Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 honda pilot . There is a buzzing noise or whining noise, that I can hear while driving, when accelerating from 20-35. After 35 its gone and before 20 I don't hear it. It only happens when I step on gas, if I step off gas on 29 mph it stops but if I press down again on 27mph the sound is back until I hit pas 35 mph. I need help I don't know why it is doing this. I have a 2005 Honda Pilot with 135k miles on it

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Check the main cat heat shield under the bottom of the car or the pre-cat heat shields on the front and rear of the engine. Mine have been tied down with a 14ga soft galvanized steel wire a long time ago and no buzz or rattle ever since.

Reactions: Quadad

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
True, could be a heat shield, if it's not alternator whine. A video would help distinguish between an alternator whine and a heat shield rattle.

Mine is rattling a bit at red lights and stop signs. I've bought a couple of large hose clamps and will get around to using them to fix it either when I do my winter servicing in November or before that if it gets under my OCD skin. Eric the Glib Car Guy shows how you can double up on hose clamps if you need more circumference. I wouldna thunk about that.

·
Registered
1 Posts

• I have a 2005 honda pilot . There is a buzzing noise or whining noise, that I can hear while driving, when accelerating from 20-35. After 35 its gone and before 20 I don't hear it. It only happens when I step on gas, if I step off gas on 29 mph it stops but if I press down again on 27mph the sound is back until I hit pas 35 mph. I need help I don't know why it is doing this. I have a 2005 Honda Pilot with 135k miles on it
    I have a 2005 honda pilot . There is a buzzing noise or whining noise, that I can hear while driving, when accelerating from 20-35. After 35 its gone and before 20 I don't hear it. It only happens when I step on gas, if I step off gas on 29 mph it stops but if I press down again on 27mph the sound is back until I hit pas 35 mph. I need help I don't know why it is doing this. I have a 2005 Honda Pilot with 135k miles on it
    I have 2003 Honda Pilot and last week mine did the same thing then I got on highway and it stopped pulled in at home then that morning got up to take wife to work went 3 Mike's down the road and it died. I got it to turn over very drone another 100 yards then dies and has been dead since. I read the codes and they came up crankshaft position A sensor and Idle air control valve. I replaced both and the fuel pump and checked for fire and gas they getting both but wont crank. Could it be something in the rear like the catalytic converter.

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
258 Posts
Ours is whining also- sounds like power steering pump as it gets louder when we turn. 214014 miles 2005 EX

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
If the whining is coming from the power steering, check out the O-ring first. It's part number 91345-RDA-A01 - the new and improved orange Power Steering Inlet Joint O-Ring which replaces the troublesome black one.

Here's a how-to with pics from the Accord forum: DIY Power Steering Pump O-Ring TSB - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Here's my favorite Youtube how-to, where you can hear the guy say "pukin'":

I've also attached a PDF how-to.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
True, could be a heat shield, if it's not alternator whine. A video would help distinguish between an alternator whine and a heat shield rattle.

Mine is rattling a bit at red lights and stop signs. I've bought a couple of large hose clamps and will get around to using them to fix it either when I do my winter servicing in November or before that if it gets under my OCD skin. Eric the Glib Car Guy shows how you can double up on hose clamps if you need more circumference. I wouldna thunk about that.

Almost made it to November, but just couldn't stand it anymore. Drove it in to trusted mechanic early in the morning after a sleepless night and by afternoon it was fixed by the book, no hose clamps or anything. OCD wins again. ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts