Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a rock on the edge and the crack spread across the windshield. Our cars have acoustical laminated glass for sound reduction. As my car has 2500 miles so I am trying to get Honda glass paid for by my insurance.

Question, if you replaced yours with aftermarket glass, did you find that your aftermarket windshield replacement still was as quiet and your Honda glass.

Attachments

·
Registered
570 Posts
This is one of those internet forum responses that has little to do with your scenario, but maybe it will help.

I just replaced a passenger-side front window on my '03. I bought third-party glass after an extra-helpful parts guy told me that the only difference between glass was the logo.

I can't tell any difference at all, other than getting the job done for half the cost.

Agree that getting OEM back in on a new car is much preferred, but I wouldn't pay extra for it, if it came to that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You may not have much choice on aftermarket or OEM glass. I got several quotes with Safelite being the lowest (initially) using aftermarket glass and others using OEM. Shortly ahead of my Safelite appointment, I was contacted by Safelite and told OEM glass had to be used resulting in a significant increase in cost. Initial price from Safelite was ~$900 that increased to ~$1700. A local glass company gave an original quote with OEM glass and calibration of ~$1450 which is who we went through.

·
Registered
269 Posts
If insurance is paying for it, which I can't see why they won't, why would you even consider putting aftermarket glass in? Just request OEM Honda glass and molding and be done with it. Even if you have to wait longer, so what.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If insurance is paying for it, which I can't see why they won't, why would you even consider putting aftermarket glass in? Just request OEM Honda glass and molding and be done with it. Even if you have to wait longer, so what.
Safelite set up my replacement with aftermarket glass. I had to cancel appt, escalate and "ask" for Honda glass. Now insurance comp involved. Have not heard back

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Insurance companies can replace you glass with OEE (Original Equipment Equivalent). They may let you pay the difference.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so...Question, if you replaced yours with aftermarket glass, did you find that your aftermarket windshield replacement still was as quiet and your Honda glass.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Based on my experience replacing the windshield at a Honda dealer ... trust but verify ... ahead of time!!! I'm dead serious.

I took my cracked windshield to the dealer specifically to get an oem Honda windshield, only to discover after the work was done that they outsourced it to a local shop who came to the dealer's location and replaced my windshield with a no-name POS. I was so angry with the deception that I took the Pilot to another place in town I trusted and paid a 2nd time to get a quality glass. That shop took the time to explain what choices and brands I could buy before they did the work. Honda corporate got a letter on that one, but I didn't even get the courtesy of a response. :mad:

I did not have acoustical glass on my EX and could tell no difference in sound afterwards. However, based on my experience test driving vehicles with and without acoustical laminated glass, I would definitely make sure you are truly getting that glass if that is what you prefer.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Safelite set up my replacement with aftermarket glass. I had to cancel appt, escalate and "ask" for Honda glass. Now insurance comp involved. Have not heard back
I always request OEM glass and molding when I create the insurance claim. I also verify the glass shop received the claim from insurance company stating OEM glass and molding. One time, I had to pressure the local dealer on behalf of the local glass company because the glass was on backorder. Always have to chase people these days - the new American "normal."

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,315 Posts
Dealers don't do windshields, they always sub it out to a glass shop. The reason is simple. They don't do enough to know how to properly install one.

I have no clue how to tell a Honda Molding versus anything else except before installation when hopefully it comes out of a box saying Honda and is marked on the underside with a Honda part number.

Guess I should go to my Honda and see if it says Honda on it.

There are very few auto glass companies in the US. Some of their glass they'll put their own name on some get an auto manufacturer's names on.

·
Registered
426 Posts
My wife and I have Erie insurance. Went to Satellite last year for a chip repair and then full replacement 2 months later. Erie specifies Honda Glass is to be used. Its free for a chip / crack and we have a $250 deductible for replacement

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have no clue how to tell a Honda Molding versus anything else except before installation when hopefully it comes out of a box saying Honda and is marked on the underside with a Honda part number.
On the Pilot, I wouldn't know how to tell either. But when I had the windshield replaced on a Tacoma, I did not specify OEM molding. What was installed was quite different than the OEM molding. I noticed it right away as soon as I walked up to the vehicle. Ever since then, I specify OEM molding to avoid any surprises. Because as per a local glass company, it's not easy to properly remove and reinstall a perfectly good (i.e. undamaged) windshield successfully.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts