Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I park my 06 2wd pilot in the garage I can smell burnt oil. I looked under the car and I see the oil dripping from the exhaust pipe after driving it. When sitting idle no oil dripping.
Last week my car was at a dealer and they told me that I have a leak from PS pump and spool valve. I do not have any problem with my power steering, not tight and it does not make noise .
I am trying to find out the source of the leak? Should I change the PS pump ?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,290 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,587 Posts
Well if you don't want your oil to leak, replace the spool valve. As far as the PS fluid leak. You need to investigate where it's coming from. It could be from the rack and pinion or it could be as simple as a bad o ring that is common on many Hondas.

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
If it's the o-ring for your power steering, that's also an inexpensive fix.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought about using AT-205 but after reading reviews like this one I am not sure if it's worth the risk : "Had a slight leak at rack. Added AT-205 to power steering and drove the car 50 miles. Parked the car in the driveway overnite. The next morning power steering fluid was all over the driveway. The only thing left in the pump was brown froth. Had the car towed to garage and after having it checked over was informed that entire system (pump, hoses and rack) was junk. All the o rings and rubber seals were eaten away. Called the manufacturer and they weren't even mildly curious about what happened. I wouldn't use this product unless you are willing to gamble a $2000 REPAIR BILL"

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well if you don't want your oil to leak, replace the spool valve. As far as the PS fluid leak. You need to investigate where it's coming from. It could be from the rack and pinion or it could be as simple as a bad o ring that is common on many Hondas.
I don't care about the leak as much as about the smell. My garage is built in so all the fume eventually work it's way into the house.
Is the spool valve in a location that can drip on the exhaust?

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
Your call. Worked for me.

So go ahead and replace the spool valve and/or its gasket.

And are you/the dealer sure it's also the PS?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,587 Posts
I don't care about the leak as much as about the smell. My garage is built in so all the fume eventually work it's way into the house.
Is the spool valve in a location that can drip on the exhaust?
As long as oil is leaking onto something hot, it's going to smell. So either get it fixed or live with it. Oil isn't particularly pungent so I doubt it'll go into your house.

You can try that AT stuff, but aside from @plplplpl I've never heard anyone say anything good about those quick fixes. Could cause problems later on.

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
284 Posts
I thought my spool valve gasket was leaking but it was actually the PS line leaking down onto it, the dirty fluid looks almost like engine oil !

same issue I had last year. spool valve gasket is an easy fix and can be done anytime, just remove the oil filter first and have a fresh filter and oil to top off after otherwise you risk making a mess everywhere if you try to leave the valve body and everything attached. the high pressure line running from the top of the pump to the rack will eventually start leaking from the crimped areas of the hose. also honda has updated the o-ring design for the lines where they connect to the pump so use their new rings to keep air from being introduced into the fluid flow. you would see aeration in the reservoir.
new o-rings come with all new lines but they will eventually over time deteriorate

·
Registered
423 Posts
agree, make the repairs - its not clear if your comfortable doing the work or not. If not, you will likely save money going to an independent repair shop over a dealerships shop.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,185 Posts
I love the smell of Burnt oil in the morning....

..That gasoline smell....smells like......Victory

·
Registered
20 Posts
When I park my 06 2wd pilot in the garage I can smell burnt oil. I looked under the car and I see the oil dripping from the exhaust pipe after driving it. When sitting idle no oil dripping.
Last week my car was at a dealer and they told me that I have a leak from PS pump and spool valve. I do not have any problem with my power steering, not tight and it does not make noise .
I am trying to find out the source of the leak? Should I change the PS pump ?
I have the same issue with my '-07 ~ 245K - Dealer said I needed to replace the entire Rack and PS Pumps for ~$2k - that was in 2013. I added Power Steering Sealer Fluid (I think Bardahl?) and check the fluid regularly - still smell occasionally, but no issues for the past 8 years.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Leak = smell.
Have you checked the lower PS rubber hoses that conect to the metal lines? These dry rot with age and the rickety wire clamps they use don't help. They cut into the dry hose when tightened. These rubber hoses are cheap on RA.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
The spool valve gaskets are not a hard DIY.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Where is the spool valve? I watched few videos on other model year pilots and Odysseys . They are in different places in the engine. Is mine closer to the oil dip stick or below the air intake hose ?
2wd 06 appears to be on the drivers head. Here is the complete part.

Reactions: Alijoon
1 - 19 of 19 Posts