Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticing a bubbling noise when I shut the pilot off coming from the Heater core area , While Idling I can see moments of steam coming out of the front grill.
No leaks bottom is clean as a whistle .... bad rad ?

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
-- Check the fluid level in the radiator itself. A leak in the system may be draining coolant, and also preventing vacuum from drawing coolant back from the reservoir. Check with engine cold.

-- If you find that there's coolant loss, you can look for evidence of leaks, remembering that airflow through the radiator will often 'redistribute' the leaked coolant before it has a chance to get to the bottom of the radiator and the cross brace underneath. Look for stains on the aluminum tubes and fins as a telltale.

-- You can free-rent a cooling system pressure tester at better POLAPS (plain old local auto parts stores) like Advance Auto and such. These let you test cold with no heat or wind to dissipate or evaporate leaking coolant. Also look for the ability of the system to maintain pressure, a telltale that may help you identify leaks in less obvious places like the rear heater core.

-- The coolant change procedure from Honda includes a couple steps to help you burp air out of the heater circuits front and rear. The rear circuit particularly has no vapor bleed/vent. Changing coolant without following the factory procedure can leave you with air in the top of the rear heater core, and the gurgling you note. You have the workshop manuals that detail the whole process.

For those playing along at home, Tahoefever shared a copy of the 2012 manuals here in the forum, worth a search and download if you do any of your own service. The 2012 manual is the last that Honda published, and applies to all our cars of the generation through MY 2015.

·
Registered
645 Posts
You've got a coolant leak somewhere. They can be tricky SOBs to find sometimes but Dr. Bob's tip about pressure testing the system is solid. The gurgling behind the dash means air's in the system. This can make your heater work poorly and even cause intermittent overheating.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts