Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Buying a 2017 this week

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  ChrisA70 
#1 ·
Hi all. I’m trading my 16’ CR-V EX in this Thursday for a 2017 Pilot EX-L with sensing. I like the CRV except for the vibration at idle while in drive problem, and I don’t like the CVT transmission at all. It has 35,939 miles. I already ordered an SVCM for it since I had an Odyssey and I know all about that whole issue. I also see the 2016 has the injector failure issue that seems to have carried over to 2017. My brother is a service manager at a Honda dealership and his 2017 had the injectiors done already. I’m changing every fluid as soon as I get it(oil, trans, diff). Anything else to look out for? I’m going to have the dealership check it over fully anyway.

#2 ·
Your showing diff fluid so this must be AWD. You will want to change the transfer assembly oil also.

#3 ·
You're pretty well set coming from the Odyssey world. Very similar engine/transmission setups. Under the hood will look very familiar.

If you live in a hot climate or are thinking about towing then you should definitely consider the transmission cooler. The Pilot OEM cooling setup is even worse than the Odyssey's. The Honda add-on ATF cooler is pretty cheap and will help keep that crappy DW-1 fluid from overheating so badly.

#4 ·
You're pretty well set coming from the Odyssey world. Very similar engine/transmission setups. Under the hood will look very familiar.

If you live in a hot climate or are thinking about towing then you should definitely consider the transmission cooler. The Pilot OEM cooling setup is even worse than the Odyssey's. The Honda add-on ATF cooler is pretty cheap and will help keep that crappy DW-1 fluid from overheating so badly.
I'm up in Massachusetts(freezing right now), but I plan on putting the cooler in anyway. It's definitely pretty cheap, and looks pretty easy to install. I'm not going to tow anything, if I add a hitch it will only be for a bike rack. I will have roof mounted kayak carriers, but that shouldn't be any bearing on the transmission. That SVCM is going in right away. And this coming weekend I plan on doing all the fluids.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.