Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are now the proud owner of our second Pilot;
Bought a new SE FWD in 2008. Now has 184K, etc.
Recently bought a 15 LX, 4WD w/ trailer towing- 64.5K

After joining this site less than a week ago and reading up on all the things I've been neglecting. Among other things, I ordered off Amazon a cabin air filter to replace each.
The 08 has never been done, don't think the 15 had either.

Wow, just Wow! What were those engineers thinking when they designed the 08? Or lack there of! Are you kidding me?
Have you seen the sticky on replacing those? This is a cabin air filter for Christs sake, not an integral part of the suspension.

I'm SO GLAD I did the 08 first. Take this tab out, take these screws out, Let the Glove Box GB hang crooked. CUT this plastic piece out, loosen and bend this metal brace piece out of the way, then get to the door and replace. Then put it all back together. PITA!

Then came then engineers who were NOT STONED when they designed this Gen. (Or, maybe they were, that's why its night and day better?)

On the 15- NO TOOLS, NO CUTTING A TRIM PIECE OUT, NO LOOSENING A METAL BRACE, NO BENDING THE DOOR HANGING CROOKED, NO POPPING OUT A PIECE IN THE GB!
Nothing, nadda, NO TOOLS.
Push in on the sides of the glove box, let it hang down, remove the door, change the filter.
I can't even open a beer that fast!

I did the 08 first, then looked up the procedure for the 15.
Talk about pleasantly surprised!

WTH? They let a design for a consumer changeable cabin filter go to production like that? WTH?- the 08 I'm referring to.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,249 Posts

·
Registered
8,919 Posts
For my '03, I wait until the dealer service department has a discount on the cabin air filter replacement.

·
Registered
9,249 Posts

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,834 Posts
I hope you didn't have to cut the plastic trim piece which covered the metal bar. If you did, your cabin air filter was the original one.

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
I hope you didn't have to cut the plastic trim piece which covered the metal bar. If you did, your cabin air filter was the original one.
From what I understand, that was the case. :eek:

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am the OO of my 08. I knew it was the original one. I actually thought it would be even dirtier TBH! LOL

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,834 Posts
My 2005’s cabin air filter was disgusting at 30k miles. I can’t imagine what yours looked like. After that I changed the replacement interval to 15k miles.

I’d be willing to bet the screen for your rear blower is clogged with dust. @plplplpl here is your Batman sign to post that link.

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
I stand at the ready.

Good and often neglected advice, it doesn't appear in the owner's manual. It'll save you from scratching your head one day wondering why the there's no air, hot or cold, blowing out into the second row (spoiler: that thermistor, aka thermal resistor, aka thermal cutoff, aka rear power transistor, blew). The hardest part of this job is just finding out about it and then finding it. :)

To clean the rear blower fan, move the driver's seat all the way back, then remove the driver's side panel under the center console between the driver's seat and the gas pedal. The panel just snaps out and it's easiest if you start pulling near the gas pedal.

View attachment 140126

View attachment 140127

1 - 10 of 10 Posts