Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow piloteers. New guy here from Jacksonville FL. 2 days ago my wife was driving on the highway when suddenly there was a thump and the engine cut off. When I got there and cranked the engine it sounded like there was no compression. Didn't see any leaks or holes in the engines so I pulled the cam gear inspection plugs and had wife crank and sure enough cams weren't turning. I replaced the belt myself about 12k ago. Car ran perfectly with no unusual noises until it didn't lol. Tomorrow I'm going to do a leak down test and hope there are no bent valves. Until them I'll be scratching my head as to how the hell this happened. In the pics you can see that the tensioner appears the have leaked. The forward nut for the belt guide was off and sitting below the crank gear. I don't remember pulling it off as I did not replace the crank seal. Also take notice of all the rust on the pulleys. Wtf? Lol

·
Read Only
187 Posts
Sorry for your troubles! Thankfully no one was hurt. Do you know where you bought the timing belt kit and what you paid specifically, and what parts came in the kit? Or did you just buy all the parts separately?
Did any of the parts you used match these?

TIMING BELT:
GENUINE HONDA PART # 14400-RCA-A01

FRONT CAMSHAFT SEAL x 2
GENUINE HONDA / 91213-RP6-A01/R70-A02

FRONT CRANKSHAFT SEAL
GENUINE HONDA / 91212-R70-A02/RP6-A01

HYDRALLIC TENSIONER
GENUINE HONDA / 14520-RCA-A01

IDLER PULLEY
KOYO OEM / 14550-RCA-A01

TENSIONER ROLLER / Pulley
KOYO OEM / 14510-RCA-A01

WATER PUMP W/ GASKET
ASIAN / 19200-RDV-J01

SERPENTINE BELT BANDO 6PK2135 / 56992-RV0-A01 SERPENTINE BELT BANDO 6PK1190 / 31110-RJA-J01 SERPENTINE BELT
GENUINE / 56992-RV0-A01 FITMENT
ACURA

I would only be guessing but maybe you tensioner gave way and the belt just went haywire.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for your troubles! Thankfully no one was hurt. Do you know where you bought the timing belt kit and what you paid specifically, and what parts came in the kit? Or did you just buy all the parts separately?
Did any of the parts you used match these?

I've been searching for where I bought the kit but no luck so far.

·
Registered
586 Posts
What a disaster! Sad to say, but the chances of no valves being bent is pretty low... but I suspect you knew that. :-( OEM or the Aisin kit from Rock Auto tend to be the safest choice for tbelt jobs, I’d be curious what you used. There have been confirmed cases of counterfeit parts out there too.

The tensioners on these cars, even the oem ones, are prone to leaking and early failure. Given the amount of dust in there it seems like it must have been tracking incorrectly for a while before it went. Are the rusted pulleys able to spin properly? I’m really confused by the rust. Is the tensioner easy to compress?

Good luck and keep us updated.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Until them I'll be scratching my head as to how the hell this happened
Regardless of what the parts # say, they are not Honda or Koyo tensioner or idler. Unfortunately your a victim of inferior parts, it appears the tensioner locked up and the idler locked or almost locked too. The chances of you not have any bent valves is almost zero. I have yet to have a j motor loose a belt and not bend at least one valve. Good luck

·
Read Only
187 Posts
Regardless of what the parts # say l, they are not Honda or Koyo tensioner or idler. Unfortunately your a victim of inferior parts, it appears the tensioner locked up and the idler locked or almost locked too. The chances of you not have any bent valves is almost zero. I have yet to have a j motor loose a belt and not bend at least one valve. Good luck
I noticed the tensioner and idler also, They looked like the one's in a ebay kit, not Aisin kit. Maybe the OP will remember? I myself would remember as I would never use anything else but OEM Aisin.
I've seen complete timing belt kits for my 2009 with water pump for under $61.00 dollars shipped, thats scary.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I searched my ebay and Amazon history and I didn't buy it from either. I have no freakin clue where I got it. Its racking my brain

·
Registered
139 Posts
Can you describe the incident so we can learn from your experience?

Did you wife tell what happened to the car? any symptom prior to it happened? Any smoke? How fast was she driving? 45, 65, 75? Any noise, banging, knocking, grinding at all? How far was car from your house? Did you try to restart it? How did you get it home?

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can you describe the incident so we can learn from your experience?

Did you wife tell what happened to the car? any symptom prior to it happened? Any smoke? How fast was she driving? 45, 65, 75? Any noise, banging, knocking, grinding at all? How far was car from your house? Did you try to restart it? How did you get it home?

Thanks for sharing.
Not much to really share really. Pilot was running perfectly, wife was probably going 80 as usual when she felt the car jolt and then it lost power. She tried to restart it a few times.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
View attachment 143782 View attachment 143783
For reference to anyone else, pic 1 is all counterfeit, pic 2 is genuine Honda, with exception of the plugs.
To get the Genuine Honda "named" parts, It cost me an arm and a leg to walk into the dealership. Online pricing, bought from a reputable Honda parts dealer It's still an hand and a leg to buy these separately. These prices are from Honda Parts Now....
Timing Belt $75.61
Timing Belt Tensioner $136.70
Tensioner Pulley $109.87
Idler Pulley $48.83
Water Pump $143.46
Total $514.47
The Aisin Kit with reputable OEM supplier parts IMO is the way to go.

RockAuto price $166.79 -5% discount.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The tensioners on these cars, even the oem ones, are prone to leaking and early failure. Given the amount of dust in there it seems like it must have been tracking incorrectly for a while before it went. Are the rusted pulleys able to spin properly? I’m really confused by the rust. Is the tensioner easy to compress?

Good luck and keep us updated.
What could have gone wrong is invaluable info to have. Gather as much info as possible.
Per @briantii OEM parts could go bad too.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Forum majority in favor of Aisin TB WP kit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts