Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a pilot to buy 2015 is my choice i found one in my area but is sold as is price is 20k it has 128,805 km i can get the price done to $18000 when i called dealership and asked what is wrong with it why its sold as is they said previous owner was fixing it at local garage not Honda dealership there is no record that why thy cant certified it. What i am thinking is to inspect this car drive it and take it to the Honda dealership for full check up and certification. I have uploaded some images of the car and from the image it looks really good. There is no reported accidentand one owner.

What do you guys think about this.

Here is the description of the car
Description:This vehicle is being sold "AS-IS" unfit, and is not represented as being in road worthy condition, mechanically sound or maintained at any guaranteed level of quality. The vehicle may not be fit for use as a means of transportation and may require substantial repairs at the purchaser’s expense. It may not be possible to register the vehicle to be driven in its current condition.

Thanks guys

Attachments

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,947 Posts
Did you take a look in the engine bay and underside of the Pilot? If you are seriously considering this Pilot definitely get it inspected at your trusted shop. Also check Carfax. Also check Edmunds or KBB to determine if it’s being sold at fair market value.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Have it inspected (maybe independently) and find out what's possibly wrong. Run a Carfax on it to see reported accident history. Inspect the title to see if there's a rebuild or flood history clouding it. Run the VIN by your insurance company and see if they will have any problems. Ask the dealer specifically if the car is part of any lemon-law action.

At the other end of the spectrum, the dealer may not have any service records so can't offer the car as CPO with the normal CPO warranty. That doesn't mean the car hasn't been serviced, it just means they can't verify what's been done. This is pretty much what they are telling you up front. It's up to you to decide/figure out if there's more to it than that. FWIW, my car would fall into this category, with all but the airbag recall and warranty work performed outside a dealer's service bays.

Perspective: The value that comes from buying a car from a dealer lot is exactly the piece they are disowning. Except for the clean-and-detail, buying this particular car from the dealer is the same crap-shoot as buying a similar one from a private party. Line up your financing in advance with your own bank or CU, and go shopping. When negotiating on this one, think of it the same way. Use the "private party" comp numbers for price levers. I don't keep a finger on the used markets since I'm not looking to sell, so have no idea if $20k is good or bad for that particular car where you are and with the reported miles. The pics present the car well.

Remember that there's a major (US$2-3k at the dealer) service due shortly on the timing belt and related bits, plus new spark plugs and valve adjustment. There are known warranty issues around cylinder damage and the Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) system, so consider a compression and leakdown test plus plug inspection as part of any serious pre-purchase inspection protocol. There are other watch-out issues around front suspension and compliance bushings, a rear driveshaft and support bearing recall that demand attention too. Some browsing here in the forums will give you a good idea what problems have bothered existing owners.

Good luck in your search!

Reactions: Tacoma'03Pilot

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
811 Posts
Every used car that isn't CPO is sold "As is-No warranty" so that shouldn't be as much of a concern. (Unless there's something different in Canada) Assuming it's in good condition, the price doesn't seem too high. Have it inspected. Also the service that will be due in about 20,000 miles should not exceed $2,000 unless you're being seriously ripped off.

So take it to a shop you trust and have them inspect it, purchase the CarFax and make your best guess whether it's a good purchase based on the info from those 2 things. Go with your gut, but from the pictures it looks to be in fine condition. Good luck!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just keep in mind that Carfax isn’t all that it’s made out to be. Only if the damage is ‘reported’. I’ve looked at several cars at dealerships that were repaired with no Carfax history.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
I'd bet the dealer knows full well why they're selling it "as is," but if you buy it you may find out later.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Yeah, there's nothing on that VIN (5FNYF4H9XFB503413).

However, it appears to be well cared for, clean and new(er) tires which leads me to believe the PO cared for it. It's quite easy to tell.

It might be worth an inspection by a mechanic and get their opinion if the price is right.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
811 Posts
aren’t most used cars that aren’t certified sold “as is”? This doesn’t seem like a red flag to me. Especially if it has clean CarFax and the jnspecthon from a mechanic comes out clean.

·
Registered
645 Posts
aren’t most used cars that aren’t certified sold “as is”? This doesn’t seem like a red flag to me. Especially if it has clean CarFax and the jnspecthon from a mechanic comes out clean.
Yep. Unless you're buying CPO or some aftermarket warranty, used cars are sold AS-IS. As with any used car, you want to do your due diligence. Thoroughly test drive it, research common issues on forums and have a trusted mechanic inspect it. If anything feels funny, walk away. Pilots are a dime-a-dozen anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts