Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My 2006 Honda Pilot unfortunately needs more work than it is worth so I am on the hunt for a new (used) car!

Most likely will be looking for somewhere between 2009 and 2014 and probably between 90,000 and 120,000 miles to find something within my price range!

Are there any model years to avoid (in my research it doesn’t look like many changes between the years)?

Any major mechanical/maintenance thins that will need to be done (I am guessing timing belt/water pump at 100kish miles). Also, is there any way of knowing if the belt/pump was replaced if there aren’t any service records? I called one dealer who didn’t have any records showing that it was replaced so he said he didn’t know?

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
depends on where you are buying the Pilot...look for rust in the back around the suspension area . take the vin if you can and lookup on carfax under car repairs ..it will list for you any shops that the pilot has been since the first day it hit the road.

Good luck!

·
Registered
882 Posts
Not a lot of changes in that time range. 2009 was the new model year so keep that in mind as you look. Get the VIN and see if Honda will run to show that all recalls have been done, with airbags being the biggest. Other items to watch out for in the 09-11 range are lower control arm bushings leaking black goop (extended warranty replacement), excessive oil consumption/plug fouling (cyl 1-4) and a two part recall fix for that. First reprograms the ECU, second replaces rings if it happens again. If you are at the 90K range, then you are coming due for timing belt. Over 100K, it should have been done along with plugs. Check that recommended services that the MM calls for have been completed. (oil changes, rear diff and transfer case if 4WD, transmission drain/fill, coolant change, brake fluid change). Check that your PS reservoir fluid is clean and clear with no bubbles.

Once you get one you really like, get a Carfax and see what it tells you, then get a comprehensive inspection to uncover things that may need replaced short term such as brakes, water pump, shocks, struts. Have the mechanic check the timing belt tensioner. They seem to go bad quite frequently. I'm on my 3rd. You may get some bargaining leverage if it needs some work in these areas. Other than that my 2011 has been solid with only an engine oil pressure sensor and a transmission pressure sensor going out. The rest has normal wear items.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
depends on where you are buying the Pilot...look for rust in the back around the suspension area . take the vin if you can and lookup on carfax under car repairs ..it will list for you any shops that the pilot has been since the first day it hit the road.

Good luck!
Thanks I am in New England (NH/MA/ME corner of the Seacoast), so rust is big. That is actually why I've decided not to pour the money in to my 06. The rear undercarriage/bumper (I don't know the actual term, my husband was the one who spoke with our mechanic) is completely rusted and needs to be replaced, there is a growing amount of rust on the panels near the gas cap (on both sides). If it were just the other mechanical fixes, I would probbly spend the $4K in works it needs and hope to get another 100,000 miles out of it.

Thank you for your recomendation! I have a handful of available pilots in our area that are in my price range ($9K-$14K) that I will call and get the VIN for and do a little research before going to view them tomorrow and Saturday!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not a lot of changes in that time range. 2009 was the new model year so keep that in mind as you look. Get the VIN and see if Honda will run to show that all recalls have been done, with airbags being the biggest. Other items to watch out for in the 09-11 range are lower control arm bushings leaking black goop (extended warranty replacement), excessive oil consumption/plug fouling (cyl 1-4) and a two part recall fix for that. First reprograms the ECU, second replaces rings if it happens again. If you are at the 90K range, then you are coming due for timing belt. Over 100K, it should have been done along with plugs. Check that recommended services that the MM calls for have been completed. (oil changes, rear diff and transfer case if 4WD, transmission drain/fill, coolant change, brake fluid change). Check that your PS reservoir fluid is clean and clear with no bubbles.

Once you get one you really like, get a Carfax and see what it tells you, then get a comprehensive inspection to uncover things that may need replaced short term such as brakes, water pump, shocks, struts. Have the mechanic check the timing belt tensioner. They seem to go bad quite frequently. I'm on my 3rd. You may get some bargaining leverage if it needs some work in these areas. Other than that my 2011 has been solid with only an engine oil pressure sensor and a transmission pressure sensor going out. The rest has normal wear items.

Thanks! Yes, I am torn between loving my 06 style Pilot and finding an 06-08 with lower miles or getting 09-11 style along with some newer convenience features (backup cam, bluetooth, etc). I suppose I won't know until tomorrow when I test drive the 09 style and see how I like it!
That is very helpful information to look for in terms of common issues, thank you!

After doing some digging on this forum it seems like the '11 has some potential transmission issues. Is this something I should be on the lookout for?

·
Registered
882 Posts
The only transmission issue I've had is with the 3rd gear pressure sensor failing. The part is around 20 bucks and about 45min to change out. If you are handy, you can do it yourself. Other than that I have not had any issues. 180K+ on my 2011 and driving it from OH to Boston next week for a vacation.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Thanks I am in New England (NH/MA/ME corner of the Seacoast), so rust is big. That is actually why I've decided not to pour the money in to my 06. The rear undercarriage/bumper (I don't know the actual term, my husband was the one who spoke with our mechanic) is completely rusted and needs to be replaced, there is a growing amount of rust on the panels near the gas cap (on both sides). If it were just the other mechanical fixes, I would probbly spend the $4K in works it needs and hope to get another 100,000 miles out of it.

Thank you for your recomendation! I have a handful of available pilots in our area that are in my price range ($9K-$14K) that I will call and get the VIN for and do a little research before going to view them tomorrow and Saturday!
Good Luck out there happy hunting :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts