that install.
I checked out the Wilwood site for just a second, and it doesn't seem that they make those DPHA calipers specifically for the Pilot, yet!

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
I'm not sure what pads/rotors are currently on there, so I'm just assuming that I'll get that brake-shimmy that I've experienced with crappy pads and rotors in the past! So you don't normally change the rotors when you change your pads? I see people do it both ways - always change rotors with pads, or only when needed.

The calipers are really rusty and unseemly from the outside, though they're working just fine, honestly. It didn't occur to me to clean off the rust and paint them, I guess I doubt my ability in doing it well! I'll check and see if there are some guides out there that will walk through the process. ChrisFix has a video on it, I think.
Where's thay link about:

THE MYTH OF WARPED ROTORS!! LOL- Yes, it's a real website, several of them actually objectively busting this myth.
Even if my rotor are scoured some- I still just change the pads usually. Still stops just fine.

Many people neglect greasing the caliper slides/bolts- which causes the calipers to stick. It can also cause uneven brake pad deposit on the rotors- causing a pulsating pedal, etc.

If it's shuddering- usually there are worn suspension parts.

IMHO.

·
Registered
2020 Pilot Black Edition
185 Posts

Definitely worth looking in to, as if they’re working just fine....no need to replace, just clean, seal, and paint.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts