Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, New to the forum. I am looking at buying a 2007 Pilot with 270,000 miles.
That many miles scares me. It is price in my budget. Kelly Blue Book has it in the 4k to 6k. What do I need to lookout for that are or would be a pass on this Pilot? Opinions please! Thanks

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot 2WD
71 Posts
I have a 2006 Pilot with 342,000 miles. It still runs good. I get 19 mpg. I replaced the timing belt at 275,000 and adjusted the valves again. I do most of my own mechanic work. I have the engine oil changed every 7000 miles and have the transmission flushed every 60,000 miles. You can search my other posts to see what parts I changed and when.

With that many miles, I would want to know the maintenance records. The front end steering (tie rods), suspension, engine mounts etc. are likely worn out. If the idle is rough and/or the engine goes tick tick tick (valves need adjusting) then you will need to spend some money on it. Timing belts(about $1200 to have some one else change it) and spark plugs are good for about 100,000 miles. I would want to know where every oil leak is (some are tolerable and some are not). I would want to drive it a couple of days and see what codes appear. If you like mechanic work, or know of someone who will work cheap for you, then you could get another 100k miles out of this one. I would not want to offer more than $3000 for this one. I would look for one with less miles and well maintained.

For the real value, look up the trade in value. That will tell you what it is really worth.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,236 Posts
Here's a go-to Sticky that seems to have been made with someone just like you in mind. You should find it quite helpful. :)

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
No. Don't. Nope. I wouldn't.

Certainly not for that price. It be a lot different if you were the one who put the 270k, and were trying to get every mile you could out of it. If you want a 270k mile vehicle, buy at auction. Might find one with less miles for less $.
www.copart.com

Reactions: CPTDaniel

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2WD w Navi
26 Posts
Personally, I would avoid buying any car with that many miles on it.

Unfortunately, used car prices are really high right now, and it’s hard to find something driveable long-term in the 4-6k price range (at least in my part of the US. If that really is your budget, the thorough inspection and test drive mentioned above is a must!

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
A used Pilot is a damn good buy, but any vehicle with that many miles is something I would not touch. Way too many miles for who knows what kind of service and who knows what kind of driving style and general treatment to be put on that Pilot.

·
Registered
2006 EX-L (Should be an EX-V, 'cuz vinyl, lol)
103 Posts
If you can talk them down to $3500, do it. Then you can afford to spend some on repairs to ensure it works well. That said, I would insist on taking it to a mechanic to get it inspected before buying. Spending a little there could save you thousands if you buy a lemon. And if the seller won't okay that, run fast and run far.

Either way, just understand that a 270,000+ mile vehicle will require some work, and you won't truly know how expensive that will be until it's finished. If you like mechanic work, these are great, rewarding vehicles to work on. If you pay a mechanic to do your work, you might rack up several large bills quickly. It's a serious gamble.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Hello, New to the forum. I am looking at buying a 2007 Pilot with 270,000 miles.
That many miles scares me. It is price in my budget. Kelly Blue Book has it in the 4k to 6k. What do I need to lookout for that are or would be a pass on this Pilot? Opinions please! Thanks
Too many miles and probably a number of big maintenance items to be addressed unless you get it for cheap and diy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Documented maintenance records

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,177 Posts
What? 4-6K? In Califreakyfornia?
Could you be more specific? Like where and how much rust? The Subframe mounts? When it's due for it's next timing belt change? These are things we want to know!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What? 4-6K? In Califreakyfornia?
Could you be more specific? Like where and how much rust? The Subframe mounts? When it's due for it's next timing belt change? These are things we want to know!
I am in Mississippi. I truly think a hard no on this Pilot. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Thanks everyone. I am not a do it yourself person. The Pilot doesn't have a great service record. So I am passing. That many miles did send red flags. I went and read the buying guide posted. Thank you! Very helpful forum
There are plenty of Pilots out there. Take your time and be an informed purchaser to have the best results.

·
Registered
421 Posts
No. Don't. Nope. I wouldn't.
View attachment 148449
Certainly not for that price. It be a lot different if you were the one who put the 270k, and were trying to get every mile you could out of it. If you want a 270k mile vehicle, buy at auction. Might find one with less miles for less $.
www.copart.com
do you have a membership to Copart, purchased a car thru them? There is a Dayton Ohio location near me

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,236 Posts
That said, I would insist on taking it to a mechanic to get it inspected before buying. Spending a little there could save you thousands if you buy a lemon. And if the seller won't okay that, run fast and run far.
I'll say it again: the hundred bucks a pop I spent four or five times on having a trusted mechanic do a thorough once-over before I finally landed the Pilot I have now was the best money I've ever spent on car stuff.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We're in New Orleans and we've bought two pilots recently for $5k with less than 150,000 miles. Look on marketplace for private owners and expect to take them to the mechanic for minor things. We had a 2005 that got totaled by a hit and run driver while parked last summer but we found an 2007 to replace it.

·
Registered
2006 EX-L (Should be an EX-V, 'cuz vinyl, lol)
103 Posts
You're telling me everyone doesn't have service records like this on their cars? 🤣
I keep meaning to set up something like this, but I never think about it when I have time, lol.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,321 Posts
Rust in New England is our downfall. But so many "old " cars still look new in much of this country due to the lack of salt on the roads or in the air.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts