Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend is willing to almost give me a 2008 Pilot with a broken timing belt. I have swapped a engine in a Murano before, and I don't really want to undertake that size job again on this vehicle...on this Pilot, should I assume both heads need replaced, and can they be replace with the engine in the car? I have done this in a Accord before, and it was not bad at all, but that was only one head. I think replacing valves means pulling the head, which means having it planed, etc, which is why I would look for rebuilt heads if they are available and save the expense of doing that work. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
A friend is willing to almost give me a 2008 Pilot with a broken timing belt. I have swapped a engine in a Murano before, and I don't really want to undertake that size job again on this vehicle...on this Pilot, should I assume both heads need replaced, and can they be replace with the engine in the car? I have done this in a Accord before, and it was not bad at all, but that was only one head. I think replacing valves means pulling the head, which means having it planed, etc, which is why I would look for rebuilt heads if they are available and save the expense of doing that work. Thanks!
It be worth pulling the heads. Then you can determine if the pistons and cylinder walls are in good shape or if you need a whole engine.

Reactions: ConrodM

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
It be worth pulling the heads. Then you can determine if the pistons and cylinder walls are in good shape or if you need a whole engine.
Do you have any experience with the remanufactured cylinder heads sold by RockAuto?

·
Registered
9,359 Posts

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,035 Posts
If you have a scope, pull the plugs and look inside for damage.

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
202 Posts
if the vehicle is in nice shape I would definitely yank the heads off and see what the damage is.
if the vehicle hasn't been taken care of then it might be on the verge of not-worth-it territory

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE
326 Posts
I just did an engine swap in an 08 Pilot. Wasn't very fun, but not as difficult as I thought it was going to be. I removed the heads to inspect with the engine in the car, and it was not something I would want to do again. Exhaust bolts are a pain, I cut a few.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts