Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I have 153000 miles on my 2009 pilot and have never changed the timing belt. I'm gonna get it all changed within the next 2 weeks. All this timing belt breaking talk has got me scared!
Did you not get a "4" subcode displayed by the maintenance minder at about 105K miles?

Or, are you not the original owner?

Or, have you been getting the oil changed (and the maintenance minder reset) before the remaining oil life reaches 15%?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same here. We had one go on our 05 at 101k just out of warranty. That car was a lemon all the way around. My friend who is a Honda Tech said he has never seen one brake on a Pilot.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I know that this is an old thread but it might become more timely now given the age of the early generations of the Pilot. Here's my experience.... I bought a used 2007 Pilot in 2013 with just under 91K on the odometer. I changed the timing belt, tensioner, idler bearings and water pump just shortly after at about 92K. About a month ago at about 169K the timing belt broke while my wife was driving it at about 35 mph. The belt wound itself so tight around the crank gear that I had to pull it out using vise grips. Obviously I was well below the 105K/7year mark on both occasions. Also just for the record I used "ALL" OEM parts when I replaced it the first time. I know that many keep asking the same questions that I had prior to tearing into it. Is the motor toast? Did I get lucky and not damage any valves and or pistons? Can I fix it without having to replace the entire engine? Well.... I tore the heads off and after inspecting the pistons (which had no visible damage) I decided to send them to a machine shop for an overhaul. I had 5 bent valves. I just got it back together but it wont start, I'm assuming that the crank position sensor is toast from the belt having it's way with it. I stupidly decided or overlooked replacing the crank position sensor so right now I'm waiting for the OEM sensor and cabling. That's the bad news, the good is it was spinning up with good compression so I think that I may have dodged a bullet! I'm into the repair for about $1200 but that includes news hoses, sensors and anything else that's hard to get to while I'm in there. Out of curiosity, has anyone else done the same as me and did you have to replace the crank sensor? I'll keep you posted on my results in a few weeks when I have time to get the sensor installed...

·
Registered
30 Posts
I can’t answer your question re crank sensor but would like to know your thoughts about what caused the premature failure. Bad part? Even OEM parts have a finite failure rate. You sound like a highly skilled mechanic but is it possible you made a mistake during installation? Thanks for sharing your story.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've come to the conclusion that the failure of the belt wasn't the belt itself nor anything that I had done during replacement. I think what had happened is the timing belt stopper plate (OEM part # 14535-RCA-A00) had worked itself loose over time. Once it had loosened it started to vibrate and actually elongated the upper bolt hole thereby causing it to lose the necessary belt clearance and start to wear into the belt. You see, the plate itself doesn't need to be messed with during a belt change, only when replacing the crank sensor itself. I'm hypothesizing that the failures we are seeing when replacing the belt for the first time or when failing prior to the 105k mark are probably due to that stupid plate coming loose. So.... In summary if you are having the timing belt replaced at the 105k mark or sooner I would highly recommend removing that plate, thoroughly inspecting it, replace it if you have ANY doubts and use a little lock-tight on the nuts just for insurance.... Oh and FYI the crank sensor was damaged from the hit and was the culprit! I'm happy to report that my Pilot's back on the road and purrring like a kitten again! Hope this helps my fellow Piloteers!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any other examples of anyone pushing their timing belt install? My 2011 pilot is at 130k miles on the original. Changed my subaru timing belt last year at 130k miles and everything looked brand new still.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I think Honda says 105K miles, and there must certainly be some margin built into that. The question is, "Do you feel Lucky?"

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have posted this story in another thread but here goes. I bought a pilot with 172,000 on the clock in May of '17. Drove it, doing regular maintenance, oil changes brakes etc.. Till Oct '18 (209,000 miles) when the engine main end bearings went out (I think this was my stupidity, as 700 miles before I changed the oil and used 0w20).
I bought a used engine for $950, did a valve adjustment, new timing belt kit including tensioner. Drove on for another 12,000 miles. 2 weeks ago the timing belt snapped (the tensioner had leaked). Put new belt and tensioner in and fired it up. Good to go.
3 days later I'm getting random misfire code. I am now planning a leak down test and most likely doing the heads, it's not burning oil and runs smooth but the computer is obviously picking up the misfire. The used engine I bought had 1,000 more miles kn than the one that failed. I am hoping to keep this Pilot going as it is essential for my wife and 6 kids.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My '09 is 10.5 years old since purchase and only has 46k miles. I do all my maintenance at the dealer and recently asked about the timing belt, water pump, tensioner replacement and I got a non committal answer as whether I should have this done now.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
My '09 is 10.5 years old since purchase and only has 46k miles. I do all my maintenance at the dealer and recently asked about the timing belt, water pump, tensioner replacement and I got a non committal answer as whether I should have this done now.
Has the code for the timing belt come up yet on your Maintenance Minder? On a 2006 anyway, it's a number 4 sub-code.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
No, I have not had the sub-code 4 appear yet. I believe those codes are driven off mileage. I don't tow or live in an area that is considered high in temperature and the vehicle is garaged if that makes a difference on the belt. Service advisor also stated not to judge by time but also did not steer me clear of performing the service if that's what I wanted to do hence was I took as the "non committal" answer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have posted this story in another thread but here goes. I bought a pilot with 172,000 on the clock in May of '17. Drove it, doing regular maintenance, oil changes brakes etc.. Till Oct '18 (209,000 miles) when the engine main end bearings went out (I think this was my stupidity, as 700 miles before I changed the oil and used 0w20).
I bought a used engine for $950, did a valve adjustment, new timing belt kit including tensioner. Drove on for another 12,000 miles. 2 weeks ago the timing belt snapped (the tensioner had leaked). Put new belt and tensioner in and fired it up. Good to go.
3 days later I'm getting random misfire code. I am now planning a leak down test and most likely doing the heads, it's not burning oil and runs smooth but the computer is obviously picking up the misfire. The used engine I bought had 1,000 more miles kn than the one that failed. I am hoping to keep this Pilot going as it is essential for my wife and 6 kids.
Just a brief update, the misfire turned out to be a blown headgasket. Almost done with that job. Should be back motoring shortly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
No, I have not had the sub-code 4 appear yet. I believe those codes are driven off mileage. I don't tow or live in an area that is considered high in temperature and the vehicle is garaged if that makes a difference on the belt. Service advisor also stated not to judge by time but also did not steer me clear of performing the service if that's what I wanted to do hence was I took as the "non committal" answer.
I would at least have the tensioner inspected ,it should not be leaking any fluid. It is cheap insurance to at least replace the tensioner and belt, if you can do the work yourself. My experience with the tensioner going out will have me checking mine more often.
I met a guy yesterday driving a 07 pilot 244,000 miles, has never done the belt.....scary.

·
Registered
63 Posts
bringing up an old post, but just found out my timing belt broke. Bought my 12 Pilot Touring AWD with 90k miles and serviced at Honda dealers it's entire life. Had the timing belt, water pump, tensioner done at local Honda at 109k miles. Just yesterday with 119k miles, wife was leaving the grocery store and engine died, all lights on. Towed to the same local Honda and they just called to say broken belt. They are still digging into it to see what else is wrong, but they are pretty baffled as to why. I'll keep this updated once I know more.

·
Registered
210 Posts
bringing up an old post, but just found out my timing belt broke. Bought my 12 Pilot Touring AWD with 90k miles and serviced at Honda dealers it's entire life. Had the timing belt, water pump, tensioner done at local Honda at 109k miles. Just yesterday with 119k miles, wife was leaving the grocery store and engine died, all lights on. Towed to the same local Honda and they just called to say broken belt. They are still digging into it to see what else is wrong, but they are pretty baffled as to why. I'll keep this updated once I know more.
That should not have happened. Fight the dealer until they cover the cost of any and all repairs. Good luck and sorry that happened!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I did this job myself November 2018. Had the belt brake this June. It was caused by a failed tensioner. I was lucky , no head damage, new belt and tensioner and good to go. I would definitely seek repair at no cost from the dealer. Keep us posted.
Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Has anyone ever actually experienced a broken timing belt on their Pilot? If so what were the circumstances? Just curious how often this happens if at all.
No Comment :p

·
Registered
28 Posts
Has anyone ever actually experienced a broken timing belt on their Pilot? If so what were the circumstances? Just curious how often this happens if at all.
I've never had the problem on any car by any company that uses a rubber timing belt to drive everything. The manuals say change them at 80,000 miles. When I'm in the engine filling the windshield washer fluid, air filter or oil change I always look for cracks inthe rubber belt as it dries out. Mustang has metal timing chain but has rubber serpentine belt that drives the alternator and water pump. Sounds like routine maintenance at 80,000 or 2nd one at 160,000 if you bought used car wasn't done. On foreign cars the low cleanance engine the valves can crash into the pistons are they get out of sink if the rubber belt breaks. Worth a quick look every year to prevent getting stranded and killing your engine.

81 - 98 of 98 Posts