Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Pilot dreams continue... :roadtrip:

I know some of you bought your Pilots through Costco... can you tell me a little more about it? Robrecht said the Costco price is MSRP - $1000. Is that universally true? Was it a hassle? There are no Costcos in my state, so I assume there are no Costco dealers in my state, but I could drive to Texas or Kansas for a decent deal.

Also, has anyone bought through Sam's? There don't seem to be any Honda dealers in Oklahoma that participate, but again, I could go to Dallas easily enough for the right price. And since I'm already a member, it would be more convenient than signing up for Costco.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
No hassle whatsover, really friendly & helpful dealer (free delivery to neighboring state and an additional $200 off on installation of foglights and bumper garnish (gotta have bumper garnish).

MSRP -$1K was the '03 Costco discount in PA, which the dealer happily offered to continue for '04 for me. Now, when I told him I wanted to participate in the Costco program I didn't specify a year (but I knew he wouldn't be getting any more '03s). In other words, I didn't want to say something like, "Gee, is there an official '04 costco price yet," on the chance that he might say, "No way, buddy, what are you kidding? '04s are MSRP. Call me back in 6 months." Instead, he looked up to see when his next Sagebrush EXL-RES was coming in and discovered that, low and behold, he didn't have anymore '03s coming in, but he didn't see any reason why he couldn't give me the same deal on an '04, which I thought was OK as long as there wasn't going to be a price increase.

Hope that's helpful!

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
The Costco price for me way over here in StarbucksCity was like $300 less than MSRP for an EX-L. I don't know if it makes a difference with leather. Nowhere NEAR $1,000 off! But the dealing was simple, and actually fun. No pressure at all, but that may have been because my salesman was cool.

All you do is go to the website, submit your costco membership # and they tell you the nearest official Costco Rep's name and number.

In my case, I submitted it on the computer, walked out to my kitchen and the phone was already ringing. I let the machine pick up and I hear "Aimee this is P.J. ...I see you're interested in a Pilot?" So be prepared, you won't be anonymous when you pick a dealership. This computer age is kinda scary.

The B.S. 2nd sticker on a naked Pilot at my dealership was $35,500 and people around here were actually paying that, making it hard to talk them down. Costco was the way to go for me. But I know a guy who just walked into the same dealership and paid $28,500 on an EX Without Costco. And they threw in 24 CASES of coke. (coke distributer is behind the 'honda store'-as it's known in our house)

So I don't know Tracy, you seem pretty assertive, I have no doubt you could work them for a great deal on your own.

Have you driven one yet? (You probably already mentioned this, I apologize if you have)

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I just have to post again, because my post # was evil.
:22:

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
74PILOTMOM said:
Costco was the way to go for me. But I know a guy who just walked into the same dealership and paid $28,500 on an EX Without Costco. And they threw in 24 CASES of coke. (coke distributer is behind the 'honda store'-as it's known in our house)

So I don't know Tracy, you seem pretty assertive, I have no doubt you could work them for a great deal on your own.
AFAIK, there's no reason not to bargain down further from the Costco discount if you want to be assertive. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
74PILOTMOM said:
All you do is go to the website, submit your costco membership # and they tell you the nearest official Costco Rep's name and number.
The problem is, I'm not a member, and since there aren't any Costcos at all here in OK, I don't want to join just to find out if there are any dealerships here, since the answer is likely to be no.

Maybe (and thanks ;)). The problem is, I have done what you should never do - I have decided that I want a very particular car (sage EX-L). So it's not like I can do what I would normally do - walk away and go to the next dealership, or pick one of three acceptable colors. Therefore, they're going to have me at a disadvantage. It would help if I could get some kind of guaranteed discount. Either that, or send my dad to make the deal - he's The Man when it comes to buying cars.
"You want to charge my daughter how much?" - :yodaddy:

Have you driven one yet? (You probably already mentioned this, I apologize if you have)
You mean you haven't kept up with the intricate details of my Pilot shopping history? I'm hurt. ;)

:blahblah: <-- this is Tracy babbling about Pilots even though she doesn't even have one yet

Yes, I have driven one. We stopped by a dealership the day before the '03s were supposed to hit the streets, hoping they would have them early. They did. The salesman was very cool and encouraged us to take a long test drive, even though we told him there was no way we were buying that day. We decided that day that it was a question of when, not if. Actually, we kind of decided that even before we drove it, but seeing it in person made it official.:crazyeye:

Hmmm... I think I like these new smileys a little too much!

·
Registered
461 Posts
I tried using Costco. I called the dealer they referred me too who was so nice and so helpful and was so pleased to tell me that my new Pilot would come with a $500 discount off the MSRP(after they had installed a bunch of accessories that I neither wanted nor needed)...what day did I want to come and get it?? I instead sent out some emails telling the dealers I was ready to buy and would take the lowest offer. I immediately got about $3000 off the MSRP. I don't think a whole lot of the Costco program, at least on popular models. Might have had a much different experience if I'd been shopping for a Tarus. Not sure....

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
74PILOTMOM said:
I just have to post again, because my post # was evil.
:22:

:19: I love this post!!!

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
my3kids said:
I tried using Costco. I called the dealer they referred me too who was so nice and so helpful and was so pleased to tell me that my new Pilot would come with a $500 discount off the MSRP(after they had installed a bunch of accessories that I neither wanted nor needed)...what day did I want to come and get it?? I instead sent out some emails telling the dealers I was ready to buy and would take the lowest offer. I immediately got about $3000 off the MSRP. I don't think a whole lot of the Costco program, at least on popular models. Might have had a much different experience if I'd been shopping for a Tarus. Not sure....
$3K off MSRP, wow! I did more or less the same thing but couldn't find a comparable deal within 1,000 miles. When, where, and what did you buy?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Sam's Club Auto Buying Service

I have been checking the Sam's website on a regular basis and they have yet to put the '04 Pilot info/prices on their website. I called them and they said "yeah, we know it needs updating but we don't have our contract with Honda yet for the '04s." Guess we'll have to patiently wait.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
tracy said:
The problem is, I'm not a member, and since there aren't any Costcos at all here in OK, I don't want to join just to find out if there are any dealerships here, since the answer is likely to be no.
It is a bit of a pain to join just to get the info, but if no better options are available to you, the $45 Costco membership fee is completely refundable for any reason. You may end up liking the Costco online store. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Costco evangelist, haven't even been to our local store yet, though mother-in-law say it's great. :blahblah: :runaway:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also got MSRP - $1000 for an '04 Pilot in PA. Local dealers were saying MSRP and since there was no inventory at the 3 I visited, I believe them. I obviously haven't taken delivery yet, but it's been smooth so far. I also bought my '02 Passat through Costco for just under Edmunds TMV price. You may be able to bargain for better but the buying experience is the way it should be.

"Here's the price..."
"Okay, I'll take it."

Then the next 2 hours are spent telling me about my new car, instead of playing stupid games with salespeople.

·
Registered
365 Posts
We purchased our 2003 Accord EX V6 though Costco program in Michigan and saved about $2300 off MSRP. My dad looked at a CRV and it wasn't nearly as good a deal, more like $500 under MSRP. We have our 2004 EXL-RES on order for mid September. Since we did not know the pricing at that time, we wrote on the order the 2003 Costco price (about $800 over invoice), and agreed that the purchase price on the 2004 would reflect whatever Honda increased the MSRP by, which seems to be about $300. Like any car buying program, it seems to vary from model to model and state to state, but there is no harm in looking. We have been Costco members for some time, and are overall pleased with their services. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Re: Sam's Club Auto Buying Service

gymeni said:
I have been checking the Sam's website on a regular basis and they have yet to put the '04 Pilot info/prices on their website. I called them and they said "yeah, we know it needs updating but we don't have our contract with Honda yet for the '04s." Guess we'll have to patiently wait.
What happens if you try for a 2003? If the dealer doesn't have any 2003s, he might give you the same deal on a 2004. That's what my Costco dealer did.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Re: Sam's Club Auto Buying Service

robrecht said:

What happens if you try for a 2003? If the dealer doesn't have any 2003s, he might give you the same deal on a 2004. That's what my Costco dealer did.
Well, not that it matters for me now. I just checked their website again and they've now got the Honda 2004 info ready to go, HOWEVER, there are no dealers in my area who participate. :mad: On to Plan B.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Re: Re: Sam's Club Auto Buying Service

gymeni said:

Well, not that it matters for me now. I just checked their website again and they've now got the Honda 2004 info ready to go, HOWEVER, there are no dealers in my area who participate. :mad: On to Plan B.
What about neighboring states, eg, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia? New Orleans is a great place to visit! You could spend some of that $1,000 on Cajun shrimp and hear some Dixiland jazz! I just love the food and music in New Orleans.

Got side tracked--I don't know if any dealers in those states participate, but if you call Costco they can tell you. But maybe you've already checked? In which case, please ignore this post, except for the part about Cajun shrimp and Dixieland jazz.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I checked out the Costco price here in Long Island NY. It was a joke. There was 1 dealer (out of the 6 or so in the area) that took the Costco price. When I went to the dealer he had a poorly photocopied sheet with the Costco label on top showing the "discount from MSRP" for each vehicle. The Pilot said "$100 under MSRP".
Costco Claims that the dealer should show you the invoice price and the actual Costco Price, but he claimed that this is all they had. As I left, he offered to give me a bigger discount, but I was already unhappy with the dealership (and the price).
Here in SUV-Land, Pilots are a very hot item (The MDX has up to a 3-month wait). I was lucky to pay MSRP minus Destination for a 2004 EX-L. I take delivery next week. Bottom line is... Shop around, Costco price is not the best in certain areas.

·
Registered
118 Posts
costco deal was not so great for me

I had a recent experience with Costco auto program in the NW. They qouted me over MSRP so I was surprised as the majority of dealers in the area came in lower than their qoute just by emailing their internet mgr. They claim supply and demand but I took it with a grain of salt as other dealers were at MSRP or lower.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Costco price is great for wimps like me :) I could never go in there and haggle. I have anxiete attacks thinking about my last full sticker Toyota Paseo purchase (what an idiot!) I quickly returned it with Daddy's help. It's a woman thing I guess(not all women I know, I know), but most of us already feel like targets walking around in public, let alone in a dealership with hawks circling. So $100 under MSRP with NO fighting was actually a fun experience. Of course getting my Pilot for less would have been more fun when i write out my monthly payment check...but I know I couldn't have done it.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts