Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since my Pilot came with the OEM all weather mats, I almost threw out the second row OEM carpet mat. I made good use of it this evening. I needed something to cover more of this bumper besides the 3m application. The OEM carpet mat fit the bill perfectly.

- Used two kid proof fridge straps that I had on hand and mounted them using automotive trim adhesive to the inside of the cargo box. The top lid closes fine with these pliable straps.
- Drilled a hole into each of the plastic ends of the fridge straps and used the existing anti slip holes on the OEM mat to secure them using a screw/nut. This worked out great since the anti slip holes are recessed making fasteners flush now.

I'm pleased with the end product. Folds in and out easily. I'll probably get some black straps in the future but this will definitely protect the bumper from the stroller, baseball, etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nicely done. Where did you get the hardware? Definitely in my future.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Great idea. My OEM mats are just stored away in my basement doing nothing.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Very ingenious, I have been concerned about my dogs scratching that area when getting into my Pilot. This will be my next project!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks! The hardware I used was the appliance straps (3.99 for a pack of two), two screws, two locking nuts, and adhesive tape. Drilled 1/4 hole into the hard plastic ends of the strap and then just screwed together with the mat. I do have the soft part of the mat facing down (towards bumper) while in use as the back of the mat is course. I'm sure one could use nylon straps or something else as a flexible hinge.

I did cut the cargo mat to accommodate using the third row seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
really nice job! I'm going to do this mod on my 2019 burban... :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts