Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed on my 15 today while replacing the metal plates that were actually once brake pads ..the pistons are rusted out all to hell to the point of rust crumbling inside.
Would that be an easy job to replace these?, this is one that I have not attempted as a rebuild .. I dont want a reman part since they rust out fast after a month or two..

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
If the rust is just inside the piston, not on the outside with the seal and the bore fitment, I'd be tempted to just coat the inside with a thin film of hi-temp anti-seize and call it good. Assuming you've been suitably religious about fluid services and the dust boots are intact, there shouldn't be any corrosion in any hydraulic areas. Good idea to look though. Like 'lift the edge of the bay diaper, dear!' good idea.

Don't know what comes in a "rebuild kit". If you get the dust boots off intact, it may be be a no-parts-needed effort to at least open-and-inspect. That said, rebuild kits for modern Japanese cars are too cheap to ignore.

-----

I've never had the pads out of mine, much less hunt for corrosion in the pistons. Now I have an excuse to take something apart. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
Noticed on my 15 today while replacing the metal plates that were actually once brake pads ..the pistons are rusted out all to hell to the point of rust crumbling inside.
Would that be an easy job to replace these?, this is one that I have not attempted as a rebuild .. I dont want a reman part since they rust out fast after a month or two..
Buy new brake calipers along with pads and rotors. Since your dealing with rust, I'd buy coated replacement parts.

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,260 Posts
With Nail Grease on this one. New Calipers and do it all at once. You live in the rust belt so you need to be aggressive with looking after rusting or rusted parts. Besides which would you like use the next time you come to a red light, the vehicle brakes or Fred Flintstone brakes? Don't think we need a poll for this one.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Buy new brake calipers along with pads and rotors. Since your dealing with rust, I'd buy coated replacement parts.
I agree BUT where to you by coated parts from ? I'm having a hard time to locate those .

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With Nail Grease on this one. New Calipers and do it all at once. You live in the rust belt so you need to be aggressive with looking after rusting or rusted parts. Besides which would you like use the next time you come to a red light, the vehicle brakes or Fred Flintstone brakes? Don't think we need a poll for this one.
Oh come on ..i'm sure plplplpl would love to have one of those :p

seriously though I have no issues on getting new ones I'm am hesitant since i want the ones that don't rust after two months .

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 191,000 miles
249 Posts
Are you sure what you think is rust isn’t just a few thousand miles of brake dust that has collected on the pistons? It looks pretty similar, and aren’t the brake pistons usually chrome plated to prevent rust?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you sure what you think is rust isn’t just a few thousand miles of brake dust that has collected on the pistons? It looks pretty similar, and aren’t the brake pistons usually chrome plated to prevent rust?
You tell me :)

Reactions: Depleted Islet

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
CLR to the rescue... That's really cosmetic though. It's not like there will be soms structural failure of the pistons. If they are only holding that inside the oistons and not outide or in the bores, no worries. CLR if it makes you feel better. Then your favorite protective coating inside.

Hot brakes, a dip in salt-laden snow, and there's that corrosive stuff sucked . Add braking hea to speed the chemical reaction. Agitate some to be sure.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
CLR to the rescue... That's really cosmetic though. It's not like there will be soms structural failure of the pistons. If they are only holding that inside the oistons and not outide or in the bores, no worries. CLR if it makes you feel better. Then your favorite protective coating inside.

Hot brakes, a dip in salt-laden snow, and there's that corrosive stuff sucked . Add braking hea to speed the chemical reaction. Agitate some to be sure.
Only concern i had was the failure part ..I didn't see anything else at this point.

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
I agree BUT where to you by coated parts from ? I'm having a hard time to locate those .
RockAuto has coated Remanufactured.
If your calipers are a little rusty but are working fine, lube the pin and reuse.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,249 Posts
Oh come on ..i'm sure plplplpl would love to have one of those :p

But I'm throwing you a curve ball this time. It's on a different (but equally important) subject.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
RockAuto has coated Remanufactured.
If your calipers are a little rusty but are working fine, lube the pin and reuse.
Posted a pic .. i'm not too concerned yet about them as long as they are not failing :)

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

But I'm throwing you a curve ball this time. It's on a different (but equally important) subject.

Without getting into a political discussion about using them to keep a province or "country" on their side of the border ... we are good :p I'm sure others have better answers :)

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thats what inner walls of older used caliper pistons look like in our part of the country coated or not. If they're not sticking they're doing the dirty grunt work to stop your 4400 lb Pilot
True ..but it kinda threw me off since my 06's with over 200k those buggers don't even come close to the POS that I have on the 2015 and shes only got 106k on her. :)

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,260 Posts
Posted a pic .. i'm not too concerned yet about them as long as they are not failing :)
Well if they fail you will definitely know it pretty quick. I actually had brakes totally fail on me once on a fleet vehicle I drove. Brake line burst when I applied the brakes. Luckily I was far enough out of my vehicles with an emergency hand brake phase that I was able to hit the emergency brake pedal and get stopped without being involved in an accident. I always like the hand brake and wish more manufacturers still installed them.

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
A caliper usually has more life than 5 years. In most cases, the slide pin gets dry and sticks, then one piston begins to apply more pressure than the other causing uneven brake pad wear and this makes for poor braking. If you have signs of uneven brake pad wear, I'd replace the caliper. If you keep your original, make sure the pin is clean and sliding with no resistance.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A caliper usually has more life than 5 years. In most cases, the slide pin gets dry and sticks, then one piston begins to apply more pressure than the other causing uneven brake pad wear and this makes for poor braking. If you have signs of uneven brake pad wear, I'd replace the caliper. If you keep your original, make sure the pin is clean and sliding with no resistance.
These days with these stupid Honda parts on how they are now made ..i'm not surprised it's only 5 years old come November. i'll look into replacing them at my next brake job interval.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts