Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to change the PCV valve on my '05 Pilot. Loosened the one bolt holding it in and it would not come out. I tried to wiggle it and turn to get it out with no luck. I slipped a small flat screwdriver blade behind the housing and the end cracked off leaving the rest inside the engine.

After some messing with it, I found that a 7/16-14 (not even sure why I had this size) tap fit perfectly into the exposed hole. I was able to thread the tap into the plastic housing and then use a pair of pliers to pry against the engine to pull it out. Crisis solved.

A 7/16 bolt would fit in there as well but wouldn't thread in as easy as a tap does.

I just wanted to post this in case this happens to anyone else.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Thanks for the warning. I cleaned my pilot's ('05 with 106k mi) last weekend. I used brake cleaner. The rattle was still there but I still cleaned it anyway. Yes, it is somewhat tricky to remove the pcv valve (and to locate it, first. Lol). Heeding your advice, I carefully wiggeld it up and down with slight pressure as I pushed it out to create a small space so I can insert the flat head screw driver. Even then, I knew I had to be extra careful as I pryed it gently. Putting it back, I had to use the handle of the screw driver to tap (gently) it back in place.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I replaced mine with a new one, very inexpensive.:29:

·
Registered
288 Posts
I replaced mine with a new one, very inexpensive.:29:
You know what? You are right about this. Just called the Honda dealer nearby. It costs $20. I will stop by tomorrow and place the order (they don't stock this). Now that I know the location of the PCV valve and how easy to replace it. Initially, I was just curious if I can do it without much difficulty --so, I didn't have the new part handy. Thanks.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,323 Posts
Same thing happened to me today. While getting other stuff done (15% oil life reminder came on, so this time I decided to switch over to Mobil 1 full synthetic oil from now on, etc.), I had the PCV valve I had just ordered from Rockauto, so I asked my mechanic to change it out at the same time. Well, he tried to pry it out and it snapped, leaving the broken half inside. After unsuccessfully trying pull it out with a small hook, he had to resort to removing the entire valve cover. Took the better part of the afternoon...:werd:

I guess it's better to try gently twisting it out first, before any prying, but also wish I had read about your 7/16-14 tap solution.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just a shout-out thank you to jrf313. I bought a used '09 Pilot and the same thing happened to me yesterday. Spent a couple of hours trying to get the brittle piece of crap out with nothing to really provide purchase. I found this answer via google search and a 7/16-14 tap was exactly the ticket!
Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a shout-out thank you to jrf313. I bought a used '09 Pilot and the same thing happened to me yesterday. Spent a couple of hours trying to get the brittle piece of crap out with nothing to really provide purchase. I found this answer via google search and a 7/16-14 tap was exactly the ticket!
Thanks!
You're welcome. Glad it worked for you. My 2005 EX-L has 220,000+ miles. Runs beautifully! Good luck. This forum has an unbelievable amount of information.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wanted to also thank the original poster as although I found this post too late for my 2006 Accord which also broke I did find it before doing our 2007 Pilot. Sure enough it broke even after being extra careful trying to remove it. I was prepared though with a new tap/die set and sure enough with a little work I was able to get the 7/16-14 threaded and persuaded the old broken piece to pull right out. Thanks again saved several hours of work and a new set of gaskets.

Jeff

·
Registered
2 Posts
Warning this is a cheap plastic part. Do not attempt to change it out yourself unless you are prepared to remove the valve cover. I attempted this as a maintenance precaution and I had no idea what I was getting into. It seems like a simple enough task. Half of the old PCV Valve came out quite easily. The other half is at the repair shop with the rest of my 2013 pilot!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Within the last year or so, I changed the PCV on both my 2006 Pilot and 2008 Ridgeline and had no problems whatsoever. I'm curious why our experiences are so different.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was unfortunate and had mine not come out in one whole piece then tried to pull out with pliers and it disintegrated falling back into the valves so had to completely remove valve cover to get the pieces out. Hadn't been replaced in a 2005 pilot so definitely replace them every few years. It will save you a ton and only takes 2 min. to do normally. Good luck and hope you learn from my mistake as they are cheap plastic!

·
Registered
4 Posts
PCV Valve broke off in my 2011 Pilot EX-L and it looks like I will have to remove the valve cover. Can anyone point me to a good video on removing the valve cover, I cannot seem to find one.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I didn't need to remove the valve covers on my 2006 Pilot and 2008 Ridgeline to replace the PCV valve. You sure you need to do that? Maybe they changed the location/design.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,188 Posts
^^ You need to remove the valve cover when you’re unlucky and the valve breaks off inside the block.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
PCV Valve broke off in my 2011 Pilot EX-L and it looks like I will have to remove the valve cover. Can anyone point me to a good video on removing the valve cover, I cannot seem to find one.
I hope you read my original post on this thread. Not sure about the location on a 2011 but for earlier models I found a solution using a tap. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
After trying everything to get the broken PCV valve out, thanks for all of the great ideas, but unfortunately I could not get it all out. I had to remove the valve cover to get all of the pieces out. After putting everything back together, I am now good to go. Big lesson here is be very careful when prying the valve out and don't wait to replace it at 200,000 miles! Thanks for all of the advice.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,188 Posts
Glad to hear you were able to remove the broken pieces and got it put back together.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts