Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am absolutely dreading this :28:. My registration is not due until January, but I just wanted to have an idea on what to expect.
For those that have gotten their renewal for October...what's the damage?

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
is'nt arnold propsing lower car taxes...or was it higher...;) :eek: :eek:

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
It's about 3x whatever you paid last time around. 2% of MSRP for new cars, then goes down the slightest bit each year thereafter (depreciates over 11 years).

Just rec'd the renewal for our other car ('00 Lexus GS): $556 vs $238 last year. CA Pilots will be in the $600 neighborhood.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Try the following link

<a href="http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vlf/vlf_qa.htm">DMV VLF Faq</a>

but to answer your question directly,

Q. What is the VLF and how is the amount determined?

A. The VLF is part of the fee due upon initial registration and annual registration renewal. The fee is calculated at a sum equal to two percent (2%) of the purchase price of the vehicle and depreciates over an 11-year period. (Revenue and Taxation Code Section 10751-10753.2)

So let's say you purchased your Pilot for $30k, then 2% of that is a whopping $600! Add to that all the other mumbo jumbo the DMV tacks on and you may be looking into mid to high 600s!

It's going to get ugly, folks.

Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
102 Posts
According to;

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vlf/vlf_qa.htm

The Vehicle License Fee is calculated as 2% of the depreciated purchase price, but in the last few years we have only paid 33% of it.

For example if the depreciated value is $30K, 2% = $600, last year the actual payment would have been $200, so the increase would be $400.

VLF is only part of what you pay each year, there are a bunch of other fees tacked on too.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Nick Shepherd said:
According to;

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vlf/vlf_qa.htm

The Vehicle License Fee is calculated as 2% of the depreciated purchase price, but in the last few years we have only paid 33% of it.

For example if the depreciated value is $30K, 2% = $600, last year the actual payment would have been $200, so the increase would be $400.

VLF is only part of what you pay each year, there are a bunch of other fees tacked on too.
holy crap....that is a load of bull$hit..... that is a lot of money :3:

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
Assuming you've got regular (not personalized) plates, the additional fees are in the $45 neighborhood (on top of the 2% depreciated value). That assumes you're not coughing up money for Smog.

This tripling really sucks...we have 2 cars with registration due within a few weeks of each other...plus my lease is up on the Lexus and I'm getting a new car (undepreciated 2% whack over the head, ++ fees).

I'm looking at $800 reg on the new one, then a 3 week break, then $650 or so on the MDX. $1450 to Gray Davis, just in time for the Holidays. The "old" $500 or so for both was manageable, but $1450? That's more than my friggin' mortgage payment!

:3:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I agree, :3: :3: :3:

I FINALLY can afford a new car (the Pilot is my first new vehicle), and this SH!T happens... :3: :3: :3:

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Nick Shepherd said:
Just curious, what do you lucky folks in other states pay?

In IL we pay $78 per year. 2 or 3 years ago they increased the fees from $40 to the current $78. It became a big political issue....

·
Registered
449 Posts
Nick Shepherd said:
Just curious, what do you lucky folks in other states pay?
I pay $33 in WA thanks to Tim Eyman and his merry band of initiative signature gatherers at www.permanent-offense.org. An initiative was passed that repealed the state's regressive car tab taxes (similar to what CA is experiencing now).

They are now working on an initiative that will reduce state property tax rates by 25%.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Just paid mine....the Tax is $631.46, but my state started an initive to get rid of vehicle taxes in all localities, so right now it is stalled at a 70% reduction of the value up to $20,000 or something like that, I think. So, what I had to pay was $290.21. Before the phasing out of the tax liability, we did pay more in taxes for our cars than for our home. I think our locality has a really high rate for autos....$3.25 per $100 of value. Real estate is something like .60 per $100 of some percentage of the assessed value of the home.

Tax rates are set by each county here, not by our state.

·
Registered
102 Posts
my3kids said:
Just paid mine....the Tax is $631.46, but my state started an initive to get rid of vehicle taxes in all localities, so right now it is stalled at a 70% reduction of the value up to $20,000 or something like that, I think. So, what I had to pay was $290.21. Before the phasing out of the tax liability, we did pay more in taxes for our cars than for our home. I think our locality has a really high rate for autos....$3.25 per $100 of value. Real estate is something like .60 per $100 of some percentage of the assessed value of the home.

And what state are you in?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I live in Bluffton, SC. We just paid property taxes on our '03 CR-V, which are required each year to get your tags renewed. Our vehicle listed at $17,500 for value and we paid $420 in taxes.

OUCH!

·
Registered
393 Posts
my3kids said:

Wow, your property taxes are about half of what we pay!!! Consider yourself lucky.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
my3kids said:

Where in Virginia? I just paid my car tax, pretty cheap (and Gov. Warner was required by law to balance the budget, and still managed to re-open a number of DMV offices :) without raising taxes) and Prince William County lowered my real estate rate but raised the assessment for a mostly 0 dollar net result. :D

·
Registered
393 Posts
jay said:
Where in Virginia? I just paid my car tax, pretty cheap (and Gov. Warner was required by law to balance the budget, and still managed to re-open a number of DMV offices :) without raising taxes) and Prince William County lowered my real estate rate but raised the assessment for a mostly 0 dollar net result. :D
okay, you are even luckier.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Pilot4Biking said:
okay, you are even luckier.
Yes, but it's only 58 degrees here. This time last year, it was closer to 70 at this time of year and day. And the weather guesser's are already posting frost warnings.:(

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Is this for real ???

1 - 20 of 56 Posts