Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, the Redrock looks great clean but it looks like it is going to show dirt quickly, plus there are bugs all over my front end now.

A few Questions....

What is the best product to get them of without ruining the paint?

Is there anything I can apply to make them come off easier?

Should I invest in a Front Nose Mask or maybe the deflector?

What are other doing for this - any pics of these accessories?

- Jason

·
Registered
449 Posts
Keeping bugs off your vehicle

I usually try to drive behind an Exploder or Trailblazer :p

However, then you need to look out for an oilslick or separated tread.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Any good wax, synthetic or carnuba, will make removing bugs much easier. For now, a good wash and then use either one of the bug & tar removers (most work pretty good) or do what I do and use Simple Green. Often times these strong cleaners remove wax, so be ready to "spot wax" where you cleaned. The one thing you do need to be careful about is trying to clean bugs from a vehicle that hasn't been just washed. The dirt and dust is sitting on the surface of the paint can create swirl marks as you rub them into the paint as you try to clean the bugs off.

Chris

·
Registered
664 Posts
Wash it weekly and keep it waxed up front. I've had it since June and the bugs still come right off. Now talk to me in a year and I'm sure I'll be cussing the bugs.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I would be very careful with Simple Green. There are different recommended dilutions for different uses. I have read of people using it on their wheels to remove brake dust and damaging the paint.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Meguiar's Quick Detailer & Gold Class Wax

I found myself cleaning bugs off the front right after every trip on the Interstate (made trips the past 2 weekends). Just wanted to make sure that I stayed on top it and it didn't get out of control.

Since the vehicle is new and the finish is smooth, I didn't find it necessary to use any bug and tar removers yet. I simply used some Meguiar's Quick Detailer and they were easily removed (front grill area, and back of mirrors). Once I got it nice and clean, I put on a good coat of Mequiar's Gold Class wax, in the high bug traffic areas. When we got home last night, some Quick Detailer, and it cleaned up very quickly.

Since the front of the Pilot is so big, I think I'll have to keep on top of the bugs so they don't get out of control. Otherwise, I'll be spending all day trying to get rid of them.

I also have gone through many bug and tar removers in the past, and haven't found one that I really liked. I just picked up a bottle of Meguiar's bug and tar remover (must be a new product from them). Since I've always been very happy with the quality of their products, I'm hoping this one will be good too?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Bug removing

First, don't let them stay on too long if you can avoid it. Next, it is amazing what plain old soap and water can do if you just soak it for a while rather than try to force them off. I often soap my front end first , then wash the rest of the car while the grill soaks. By the time I get back to the grill....most bugs come off really easy.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I agree, keep your front end well waxed. Don't let the bugs bake on! Remove them as soon as you can. A good long soaking with soapy water does the trick most of the time for me.

If all else fails, there's always the power washer!:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts