Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Drove over a rock, Broken oil pan.. what is this thing

My husband tried to get my Pilot up the same path/hill as my friends Explorer at a camp site.. Got stuck on a huge rock and this is the result.
Oil Pan is broken, assuming from all the oil that came out.. what is that Rusted Brown scratched thing. Looks like there is more that was ripped off.. what is missing. I need some kind of idea so i dont get screwed at the mechanic.

IMG-4414 — imgbb.com

Attachments

·
Registered
731 Posts
I believe that is just part of the exhaust system coming down from the engine. Looking towards the rear it looks like the catalytic converter (the silver round part).

The pipe looks like it was just scrapped and not dented or bent. Should be nothing to worry about.

Looks like some of the front air dam was torn off or damaged, especially on the left side of the picture. Mostly plastic so you should be able to replace it relatively easily.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yep, exhaust pipe coming down from the engine. If no hole / crack or loose, it'll be fine.

QUESTION: Did you kill and bury your husband up in the forest, or wait until you got home, and bury him in the backyard >:) ?

·
Registered
336 Posts
After you fix the pan Jsport Ridgeline / Pilot Skid Plate | Protection You Need | Jsport USA you can get right from Jsport or Collegehills Honda.

Honda should really make these an option as well as some other skid plating. I wonder if Jsport would do a group buy discount?

How are you getting it back to get repaired? I've seen some trailside fixes. We have similiar to these on or fire engine for plugging leak like that on fuel tanks. https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-Deck-Drain-Screw-in-Tan-100-Pack-845/304692291 rubber gasket on the washer. We have some different sizes/thickness.

JBWELD also makes patches for oil and gas tanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, exhaust pipe coming down from the engine. If no hole / crack or loose, it'll be fine.

QUESTION: Did you kill and bury your husband up in the forest, or wait until you got home, and bury him in the backyard >:) ?
Great question HAHAHA

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe that is just part of the exhaust system coming down from the engine. Looking towards the rear it looks like the catalytic converter (the silver round part).

The pipe looks like it was just scrapped and not dented or bent. Should be nothing to worry about.

Looks like some of the front air dam was torn off or damaged, especially on the left side of the picture. Mostly plastic so you should be able to replace it relatively easily.
Whats the front air dam?

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
what campsite did you go to in NY ? ...

·
Registered
336 Posts
what campsite did you go to in NY ? ...
What he said, what, where, how far off the beaten path is the camp? I think with the Pilot you need flatbed tow. Can a flatbed make it up to where that is? Just picking up front causes damage to driveline, angled towing will put rear bumper closer to rocks and possibly adding bodywork damage to the pain.

AutoWeld | J-B Weld Clean area good with brake cleaner to get rid of oil on surface, mix it up, jam it in the crack/hole and let cure per directions. Forced into all the cracks it will at least make it a slow drip that can be maintained to get back to civilized area if needed. Fill it with CHEAPEST dino oil store brand even if 5w-30, get some extra.

At least you could drive out.

We have tow trucks by me by the beach and you definitely want your credit card available should you need them. My friend went off road and had to get towed many years back and cost him left arm and right toe (or was that tow?)

·
Administrator
15,510 Posts
Oil pan replacement aren't that hard to do. However I suspect on the J35 engine the exhaust likely has to be removed to access some of the bolts.
Of concern is potential for damage to the oil pick up pipe. Call it an forced oil change. Doesn't have to be done at a dealer either.

Since your hubby hit a rock (thrown one at him for us will you), this counts as a comprehensive insurance claim, so the tow out on a flatbed, and repairs are covered by your policy.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
May whatever deity you believe in have mercy on your husband's soul until this situation is worked out...

As others have said, you are either going to need a flatbed tow out of there, a mobile mechanic to come give you a bush fix or try and JB Weld the pan back together... I'd say that's the order of "ideal" to "ghetto rigged"... either way I think you have to repair it the right way as the dealer will surely do an oil change on the car when you return it and will notice it, I've never leased before but I'm assuming they have a period to evaluate the vehicle after you hand them the keys...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Since your hubby hit a rock (thrown one at him for us will you), this counts as a comprehensive insurance claim, so the tow out on a flatbed, and repairs are covered by your policy.
I'm not sure if the conditions of collision and comprehensive vary per state but in PA, driving and hitting something other than a deer or act of nature is NOT comprehensive. This scenario, as it was described in the first post, is 100% collision.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I'm not sure if the conditions of collision and comprehensive vary per state but in PA, driving and hitting something other than a deer or act of nature is NOT comprehensive. This scenario, as it was described in the first post, is 100% collision.
Op is based out of NY its a good chance its covered under collision and comprehensive ..I have 3 deer kills and 4 shopping cart kills decal on my door from those buggers mine were covered, Also got told to check where I park my pilot I guess they think i try to park in the shopping cart coral. I guess it depends on what insurance carrier that is carried by the driver.

·
Registered
50 Posts

Good Point, I am sure insurance will cover it as long as it was not off-roading... :wink:

Example, most insurance wont cover hitting a wall at the drag strip because it is a racetrack. I also hear there is insurance for road race events to cover you if you crash at the track since normal insurance wont.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts