Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to ask this, but does anyone get an occasional smell of smoke (no smoke visible) or burning smell? It seems to be coming from my right rear, but I don't see anything. It has only happened twice, while accelerating around a right curve. I'm thinking maybe something is not aligned correctly. I don't see anything leaking.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
That's a scary thing, Macbeth! :eek:
What could that be? Does it smell like rubber burning or getting hot?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's rather like someone has just lit a match and blown it out right away, only without the smoke. It's very faint and rare. Everything looks fine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Brake pads maybe? When they are new they can cause quite a stink when they get hot....although that would not explain the rear part, unless the pads are rubbing the rotor or something...

No smell on mine....so far. Hope it's nothing serious.

I remember being on a train in France this summer which ran around 150 Mph, and every time it slowed down rapidly, there would be this strong burning smell for 4-5 minutes as the brake pads heated up then cooled down.

Perhaps the back pads are kicking in as you decelerate on the turn, and then burning a bit from the friction?

Dunno otherwise...

Anthony

·
Registered
5 Posts
RE:Burning smell

Looks like my issue is slightly diffrent than any post to date.

In my case, the smell comes from the air vents within the Pilot. Moreover, it appears to be hapenning only when it is cold when the climate control is enabled or gets solicited to provide heat. It seems to occur occasionally when I start the car and eventually kind of disapears, this is why it is hard to demonstrate to a mecanic. I start getting it late fall when frost is starting and it normally stops when the nice spring days return.

I have talked to a number of Honda shops about it and noone can tell me what it is, or maybe they do not listen to what I tell them about the issue.

I have a feeling it relates to the smal electric element that is used with the temperature sensor control which gets warmer in the winter and could generate the smell. But again, dealers shops do not find anything.

I still have a few months of waranty on this car but I would hate to not have this issue fixed before it runs out. Any idea on how I can get this resolved?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts