Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Buying a 2009 pilot with 270,000 miles on it for under 5 grand.

11K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  Pilotage2009 
#1 ·
Thinkinking about picking up a 09 pilot with over 270,000 miles on it for under 5 grand. Timing belt was replaced and the car is in good condition. Anyone have a third gen Pilot with high miles?

#2 ·
2009 is a 2nd gen. First year of the 2nd gen.

I mean the price is pretty low and you can verify that a major maintenance item was done. If it drives good, doesn't make any weird noises, the compliance bushings were done or look good (get under there and look), this could be a good buy.

I'd really feel more comfortable at half that but Hondas don't really get below $5000 in this area, no matter how beat or what mileage.

Maybe consider taking it to a 3rd party mechanic and pay for an inspection for your peace of mind?

Reactions: Nail Grease
#3 ·
Me personally, I'd never consider it. Especially if it's on a used car lot. To many miles. It may run good but a transmission failure could be looming. I'd try to find one with 100k less miles.

Reactions: Joten
#4 ·
I wouldn't either typically but if all I had was $5k... We are talking a price point that 99% of the people on this forum haven't dealt with since they were a kid, most never. I was in this price point for many years, the best vehicles I found in this range were my old Pathfinders. Hondas always had twice the miles at the same price.

Reactions: Joten
#11 · (Edited)
First, are you a decent wrench turner with tools? Are you ready to put in some time getting greasy? Because 270k means lots of deferred maintenance will pop up. If you are paying for all those repairs, it can add up fast. If you don't want to DIY, pass this one up for something with less mileage. And if the transmission goes, you have completely lost your bet and will probably wind up junking the car. If you really like it, it checks out clean, and you feel lucky, maybe $2500.

#14 ·
I would not purchase a Honda with over 170k. The last 10 years cars made to be disposable. Agree with Nail Grease, You might find yourself under this car with transmission or Differential or just electrical sensors going bad one after the other, Other than that car price is too high. go with 2008 with lower miles that was kept well.

#16 ·
I have a 2009 touring with 79k miles. It has every accessory that could be put on it at the time.
What do you guys think it is worth?

#17 ·
I have a 2009 Pilot with 360K miles on it. Here is what I would check based on my maintenance experience from 250K on. Front axle boots, not torn, if torn or gone, you get rust and noise. VTEC spool valve gasket leak above the alternator. There is a gasket set available for this in the aftermarket, not sure Honda has it. Front valve cover gasket oil leak. Similar to spool valve issue. The reason the front gasket is more likely the issue, is that the back bank gasket was replaced when the back cylinders had rings replaced. I did mine at 270K. Cat converters (front and back) may need replacing, if they have not already been done. Mine were done at 237K, do the aftermarket version. Of course you will want to know that the timing belt was done every 90K and with it the water pump etc. You are in middle of that cycle at 250K. In the interior, the window button cluster on the drivers door should be looked at, make sure they work especially the driver window switch and the locks. Mine went at 197K. Not a big deal, but get an LED interior light kit for the car if you buy it, the OEM lights are pretty bad when you see what the LED's do. The kits available on amazon include license plate bulbs, and they are great. With those installed I am not worried about a ticket or being pulled over for it not working. I lost one of the two , every 80K. Lastly, check the steering box, mine leaks. I add a touch of power stearing fluid about every 2500 miles.

#18 ·
I have 239K on my 2005 Pilot. I just did an engine gasket job because oil was leaking onto my timing belt. $1,600. I plan to keep my Pilot for at least 300K unless the transmission fails. But, I already own the vehicle, so my cost is zero. There are a lot of things that will have worn out or will be wearing out for a very high mileage vehicle. Even though most of the car is fine and can last indefinitely there may be enough expensive things that make the care a bad bet to buy. It would be a big risk to buy a vehicle with 275K miles on it unless you could verify the many things that could go bad are already fixed or are in good shape.

#19 ·
The 250,000 miles doesn't include the actual run time on the engine. Consider the idling time either waiting in traffic or at the store. You have expensive items like the catalytic converter, transmission, clutches in the AWD rear end and lower engine bearings, front end parts like the expensive power steering rack, ball joint and wheel bearings, rusting out brake lines or rusting out power steering hose ends. I'd never consider it. I bought my 2010 with 96,000 miles in mint condition with new brakes, tires, water pump, serpentine belt for $12,000. Your vehicle had those things done but probably back at 95,000 to 125,000 so that car is ready to have all those things done again plus everything else.
Plus consider your not getting the safety features in the 2017 models.

#20 ·
I'd let the condition of the body dictate whether it's worth it. REALLY take a hard look underneath for rust, and pay particular attention to the brake and fuel lines.

Our Pilot only has 130K on it and the only problems I'm encountering are all electrical. I'd try to check operation of everything from map lights to comfort features.

My daily driver is a 2000 Civic with 226K on the body and a junkyard B series motor with WELL over 300K on it, unrebuilt. Mechanically, this thing might as well be new. It's rusted through (2) fuel tanks and a rear subframe though. Bottom of the doors are rusting out and I'm getting typical rust spots over the rear wheels. The disintegrating body will be the death of it. Same is likely to be true of this Pilot.

#21 ·
My daily driver is a 2000 Civic with 226K on the body and a junkyard B series motor with WELL over 300K on it, unrebuilt. Mechanically, this thing might as well be new. It's rusted through (2) fuel tanks and a rear subframe though. Bottom of the doors are rusting out and I'm getting typical rust spots over the rear wheels. The disintegrating body will be the death of it. Same is likely to be true of this Pilot.
Rust makes me sad. :cry:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.