Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rock hit my driver side rear window this morning. The whole thing is shattered.
This Pilot doesn’t have full coverage (not worth enough) which means no glass coverage (GA doesn’t require insurance to provide glass replacement).

Safelite is quoting me $400. Has anyone ever replaced this glass themselves? I could get it at a junkyard for cheap, but I’ve never done anything like this before.

I would appreciate your insight. Thanks!

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,315 Posts
No idea of the cost was of the part, but taking the inner panel off, removing old glass, cleaning shards up, etc etc.
personally doors are my nemesis. So much going on in a tiny space. Check around including body shops that might get used glass, for other prices and fix it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've done glass like that on a different vehicle. It's a bit of a pain because of everything that needs to come off but as far as taking the glass out I've always used a guitar wire or a heavy fishing line to separate the adhesive. Scrape it off the body & reapply. Make sure it fully sets before you use the vehicle again. I practiced to see if I could do it myself at the pull your part yard here in town. That way if I got my part, I knew I could do the job and if something happened or I decided it wasnt worth the effort I was only out the 2.00 admission fee.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I did a door window a few weeks ago. It was tedious, not difficult.

The most relevant advice from that for replacing your fixed window would be:

• find good instructions to properly dis-assemble. Hopefully it can all be done from the outside. I don't know if the service manual will cover it.
  • buy non-OEM glass from an independent shop, and pump them for tips on doing the job (like a good adhesive)
  • vacuum way more than you think you need to - glass will go everywhere when you're trying to get it out.

My main motivation for DIY was Safelite being 10 days out. There's no question that I cleaned it up better than they would have, just because I had time to be. Still, this isn't a no-brainer DIY candidate.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have done front and back glass in the past on older cars that I was restoring. Tedious but not terrible. Just last week a branch feel and broke the back glass on our Acura RL. Safetlite was around $1500. I called another place that my buddy who runs a car lot recommended and it was $400. I just picked it up and was happy with the $400 job. I would check prices at a couple of other places.

If I were thinking about doing it myself I would probably get the glass from a pull-a-part place. That way you will see how big a job it will be pulling the old glass out of the donor car. If it looks like a royal pain you can go with plan B.

·
Registered
95 Posts
That window has the radio antenna in it. If going the Satellite route, make sure the replacement has it and they're able to connect it.

Agree with checking if you can get one from a pull-a-part place. May have to remove some interior trim to reconnect the antenna.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I
I have done front and back glass in the past on older cars that I was restoring. Tedious but not terrible. Just last week a branch feel and broke the back glass on our Acura RL. Safetlite was around $1500. I called another place that my buddy who runs a car lot recommended and it was $400. I just picked it up and was happy with the $400 job. I would check prices at a couple of other places.

If I were thinking about doing it myself I would probably get the glass from a pull-a-part place. That way you will see how big a job it will be pulling the old glass out of the donor car. If it looks like a royal pain you can go with plan B.
I just spoke to a junkyard, they said it doesn’t require any interior trim to be removed, you remove it from the outside and just have to break the glue seal. It’s $25 to have them do it so I may just have them pull it. The hardest part will be removal and cleaning of the broken glass. I taped it up some so at least pieces won’t be falling everywhere.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That window has the radio antenna in it. If going the Satellite route, make sure the replacement has it and they're able to connect it.

Agree with checking if you can get one from a pull-a-part place. May have to remove some interior trim to reconnect the antenna.
The service manual does mention an antenna. Hmmm.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,193 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts