Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Decided to change the PCV valve on my '05 Pilot. Loosened the one bolt holding it in and it would not come out. I tried to wiggle it and turn to get it out with no luck. I slipped a small flat screwdriver blade behind the housing and the end cracked off leaving the rest inside the engine.

After some messing with it, I found that a 7/16-14 (not even sure why I had this size) tap fit perfectly into the exposed hole. I was able to thread the tap into the plastic housing and then use a pair of pliers to pry against the engine to pull it out. Crisis solved.

A 7/16 bolt would fit in there as well but wouldn't thread in as easy as a tap does.

I just wanted to post this in case this happens to anyone else.
Thanks for heads up!

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL- 227,700 Miles
759 Posts
Well.... dang!! I should have done it while adjusting valves- it’s the original one with 216k+/- miles

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,323 Posts
Well.... dang!! I should have done it while adjusting valves- it’s the original one either 216k+/- miles
It's easy to do. No engine disassembly required.
He's right. No need to tear things open like when doing a valve job. The only thing you have to remove is what Scotty Kilmer calls the plastic crap beauty cover. :D The PCV valve is one bolt on the outside of your engine, sort of below your oil dipstick, near the radiator. Just remember to be careful, as mentioned above.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,592 Posts
I didn't even have to remove the plastic cover. I used a small flat head screwdriver and a hammer to "gently" beat it out, then I twisted it out.

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX
31 Posts
Same story here, had to resort to the tap. On the second gen the PCV valve is located on the drivers side of the engine, but the PCV itself is identical
or similar enough for the 7/16 tap to work. The local ACE only had metric. Happy to report that a 12 mm tap also works (the 7/16 tap is 11.11 mm).
The 12 mm tap was biting at its very tip. In order to get more purchase I gently narrowed the tip (roughly the distal quarter of the tap) with a grinder.
A 10 mm tap will probably work too, since the valve cavity has a slightly conical shape. Excellent suggestion OP, thanks!

·
Registered
10,323 Posts
12 mm tap also works
A 10 mm tap will probably work too, since the valve cavity has a slightly conical shape.
Good of you to add to the knowledge base.

If you had known, would you have gone with a 10 mm, so as to avoid having to grind down the 12 mm?

Does an 11 mm even exist? Would you say that's the metric sweet spot?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I wound up using a 1/2" x 4" lag screw, and it took about 20 tries for it to finally catch. I held the lag screw with a pipe wrench and whacked the wrench with a rubber mallet and it finally came out. I have a tap & die set, I probably should have tried that first.

Did you guys with the broken PVC valves recover the piston and spring? I think I shot mine somewhere into the engine bay when I revved the engine to try and pop the broken PCV valve out.

·
Registered
11,496 Posts
The videos were pretty helpful. Prying gently at the stem rather than the bolt flange is key for a better outcome.
I would think a twist first to break the baked on oil bond would be best before pulling, tapping or prying out.

·
Registered
10,323 Posts
21 - 32 of 32 Posts