Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
What most probably happened in my case, is that the radiator completely froze up (wrong coolant, plus no engine block heater installed at that time and in addition to the fact that here in the north most of people put a cardboard outside in from of their radiator to avoid the radiation to 1) freeze, 2) get warmer cabin air). I tried to put a cardboard in front but gave up after the duck tape I bought did not want to stick at all, too cold for duck tape too ( I was pressure by time)... I thought that it could wait - at that time I also thought that the cardboard was only for the cabin air, I feel so stupid now). Because the radiator froze up, the engine overheated. That my conclusion... but I am not sure because in reality. What happened is that I did 200km with no issue (engine temperature below normal -usual with that outside temp.), I had the transmission once - slightly before the engine overheated - that acted funny... it unusually lagged to changed gears, it was difficulty weird but seem ok after... then sometime later I noticed a sudden loss of power (big loss! a felt like a complete loss) as soon as it happened (5sec), I looked at the engine temp (overheat), I stopped the quickest I could, put the car in parked (slight upslope) and stopped the engine, opened the hood (smoke), radiator (or other?) fluid burst.
Now that I wrote, I think I had some milkshake fluid as well when it burst! I remember the funny colour. The mechanic who towed the car, confirmed me that they saw a lot of transmission fluid under the car.
The mechanic who deal with my car today, confirmed me that it was like there was no transmission fluid remaining at all.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot LX
2,192 Posts
It sounds like there is some hope the coolant and tranny fluids did not mix (hopefully the shop drained both the radiator and tranny to confirm this) which offers a higher level of hope that the tranny survived. Hopefully this is the case. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Last year my radiator broke at the connection to the trans fluid lines. A few miles after pissing out all the fluid in a quick puff of black smoke, I lost all gears. My mechanic originally planned to have it towed to the trans shop, but after replacing the radiator, he decided to top it off with trans fluid and see what happens. It shifted rough and missed 4th gear for the first thousand miles, but after 10k it seems to be working fine.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
I think that's what's referred to as dodging a bullet. Glad it's working out for you. Keep us posted.

I'd keep draining and filling the ATF perhaps every second oil change to remain in the good graces of the gods of good fortune.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Last year my radiator broke at the connection to the trans fluid lines. A few miles after pissing out all the fluid in a quick puff of black smoke, I lost all gears. My mechanic originally planned to have it towed to the trans shop, but after replacing the radiator, he decided to top it off with trans fluid and see what happens. It shifted rough and missed 4th gear for the first thousand miles, but after 10k it seems to be working fine.
Not sure I could have waited a few thousand miles before the problem went away. Generally auto transmissions don't get better with time or use but you are very fortunate to be the exception.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had an 05 with the transmission fluid leaked big time at a stop light this summer. I had it towed to my house and upon my careful investigation, I found out that the source of leakage was where the transmission cooler and the radiator met. Luckily, the cooler had broken just before it entered the radiator. But initially, I had to be sure that there was no mixing of coolant and tranny fluid that had taken place inside the radiator and/or transmission. First, I carefully examined the radiator--opened the rad cap and looked for mixing (strawberry milkshake color--it would have been very conspicuous). Then I drained the coolant and further determined that no mixing took place. Next, I drained the remaining tranny fluid (less than a quart left). This, too revealed no hint of mixing. I then made a decision (over several days) to get it towed to a local shop to have the radiator replaced. I had the radiator shipped to me online. Radiator cost me $130, 2 gal tranny fluids, 2 gallons coolant. I spent around $600 total ($400 labor). Thanks.
I had exactly the same problem. The connection where the transmission cooling line entered the radiator broke. I was about a mile from my home and realized I had lost all power, but the engine seemed to be running fine. I stopped the vehicle. Had it towed to the shop. They put in a new radiator and filled up the transmission with oil. It has worked perfectly since for about 15,000 miles.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
I stopped the vehicle. Had it towed to the shop.
I think that was the smart thing to do and it's what saved your bacon.

I ruined an engine many years ago thinking, "if can can just make it a bit farther." 😩

·
Registered
27 Posts
There are many posts on radiators failing, Ive have about 20k miles in my trans after a complete rad mixing failure. I also went through about 20 or so quarts of valvoline max life before I was confident all the coolant was out of the trans. Maybe the shop has some kind of fluid exchanger that they can somehow to a complete flush with, other wise you need to do many drains and refills.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts