Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Consumer Reports offers a service for $12 where they give you the wholesale price of the car, which includes any dealer incentive or dealer holdback. The concept is for consumers to negotiate up from the wholesale price as a starting point rather than negotiating down from the MSRP. For example, I purchased the Pilot EX Leather/Navigation. The Consumer Reports Wholesale price was $28,738. Now you must determine what is a reasonable profit for the dealer. For most cars, 4 - 8 percent over Consumer Reports Wholesale price is reasonable. I added 5%. Adding the wholesale price of $28,738 plus $1,438 for the dealer profit. I went shopping for my Pilot expecting to pay about $30,176. I ended up paying $30,210, which included wheel locks, cargo tray, rear splash guards, and all season floor mats. If you're about to buy a Pilot, I would highly recommend using this method. Page below shows the Consumer Report Wholesale Price for all models.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
MSRP for a Pilot with Nav is $32,980. The majority of consumers usually start with negotiating down from the MSRP. Usually, you would feel pretty good about getting $500 to $1000 off MSRP. Using the Consumer Reports method of negotiating price, I got $2,770 off MSRP! Here is the MSRP sticker price from my Pilot.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
You can get the wholesale price of any car at www.kbb.com or www.edmunds.com or www.carsdirect.com for free. I like Consumer Reports, but there's no need to pay for such information.

The information at the above web sites is usually more current than the "mail order" places anyway. The most recent price changes of early July by GM, Ford, and Toyota were reflected the very next day on the above sites.

You can't cut any kind of deal based on dealer holdback anyway, but depending on the manufacturer it's usually either 2 or 3%. The above sites have a list... but again holdback is not a bargaining point at any dealership I know of (as is DAA).

·
Registered
39 Posts
re: Holdbacks

Normally you are correct - dealers won't budge on the holdback, however there is a Jeep dealer in Hickory, NC who offers Jeeps at invoice, less incentives, less 1/2 the holdback. This is to ebay customers who tell him on contact that they are ebay members, and ask to speak to the ebay representative ( no commision). Granted, that's for a Jeep, but Hey, the Pilot is not looking much better, if one is to believe this forum! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
wwong said:
Consumer Reports offers a service for $12 where they give you the wholesale price of the car, which includes any dealer incentive or dealer holdback. ..........If you're about to buy a Pilot, I would highly recommend using this method..........
I basically agree, since I've used CR before in purchasing my Civic and it proved quite helpful in negotiating the price I wanted.

BUT, just pointing out, as CR does itself, that the info. they supply is only helpful to the extent that dealers WILL negotiate and there ARE any incentives to be considered.

Whereas CR aided my Civic negotiations and their info. surely provides negotiating leverage in many purchases, it proved a total washout in buying the Pilot. When a vehicle is as in demand and can't even be kept on the lot as the Pilot was through much of last year, the "rules" go out the window. The dealer is going to sell at MSRP or higher, there won't be any incentives, either, to figure in the bargaining, and the holdback won't be subject to discussion, anyway!

But, fortunately for y'all making your purchases now, there appears to be plenty of wiggle-room on Pilots that wasn't there before!

P.S. Unlike pre-Internet days, there's really no need to pay for info. from CR. I found the same thing on Edmunds and at least one other website.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
wwong said:
The Consumer Reports Wholesale price was $28,738. Now you must determine what is a reasonable profit for the dealer. For most cars, 4 - 8 percent over Consumer Reports Wholesale price is reasonable. I added 5%. Adding the wholesale price of $28,738 plus $1,438 for the dealer profit. I went shopping for my Pilot expecting to pay about $30,176. I ended up paying $30,210, which included wheel locks, cargo tray, rear splash guards, and all season floor mats. If you're about to buy a Pilot, I would highly recommend using this method. Page below shows the Consumer Report Wholesale Price for all models.
Thanks for the post! I note your attachment is page 1 of 8. Do they go on to tell what the dealer price is for accessories like floor mats and cargo covers etc.?

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
florida_guy:

Other pages in the CR are just list of standard equipment, safety, and negotiating tips. If you are going to get accessories from the dealer, bring a copy of the on-line prices from one of the various websites selling OEM accessories.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
wwong said:
florida_guy:

Other pages in the CR are just list of standard equipment, safety, and negotiating tips. If you are going to get accessories from the dealer, bring a copy of the on-line prices from one of the various websites selling OEM accessories.
Good idea. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Try This

I found this helpful only conceptually since I have proven it doesn't work when you buy a vehicle within the 1st 2 weeks of its initial release date.

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/carintro.html

See "Free Spreadsheet Download Section" in left column and then see examples for "Buyer's Offer Spreadsheet". This gets to the nuts and bolts of it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I finally got my Pilot ... Well almost...

Thank you very much for the CR info.
It was very helpful. I spent my last week going to different Honda dealers in my area and basically no one wanted to do much negociation with a car that they didn't have in stock. Others had the car but no intentions of negociating. Finally I found a dealer that will give me some room for negotiation.
I guess I didn't do too bad. I paid 30,170 for a Honda pilot EX-L DVD
It came with some little extra thing , you know nets, lock all weather mats.
But the the interesting part is that I copildn't decide between two colors; Silver or Black.
The dealer solve my problem, they are going to pick for me!
They were not sure wich one they can get, so tomorrow my sales guy is going to show up with the final paper work and my Pilot!

I think its kind of fun! :1: :2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts