Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran into an issue installing roof rails on my 2017 Honda Pilot over the weekend.

There are 7 bolts per rail with two different types of TORX nuts - three 6mm & four 8mm.

So my issue is while I was installing the passenger side rail according to the installation instructions, the bolt closest to the front of the car (6mm TORX nut) sheared off at the base.
I was tightening by hand using a socket wrench with the proper TORX bit. I was NOT applying excessive force - was using the same amount of force as the first two nuts I had already installed.

I'm really not sure what to do at this point. I tried to look from the underside of the roof but cannot see an easy way of replacing that bolt.

Any ideas as to what my next step should be? Take it to the dealer?

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
I ran into an issue installing roof rails on my 2017 Honda Pilot over the weekend.

There are 7 bolts per rail with two different types of TORX nuts - three 6mm & four 8mm.

So my issue is while I was installing the passenger side rail according to the installation instructions, the bolt closest to the front of the car (6mm TORX nut) sheared off at the base.
I was tightening by hand using a socket wrench with the proper TORX bit. I was NOT applying excessive force - was using the same amount of force as the first two nuts I had already installed.

I'm really not sure what to do at this point. I tried to look from the underside of the roof but cannot see an easy way of replacing that bolt.

Any ideas as to what my next step should be? Take it to the dealer?
Look up videos on how to tap out a broken bolt. Since the bolt was recently turned and not rusted in, it should come out without to much of a fight. I would drill a small hole in the center, gradually increasing the size. The heat generated and friction from the bit will usually cause the bolt to begin turning.

·
Registered
740 Posts
The stud you broke is welded to the roof skin, and doesn't go all the way through. You either have to have another one welded in, or go without it.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
You should be able to buy a broken screw kit for like $10.00 and use a cord or cordless drill to remove it. First, use a smaller (than the broken screw) drill bit to drill on the broken bolt, then use the special removal tool on the power drill to reverse direction to remove it. Should be pretty easy, just be careful not to hit any paint.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
There is nothing to remove, it's a stud welded to the roof skin.
This is why OP(s) should supply photos. We been giving advice for a body shop solution.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
There is nothing to remove, it's a stud welded to the roof skin.
Well, this is from the OP: “the bolt closest to the front of the car (6mm TORX nut) sheared off at the base.“
My understanding is that the bolt was broken, and op didn’t know how to remove the broken part of the bolt.
I may have misunderstood it then.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone find a solution to this? Just had the same problem develop yesterday while installing a roof rack. Didn’t over-torque the bolt. Was all normal hand tightening and now the bolt snapped in half

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Anyone find a solution to this? Just had the same problem develop yesterday while installing a roof rack. Didn’t over-torque the bolt. Was all normal hand tightening and now the bolt snapped in half
Only a few solutions: 1) weld a new bolt and plate to the roof channel, 2) drill a hole and insert a plus-nut, 3) drill a hole and crack open the headliner to insert bolt from within.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts