Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm buying 2012 EX-L with 75,000 miles on it. The guy took good care of the car. What maintenance and approximate cost is waiting for me within next 50,000 years or 5 years? Currently the car has new tires and brakes changed 2 years ago.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Compare maintenance records to what is called out in the 2005 Pilot maintenance guide (last year before the maintenance minder system). If the timing belt/water pump/tensioner hasn’t been replaced this will set you back ~$1k. That is the most expensive of the maintenance items between 7yr/75k and 12yr/125k.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
VCM is the big question you should prepare to handle. If the chambers, rings, and plugs are gummed up in the VCM cylinders, you are going to be out a lot of $$ or have to put up with vibration and misfires. If it is pearl-white, then you might have paint peeling problem between the windshield and sunroof too. Engine mounts suck on this generation. Lots to look after.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the owner of this vehicle told me he never changed the transmission or awd oil to date. He only did oil change, tire rotation, breaks himself.

I find it hard to believe that MM did not have a code for these in 7 years. Is it possible?

Thanks,
Alex

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
MM is a tame animal - it can be reset by pressing a button. And it does not matter what MM says. You can change the tranny fluid yourself as long as you have a 17mm socket, 12" extension, and a 3" breaker bar. You do not even need to jack the car up. Same about AWD oil but this time you need 4-5' or a 1/2" plastic hose. Timing belt is a different story.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MM is a tame animal - it can be reset by pressing a button. And it does not matter what MM says. You can change the tranny fluid yourself as long as you have a 17mm socket, 12" extension, and a 3" breaker bar. You do not even need to jack the car up. Same about AWD oil but this time you need 4-5' or a 1/2" plastic hose. Timing belt is a different story.
Thanks, I didn't know this. How bad is it that tranny and AWD oils have not been changed in 7 years/75,000 miles? Is it possible that MM has not displayed service code for them yet?

Thank you again!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
It’s not ideal that they have not been changed, but not the end of the world either as long as the fluids haven’t been overheated.

For the rear differential I would replace the fluid (use only Honda/Acura VTM-4 fluid) then do a second replacement 5k miles later.

For the tranny fluid I would do a flush which for Honda is a 3x drain and fill driving a few miles in between each drain and fill.

I’m also guessing the transfer case fluid has never been changed. I’d replace it now and then again in 5k miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi a1gdPaxanm, I'm going to a dealership to look at a 2012 EX-L with 69,000 miles. Just curious what you paid. I've been trying to research a fair price. Thanks in advance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
J3C
Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums
Piloteers.org forum community offers tech info, troubleshooting, modification DIY’s and discussion for the Honda Pilot SUV.
Full Forum Listing