Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know for sure.. Did Honda fix the OEM Bug Deflector from it's earlier version or not?? I called my local Honda dealer today and he told me that the version number has not changed..He seemed to acknowledge that a change was made to the deflector but he could not explain what.. I realize the various differences between the OEM and others.. Has anyone recently had the deflector installed with zero problems?

thanks!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have the new version. It has a seal at the edge of the hood and is curved a bit in the middle. Ours makes no noise whatsoever, and I am a picky SOB. Hope this helps...

·
Registered
725 Posts
Thoughts On FormFit Deflector

If you're really that concerned, buy the FormFit deflectors. It looks just like the factory one, but without the chance of the "screaming chicken" sound.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Re: Thoughts On FormFit Deflector

PILOTinginCO said:
If you're really that concerned, buy the FormFit deflectors. It looks just like the factory one, but without the chance of the "screaming chicken" sound.
How does it mount? Any drilling required? I'm leaning toward the Weathertech because it mounts in existing holes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Jay - I think I'm with you...the Weathertech is only $55 and does NOT require drilling. I bought the Honda deflector the day I bought my Pilot, and was - needless to say - a little torqued when I saw it required drilling AND a rivnut tool that I can purchase for an additional fee! Anywa, it's still in the back of the Pilot...think it's going back. Have you ordered the Weathertech yet? I'm about to order the deflector and Ventvisors (I think).

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
joepat said:
Jay - I think I'm with you...the Weathertech is only $55 and does NOT require drilling. I bought the Honda deflector the day I bought my Pilot, and was - needless to say - a little torqued when I saw it required drilling AND a rivnut tool that I can purchase for an additional fee! Anywa, it's still in the back of the Pilot...think it's going back. Have you ordered the Weathertech yet? I'm about to order the deflector and Ventvisors (I think).
Welcome aboard. I haven't ordered yet, I'm pulling a florida_guy and sitting on the fence, gathering data. Twice before I've had deflectors, and I'm still debating their worth.

On the Blazer, the deflector disturbed the airflow so much that the mirrors vibrated. I took it off. On the Highlander, the OEM deflector caused some headlight reflection on the left corner. If I was shorter, I probably couldn't have seen over the hood and noticed it.

The rock chips on the edge of the hood that I fixed this week with touchup paint have me thinking about it again.

·
Registered
407 Posts
jay said:

Welcome aboard. I haven't ordered yet, I'm pulling a florida_guy and sitting on the fence, gathering data. Twice before I've had deflectors, and I'm still debating their worth.

On the Blazer, the deflector disturbed the airflow so much that the mirrors vibrated. I took it off. On the Highlander, the OEM deflector caused some headlight reflection on the left corner. If I was shorter, I probably couldn't have seen over the hood and noticed it.

The rock chips on the edge of the hood that I fixed this week with touchup paint have me thinking about it again.
Well, I don't know about the WeatherTech deflectors, but I bought the Bugflector II from Ventshade and I have been very satisfied. These also can be fitted without drilling. I also bought the ventvisors too. Spent @ $120 in total. Well worth it, IMO.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks, bought my Pilot about 2 weeks ago and absolutely love it! My wife wanted to take it to DC today and I respectfully asked her to take her '00 Civic...I said the gas mileage would (obviously) be better. I just didn't want it to get wet! Anyway, I think I'm gonna give the Weathertech a try...I also have an '01 Tundra w/ a bug deflector. I'll never own another truck/SUV w/out one! Most add to the look as well as protecting the hood line. I'd really like to buy the bra for road trips (that's the ultimate front end protection), but once the deflector is on the bra is unusuable...what a dilemma!

·
Registered
407 Posts
joepat said:
I'd really like to buy the bra for road trips (that's the ultimate front end protection), but once the deflector is on the bra is unusuable...what a dilemma!
Not necessarily "unusable". While the bra for the hood will become unusable, the piece for the front bumper is still usable. At least, that's how it appears according to Tim's site.

FYI: The Full Nose Mask is also the August Special for the Pilot on Tim's site:

http://webp6.t3link.com/hondacurawo...n=PROD&Product_Code=Special3&Category_Code=SP

If you're gonna get it, this the perfect month to do so.

·
Registered
725 Posts
To Jay

There are two square holes on the underside of the hood. Two plastic clips go in there and the FormFit deflector screws into that.

There are two other ends to screw down that are to long to get into details, but it only took about 10-minutes to put the thing on.

There is no drilling or extra holes needed whatsoever. You'll be very happy with the FormFit if that's the way you choose to go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts