Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys. First post here. My wife has a 2018 Honda Pilot EX-L with only 39000kms on it. We really like the car with the exception of 1 major issue. She has broken 3 windshields in 15 months. Is there a design flaw or something with these vehicles? I put 40000kms a year on my F150 and havent put a windshield in one of them in years. Yes. Every time we put an OEM glass in it. My insurance company is now threatening to drop me if I make another glass claim so this one will be coming out of my pocket. My wife wants to trade the Pilot on something else and I am at a loss.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Rock / object strikes ('bullseyes' with radius cracks) on the windshield should be obvious vs. a crack starting from the edge with no strike damage.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
If it were other brand you could try to claim warranty, but with Honda, good luck, they would gladly decline a warranty item. As far as I can remember, Honda does not warranty anything that's broken. It's about $1000.00, so if have good insurance rate, then pay it out of pocket.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I've been through a lot of windshields over the years. I changed shops once and the guy wasn't sure if I wanted to pay out of pocket (Safelite cheaper) or insurance so he got "factory glass (PPG, LOF, Pilkington) and one from Safelite. The Safelite one had some small noticeable waves along the edges which he explained adds stress points so small chip might induce crack.

When I think back to my MANY (one per year at least) windshields they were mostly from Safelite. Since using the factory versions I have had nice chips that were able to be repaired and not crack. Some you can't prevent.

I had State Farm for a short time and they told me the same thing even though I paid extra for glass coverage. My car was 1 month old and I was living in an area with a lot of new housing and road construction, took a rock from a truck. 1 month after replacement, I think the same truck on same mile of road, rock crack. State farm covered but said straight out one more windshield claim and they would drop me for high risk.

I don't know about Geico, Liberty Mutual or others. I have USAA now and I called them when I got a crack and expressed my concern based on State farm. They looked at records and said many of their members in my area had the same claim and was due to the area and construction so no issue. Call a couple companies and ask the questions might be worth changing anyway.

The EX-L and up I believe the acoustic glass so make sure that is what is used.

And check very carefully along the crack. I had one that was a very minor hard to see chip along an edge but was obviously by a stress point.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Since owning the vehicle in 2016 we have cracked two windshields. One in Nov 2018 and one in March 2019. My wife was driving on the first incident and something hit the windshield and spread. The second time I was driving (the replacement was from Safelite non-oem) and a rock definitely hit it while on the freeway, it has not spread so I am waiting to do it since I have been doing a few CA to NV drives a year.

One thing to consider, is there construction going on in your area that could have increased rocks or debris? My wife was driving down a construction zone when it happened and I was on the fwy in the desert. Never had to do a windshield on a vehicle till this pilot but oh well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I thought I'd add my $0.02 in case anyone finds it useful. I found this thread while searching for info on Pilot windshields. I was driving on the interstate recently and took what I thought was a very mild glancing blow from a rock but it left a nice gouge in the windshield. Obviously the noise made by the rock when it hits the windshield is probably a pretty crude measure for how much damage it will do, but I was surprised. So do with that what you will.

My background on this is that my other car is an Accord and we've had to replace the windshield twice. Both times we'd had to file insurance claims to get OEM windshields because of the sensors. If this chip repair for our Pilot fails and we ultimately need to replace it, I want to have done my research and be ready for it.

(An aside: it's absolutely maddening to me that dump trucks can roll down interstates spraying rock everywhere with no consequence. I've taken countless chips and replaced a few windshields, not to mention had significant paint effectively sandblasted off the hoods of a couple of cars thanks to this.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts