Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just found you guys. I'm looking for an SUV for everyday driving and riding in bad weather but not necessarily off road, unless you consider driving on the beach in Maine off road. So I'm looking at the Pilot and the Highlander. Any thoughts? Do I go for a new Honda, which is in its first year. Lemmeknow.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I would buy another Pilot in a heartbeat!! It is roomier than the Highlander and you have the versatility of the third seat in the back which the Highlander does not have. My sister-in-law owns a Highlander and she is kicking herself that she didn't wait and get the Pilot. It also has lots of storage space. The interior is very well thought out and easy to use. The Pilot is just a dream to drive. I really don't think that you would be sorry if you bought one.:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
We bought the Pilot over other SUVs mainly for the 3rd row of seats (the DVD system was nice as well). We've had it now for a few weeks and love virtually every aspect of the vehicle. We did not look specifically at the Highlander, but we definitely have no regrets over purchasing the Pilot.

·
Registered
465 Posts
As far as quality concerns, which I assume you are most concerned about, you are going to find several threads on this site about "problems". But I would tell you that no car is 100% perfect - even those that have been in production forever. Look closely at the problem thread. While there are some members who have had serious problems, (and there are very few of those), most of the stuff is very nit-picky.

I personally have had one other first-production-year vehicle (not a Honda), and it was a complete and total nightmare. My Pilot experience has been wonderful. I will turn 10,000 miles this week, and don't have a single regret.

I think the Pilot has more character and substance than the Highlander, but its for you to decide which is right for you. You'll have more color choices on the Toyota, but color never mattered much to me, so that wasn't a deciding factor. The Pilot is a well thought out vehicle, as is evidenced by all of the reviews. And if safety is key, you've got to like the five star rating the Pilot received.

Good luck with your choice. Hope you'll stick around here as a member!

·
Registered
85 Posts
John,

I was set on a Highlander until I drove the Pilot. They both rode well and have good quality/safety/resale ratings, but the things that tipped the scale were:

1. Piot was better equipped from the start on the base vehicle. Dealers let you add your own options and not a predefined package making you pay for things you don't want. To get the comparable options I wanted without leather, was a factory order and 7 month wait.

2. Overall storage space and better designed cargo area with more room. Really liked the fact that you can get a 4 foot wide piece of anything from home improvement stores in the back laying down flat.

3. Higher safety marks in crash test ratings.

4. Interior lighting

5. Availability

6. Headroom - Highlander was very good but Pilot felt better.

7. 2nd row seat heat duct. Strange, but the Highlander did not have a heat duct in the 2nd row seat. Even my '89 Jeep has that.
Makes a difference for colder climates, especially for your toes.

Have fun test driving them both. I am sure one will fit your needs and likes!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I, too, liked the looks of the Highlander and went to drive one but there were none to drive. Went next door to the Honda place, drove the demo, and went for the Pilot.. No regrets after two months. My wife drives 95% of the time and I get to drive it the other 5%. We both are VERY happy with the product and intend on keeping it for a very long time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
BUY THE PILOT

There is no risk in buying a first year Honda, unlike other manufacturers. Also, remember that the Pilot shares the same platform with the Acura MDX, and in some ways the Honda Odyssey. The main sysytems (engine, transmission, 4wheel drive, interior systems) are tried and true from those vehicles. By the way, I own a Pilot and it's smoothness, quality, and funtionality are outstanding!!
Although the Highlander is a very nice vehicle, I believe that with the third row seat and larger dimensions that the Pilot wins out...Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
991 Posts
mine is coming up on 1000 kilometers, and love it.. You don't even hear the engine when driving.. The comparison between a GMC Jimmy and a Honda Pilot,,,,Lets just say "there is none"

Might want to wait a few months to check out the 2004 model,, either way, you are getting one of the best vehicles on the market for quality and price, and don't forget resale value.

rob:D

·
Registered
373 Posts
John Anello, You can't go wrong with either. We have both and would buy them both again.
Though they are similar type vehicles they are very different.
The prior posts make very good points.
I don't think of our Highlander as being inferior at all to our Pilot.
It comes down to what you personally want out of a vehicle at this time in your life. My wife mainly uses the HL, it has plenty of room for her needs and is easier to park. I use the Pilot for work and wanted the extra cargo capacity and height over traffic (I love the console).

The Highlander is a lower more luxury car like vehicle (think tall station wagon). The Pilot is a bigger more SUV like vehicle and sportier in style. Both drive very well and are overall quality vehicles that will give you years of service and a good resale value. To me the Highlander is a slightly better built vehicle (No rattles, scrunches, sharp edges, seat clunk, etc, with tires that are good in snow).

The AWD systems are different the HL has AWD all the time ours has traction control and VSC (very nice, most of the time), whereas the Pilot phases out the rear wheels as speed increases (not even noticable). Other than the tires on the Pilot both AWD systems work fine.
As Bigbarkingdog pointed out, HL's start out at a very low cost but they put everything into a bundle (try finding a cloth HL Limited if you want one) but then again our HL came with everything we wanted anyway. I just wish the Pilot had avalilable a moonroof, automatic headlights and heated seats and mirrors. I realize that Honda lets customers put accessories on by their own choice I still feel they cheaped out in some areas that should've been included like crossrails, rear mudguards, CD changer, etc. Our HL limited came with literally everything including vehicle colored door handles (I'm still not over that) and a full spare with a 5th aluminum wheel.
Lastly there's no Highlander site around that's like this one (by far the best there is).
Good luck.

·
Registered
89 Posts
BigBarkingDog sums it up best. These were the deciding factors for us also. We really liked the Sequoia (huge interior), but similarly equipped it just cost too much. We've had our Pilot for 3 weeks and we love it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I agree with all of the above.. I, too, wanted a Highlander.. I thought it was perfect as far as size, comfort, convenience, price, and power.. until I found out that the Highlander didn't offer a 3rd row.. Personally, one of the reasons we got an SUV was for the 3rd row.. in my case, it was pointless to have a "bigger" vehicle and not be able to seat more people.. we then turned our attention towards the MDX.. went to the dealer, test drove it.. loved it.. but the price just wasn't "right".. so when the Pilot came out, we decided on getting that and never looked back.. I even convinced one friend to buy a Pilot before I did.. and I talked another one out of getting an Expedition in favor of a Pilot.. they were sold on basically the same reasons as you see posted above..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you all for real?

Thanks for all your help, folks. I've never seen so many eloquent writers in one place. As an editor, I'm very impressed. It makes me think that all these emails are being written by individuals somehow connecting with the Honda company. Or are these emails edited by one person. Any one out there know? But even if so, you've all been helpful, even if some of you are company plants (don't get offended, please). Thanks.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Re: you all for real?

John Anello said:
Thanks for all your help, folks. I've never seen so many eloquent writers in one place. As an editor, I'm very impressed. It makes me think that all these emails are being written by individuals somehow connecting with the Honda company. Or are these emails edited by one person. Any one out there know? But even if so, you've all been helpful, even if some of you are company plants (don't get offended, please). Thanks.
Ha that is a good one.. Actually we are all individuals with our own Pilots.. Believe it, we just like Honda! No one is editing anything, as you can see in this forum we also have our complaints, and there is lots of them, but after all is said and done, we know we made the right choice.. This is what this forum is all about, getting info, opinions, complaints, and generally learning..

rob

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yeah, I'm a plant. You caught me... :bootyshak :moon: :30:

·
Registered
32 Posts
re: are you for real

I agree with gopilot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To the following:

jmd: I agree with gopilot.

Pilotless: Yeah, I'm a plant. You caught me...

Yeah, I'm for real. But I live and work in New York City. So not only am I skeptical about cars in general but I'm skeptical about a whole slew of people who absolutely adore a car. I'm buying my first NEW car, mostly for my pregnant wife, so this is real important to me...and them.

:) :)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
After 7+ months and about 9000 miles, I love my Pilot!

In fact, it was last January 3rd that I walked into my dealer and plunked down a $300 deposit on a vehicle they didn't even know much about yet. It arrived at the dealership on Friday, May 31st.

I figured if it's from the same platform as the Ody and MDX, it'll be a winner. I also figured that if I didn't like it for some reason, I'd have no problem selling it to someone farther down the waiting list!

Well my friends, the gamble has paid off!!!:D (No, it's not for sale!)

·
Registered
32 Posts
BUY THE PILOT

John Anello-

Only enthusiats usually frequent this type of web site...we are passionate yet honest about our vehicles. (Notice the compliments about the Highlander). My last vehicles before my Pilot were Amercan---'96 Eddie Bauer Explorer, 100,000 miles over 4 years, a solid truck that had me lease a '00 Mountaineer, a lemon from the third day I owned it, over 56,000 miles...this experience had me go back to the imports of which Honda is one of the best. A good barometer for vehicle values are the residuals that are set for lease rates. These residuals are estimates of the vehicles worth 3, 4, 5 years down the line. Honda residuals are usually some of the highest in the industry because of high quality, high resale, availability, great repair records, strong safety etc.....Example: The current Pilot has a higher % residual after 5 years than a 3 year Explorer, Envoy and others. Hope this helps.....

·
Registered
41 Posts
John,
My wife and I decided on the Pilot for the same reason you are looking at it now. My wife was sold on all of the safety features (5 stars in every catagory). I was sold on the value aspect as well as the smart and thoughtful interior.

I don't think you'd make a poor decision going with the Highlander, but I think you'd be better off with the Pilot...my .02.

App

·
Registered
373 Posts
John Anello, You raise a good point. Who is, THE MOLE?
There probably is one or more here.
Not everything posted is pro-Pilot but then a gain it could be just a ploy. I hate getting dirty so being a mole wouldn't work out at all for me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts