Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever actually experienced a broken timing belt on their Pilot? If so what were the circumstances? Just curious how often this happens if at all.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I have not seen this on a Pilot.....

But most VW's I've worked on came in with broken belts in the 140-150,000 mile range.

On the other hand, I also had a customer with a Nissan Quest with 187,000 miles on the original belt.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My wife's old 1990 accord broken a timing belt in 2003 and it ruined the engine. Doing the routine maintenance is always the best thing. It will cost you a lot more if that belt fails.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Has anyone ever actually experienced a broken timing belt on their Pilot? If so what were the circumstances? Just curious how often this happens if at all.
Since a broken TB results in engine destruction, most owners change the TB at the recommended interval. So you won't find many cases of broken tiiming belts at all. The good news is that the recommended interval is sufficiently conservative enough to avoid failure.

We did have a crankshaft bolt snap right after a TB change on our 99 CRV. It also had an interference engine and the belt came off when the bolt snapped. Not sure why, but we were lucky that there was no engine damage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2006 Pilot timing belt broke on highway

Mine just did. 2006 EX 4x4 V6 only 72,500 miles, fully services at Honda dealer. Doing 70mph on way home from work and *boom* loud screeching noise like a loose belt, dashboard check lights lit up and came to a rolling stop...dead.

Everyone and their mother is surprised it happened, but doesn't help me much. Long out of warranty, Insurance doesn't cover mechanical failure.

Dealer wants $800 just to put new timing belt on to check compression. 80% chance needs new engine as it happened on highway. Pistons and valves probably gone. Used engines with 100,000+ miles are $2500 - $3000 plus labor to install. Looking at $6000-$7500 *probably* to change engine with 40,000 more miles on it

They *think* something else broke loose (tensioner or water pump, etc) that broke the belt. So much for Honda reliability...friggin pissed

·
Administrator
15,401 Posts
It's been seven years or 105k unless subject to severe usage when those numbers drop

·
Registered
10 Posts
That probably did not do the transmission any good either.

Mine just did. 2006 EX 4x4 V6 only 72,500 miles, fully services at Honda dealer. Doing 70mph on way home from work and *boom* loud screeching noise like a loose belt, dashboard check lights lit up and came to a rolling stop...dead.

Everyone and their mother is surprised it happened, but doesn't help me much. Long out of warranty, Insurance doesn't cover mechanical failure.

Dealer wants $800 just to put new timing belt on to check compression. 80% chance needs new engine as it happened on highway. Pistons and valves probably gone. Used engines with 100,000+ miles are $2500 - $3000 plus labor to install. Looking at $6000-$7500 *probably* to change engine with 40,000 more miles on it

They *think* something else broke loose (tensioner or water pump, etc) that broke the belt. So much for Honda reliability...friggin pissed

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's been seven years or 105k unless subject to severe usage when those numbers drop

No severe driving, just highway commute to work and back. Like I said, serviced by dealer only, said belt would be good to 105k regardless of the 7years. The years should only come into play as you approach 10 years (or say said).

Now I have to decide to drop $$ and swap engines or buy used car to replace....not sure. Anyone have advice?

What happens generally to reliability when this occurs and you swap engines?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
No severe driving, just highway commute to work and back. Like I said, serviced by dealer only, said belt would be good to 105k regardless of the 7years. The years should only come into play as you approach 10 years (or say said).

Now I have to decide to drop $$ and swap engines or buy used car to replace....not sure. Anyone have advice?

Whoever told you to ignore the time frame for replacement is an idiot...I can't believe that would come from a Honda Service Tech. Time is an enemy for any belt.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
that makes two incidents of TB breaking unless you posted it before. so, yes it happens especially if it is not replaced regularly every 110k miles.

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
Might this be just the tip of the iceberg?

The maintenance minder was introduced in 2006, so vehicles thus equipped would be just approaching the previous 7-year time limit for timing belt life. However, the owner’s manuals for 2006+ vehicles no longer include the advisory to replace the timing belt every 7 years. Aside from frequent use for towing or in extreme temperatures, the timing belt change interval is determined solely by a prompt from the maintenance minder – which, AFAWK, does not have the capability to measure calendar time.

Therefore, for vehicles driven well under 15K miles/year, it seems likely that the prompt to replace the timing belt may not appear until well beyond the nominal 7-year time limit.

If TobaisVT can show that the MM alerts for service were followed conscientiously, a case should certainly be made to Honda for some compensation in this situation – regardless of being outside the period of warranty coverage.

If, indeed, the MM will only call for a timing belt replacement as the odometer reaches 105K miles, then this could ultimately end up as another class action suit.

·
Registered
181 Posts

Reliability shouldn't be affected at all. Of course, it all depends how the donor engine was maintained... If the oil was only changed every 12,000 etc... the long term engine health will suffer. But generally the reliability should be the same.

There is no way I would dump another $6000 into the Pilot. If I were you, these would be my considerations:

1) Pull the heads and see if there is damage to pistons. If not, replace heads and enjoy Pilot.

2) Attempt to sell the Pilot as a mechanic's special and get some $$ out of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Reliability shouldn't be affected at all. Of course, it all depends how the donor engine was maintained... If the oil was only changed every 12,000 etc... the long term engine health will suffer. But generally the reliability should be the same.

There is no way I would dump another $6000 into the Pilot. If I were you, these would be my considerations:

1) Pull the heads and see if there is damage to pistons. If not, replace heads and enjoy Pilot.

2) Attempt to sell the Pilot as a mechanic's special and get some $$ out of it.

Thanks for the advice.

1> I spoke to both Honda Service Tech and a local independent Mechanic and they said the same thing: You can't do a valve/piston job on this engine. Only option is to replace. Something to do with how the engine mates to the transmission or flywheel (?)or something in the design that makes that not an option. Normally I would call "B.S." on that as well, but since it came from 2 separate and independent people, I tend to believe it. Anyone heard of this? Sorry I am by no means an expert on engines beyond oil/spark plug changes..so not fully understanding.

2> At this point I am going to see what the final bill will come out too. Checking Edmunds and autotrader.com looks like an "Average" condition '06 pilot is worth around $10-11k. So I'll either sink the cash and keep it for 4-5 more years or go get a replacement car for around $10k .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Might this be just the tip of the iceberg?

If TobaisVT can show that the MM alerts for service were followed conscientiously, a case should certainly be made to Honda for some compensation in this situation – regardless of being outside the period of warranty coverage.

If, indeed, the MM will only call for a timing belt replacement as the odometer reaches 105K miles, then this could ultimately end up as another class action suit.

TO xGS and sblvro:

Interesting points. I bought it as a "Certified Used" car in 2010 with 40k miles. So can't tell you how it was maintained prior to me owning it. From the time I owned it, every time the MM went off, it went into the dealer for work. Only a couple of occasions where it was just the MM for an oil change I took to Jiffy Lube like place in a pinch. But anything above an oil change was done at the dealer based on whatever the MM was asking to be done or anything beyond the dealer found on inspection.

I only have this one post, so if you know of another, then yes they are separate incidents. That said, 2 posts among thousands; not sure if that makes a class action, there is always going to be x% of units that are not perfect...unfortunately I have one of those. Other than this incident, my Honda Pilot was solid, no major issues, just routine maintenance. I would still recommend a Honda to anyone, I just think I happened to get the 1% out there that just wasn't 100% perfect off the line.

(That's what I am telling myself anyway)

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
That said, 2 posts among thousands; not sure if that makes a class action, there is always going to be x% of units that are not perfect...unfortunately I have one of those.
Maybe only a few failures, so far.

The point was that MM equipped Pilots are just staring to reach 7 years of age, which is when Honda used to specify a timing belt replacement.
Now it’s up to the MM, which doesn’t appear to be able to keep track of time.
Does this suggest that, as those vehicles go beyond 7 years of age - yet are still well under 105K miles - there will start to be a rash of timing belt failures?

·
Registered
45 Posts
This has got me thinking about changing the belt on my 06 in the spring, it's only got 74k miles but will be past the 7 year mark. Scary thoughts.

Will definitely inspect it, on the carfax maintenance records, it does say it had the "drive belts" replaced at about 60K which was just over a year ago. Not even sure how many belts are on this thing, haven't had a chance to look. But maybe they already took care of the timing belt for me if it looked worn :29:

·
Administrator
15,401 Posts
Fwiw, the 2006 models were introduced in the second half of 2005.

So some 2006 year Pilots are already eight years old

1 - 20 of 98 Posts