Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I've been shopping for another vehicle recently and was set on either a pilot or a highlander of the same general year. I found a 2012 Pilot Touring with 145k miles on it for about 11k.

It was primarily used in Arizona up until it was traded in last month. Carfax shows good service records on it.

Aside from the VCM issues I keep reading about, are there any other reasons I should avoid a high mileage pilot?

My current car is a Element that I also purchased with about 140k miles. I've put about 100k, pretty much maintenance free miles on it since.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Most of the issues with the 2nd gen were corrected in the facelift (2012+). If the plugs have been in there since the timing belt (assuming it was done, which you should verify) and they look normal I'd say VCM hasn't been an issue and you can buy in confidence.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. According to the records, the water pump was replaced at 105,705. It says timing belt tensioner/idler checked. Nothing about replacing it though. I can't imagine they would replace the water pump and not the timing belt though. Besides that one little discrepancy, the maintenance records look perfect.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
If you know who did that work you could call them with the VIN and see if they have records...

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Thanks. According to the records, the water pump was replaced at 105,705. It says timing belt tensioner/idler checked. Nothing about replacing it though. I can't imagine they would replace the water pump and not the timing belt though. Besides that one little discrepancy, the maintenance records look perfect.
Wow, I've never heard of such a description in maintenance records. I have seen it the other way around where the timing belt, tensioner and idler pulley had been changed and the water pump checked (not changed). If it's unknown, they need to knock off another grand.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you know who did that work you could call them with the VIN and see if they have records...
I tried contacting the dealership that serviced it. They said they can only release that information to the person that brought the car in.
Wow, I've never heard of such a description in maintenance records. I have seen it the other way around where the timing belt, tensioner and idler pulley had been changed and the water pump checked (not changed). If it's unknown, they need to knock off another grand.
I just spoke with the dealership selling the car and they said they verified the timing belt was changed as well. I am going to look at the car tomorrow, so we will see how they verified it.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
I'm with @Nail Grease on this one, if you can't get concrete proof that the timing belt was changed I'd ask for another $1,000 off assuming you need to do that service right away.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I picked up the car on Saturday. Since all of the maintenance has been done at Honda dealerships, I was able to log on to the Honda website and view all of the history for the car. This confirmed the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, spark plugs, etc... at 105k.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Well I picked up the car on Saturday. Since all of the maintenance has been done at Honda dealerships, I was able to log on to the Honda website and view all of the history for the car. This confirmed the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, spark plugs, etc... at 105k.
I'd get a VCM deactivation device asap.
Post some pics so we can ooh and aah. 🙄

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Excellent news! It should be a great vehicle for you!

Definitely look at getting a VCM disabler just for the peace of mind. I'd also look at doing somewhere between 1 and 3 transmission drain and fills depending on if/when they were last done. Same with the rear diff and transfer case, they should both get a drain and fill. Maybe some brake fluid and power steering and you've now refreshed all of your fluids! The coolant was done with the timing belt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts