Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I managed to break off one of the valve cover bolts on bank 1 while doing valve adjustment on my 06 pilot.see the pic.
I tried to drill it out, but the drill bit broke in there. So I put the valve cover back on with 4 bolts and glued the broken bolt back in its place.
I drove it 2 hours today and did not notice any problem. Now the question is Has anybody else done the same thing?
Is it going to cause an issue later on?
I will be traveling long distance soon and do not want to get stranded.

Attachments

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,894 Posts
Now the question is Has anybody else done the same thing?
Pretty sure the answer to that one is no.

I have no idea if it's OK or safe, but if I were the NHTSA I'd look upon that with a dubious frown.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is an update. After 2 weeks I took the intake manifold off to inspect the broken bolt. The glue was disintegrated and the bolt head was sitting there loose.
No oil leak around the loose bolt or the seal around the cover. I put a nut and bolt instead of gluing it this time to just hold the washer in place.
To be continued...

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot 2WD
76 Posts
I have felt your pain. I did the same thing on my 2006 Pilot. I broke the one nearest the firewall and most inconvenient to get to. I did this at 272,000 miles while adjusting the valves too. I now have 331,000. I have a minor leak/drip around this broken bolt. I was not going to replace it. I was going to swap the motor and transmission, but I don't know when I need to do this. It is still running great.

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,420 Posts
Here is an update. After 2 weeks I took the intake manifold off to inspect the broken bolt. The glue was disintegrated and the bolt head was sitting there loose.
No oil leak around the loose bolt or the seal around the cover. I put a nut and bolt instead of gluing it this time to just hold the washer in place.
To be continued...
The best solution would be to get the broken bolt tapped out.
The good thing is that the broken bolt is on the top side. Since oil runs down, I wouldn't expect an Exxon Valdez size leak. What kind of "glue" did you attempt to use? The next time you check it, and if you feel your loosing oil, and have no plans to remove the broken bolt. I'd get some Ultra Black Permatex. It works up to 500°F. It's in the automotive section at Wal-Mart for $5.97 a tube.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts