Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Pilot EX-L 4wd
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a 2003 EX-L 4wd this past July with 141k on the clock. Fast forward to today and realized my insurance partnered with carfax and now you get free detailed reports. So I checked out my pilot and lo and behold when I got it inspected last month, it was flagged with a mileage inconsistency. But, it’s had 2 timing belts replaced during its life (one only 2 years ago) and every other service done like clockwork at a dealership a couple towns away- oil changes, transmission services, suspension work, all recalls etc . So, I’m conflicted. I dunno if the seller did it on purpose or it was done sometime in the last couple of years. Best guess, it’s got about 70k more on the odometer than what’s showing. My fault for not forking over $50 for a carfax report but I guess the silver lining is knowing that the vehicle has been really well maintained by a dealership no less.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Interesting story but it seems the Pilot is serving your purpose well. Moving forward diligent routine maintenance will keep her that way.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,283 Posts
Who to believe, Carfax, the seller, or the dealer (don't they note down mileage when servicing)? Who to trust?

Answer: Trust in yourself.

Like @aggrex says, it's in your hands now. Hopefully good hands here on in.

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Did the seller specify in writing that the milage was 141k?
Hate to ask how much you paid.

·
Registered
9,475 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
60 Minutes recently republished this 1990 investigation on odometer fraud. I remember when it originally aired. I doubt odometer fraud is nearly as common these days now that we have services like CARFAX and AutoCheck.

·
Registered
2003 Pilot EX-L 4wd
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Who to believe, Carfax, the seller, or the dealer (don't they note down mileage when servicing)? Who to trust?

Answer: Trust in yourself.

Like @aggrex says, it's in your hands now. Hopefully good hands here on in.
I’m sure the dealer mileage reported via carfax is correct. I’m glad to find out that I don’t need to spend $900 on a timing belt, considering it was done 2.5yrs go. I guess what it comes down to is that I’d have preferred transparency, but I’d rather own a car with 220k that’s been well maintained than a car with 140k I knew nothing about. Turns out, I’ve owned both in this scenario (with only one car) and for some reason, I’m a little more confident in it now.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
How can you over write the mileage? It's in the ECU right?
I guess anything can be done.

Still Sounds like a good deal to me though. Well maintained Pilot for 3K?

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
60 Minutes recently republished this 1990 investigation on odometer fraud. I remember when it originally aired. I doubt odometer fraud is nearly as common these days now that we have services like CARFAX and AutoCheck.

It's more prevalent now than ever.

Reactions: aggrex and The Todd

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
It's more prevalent now than ever.
It's what I figured, yep.

At least there is a FREE Car Fax odometer fraud site?
Vid say give the car fax odometer fraud site the vin and your email and they will email you if there are any discrepencies?
The car fax itself is not free.

As a sidenote/tangent- I recently sold an Explorer 4x4 on Craigslist.
I got texts wanting me to go to their 'car fax' site and send them the car fax, etc.
I never did. Turns out, they didn't want to buy the SUV, they wanted to make money for this bogus car fax site!
Glad I never fell for it.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE
330 Posts
I recently sold an Explorer 4x4 on Craigslist.
I got texts wanting me to go to their 'car fax' site and send them the car fax, etc.
I never did. Turns out, they didn't want to buy the SUV, they wanted to make money for this bogus car fax site!
Glad I never fell for it.
That scam has been around for a while. To the OP, sorry it happened, but at least you know it was cared for. That means more to me than how much mileage it actually has.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE
330 Posts
It should be written to the ECU as well as the cluster. I think that's how Carly detects fraud, it reads the ECU and other components and compares.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts