Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Pilot Touring with 220k miles. I went to check my oil today and the dipstick was stuck in the engine. After trying to pry it out the plastic handle snapped off in my hand. I have no idea how it came to be stuck. It broke off flush with the metal boss the dipstick sits in but there is still a portion of the plastic handle in there that I can see. Is the metal boss the dipstick sits in removable? I see two 10mm bolts above and below where the dipstick enters the engine. Can this piece be removed without too much fuss? I could attempt to drill into the remaining plastic and use a sheet metal screw with a slide hammer, but the brute force method has not been successful so far. I have all the surrounding plastic trim panels removed and have reasonable access, I’m just not sure exactly how this area is configured. An exploded drawing would help if one is available. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
5525374A-54AE-4A32-A12C-EC7A5F11B7F5.jpeg

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Do you have any good pictures of the dipstick port and what's left of your dipstick in it?

The solution may range from something as simple as needle-nose pliers to something more complex accordingly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The handle is broken flush right at the uppermost O ring. I have removed the O ring and am dousing the remaining piece with WD40 which will hopefully improve its mobility. I was able to turn the dipstick prior to its breaking so I know it’s somewhat mobile. I have been able to view the area with more light and can now see that the fasteners are part of a larger assembly that will not be easily removed. Currently my plan is to drill into the plastic remainder with a 3/32 drill bit and insert a wood screw and try to pull it with a pair of vise grips. Attached are photos of the remaining piece. Again, any suggestions/comments are appreciated. 6394183F-D2AB-4850-9AA9-A9269AAA4056.jpeg 4B41C22C-BA80-419C-BFBD-3F977DBE0126.jpeg 7980EA30-C863-4A96-A15C-86A4820B45A9.jpeg 7980EA30-C863-4A96-A15C-86A4820B45A9.jpeg 4B41C22C-BA80-419C-BFBD-3F977DBE0126.jpeg 6394183F-D2AB-4850-9AA9-A9269AAA4056.jpeg

·
Banned
379 Posts
Drilling it could push it down. It's plastic so maybe try a hair dryer to soften, not melt then needlenose? I would heat the tube, not the plastic directly.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,937 Posts

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,937 Posts
The biggest trick is going to be making sure no part of the dipstick falls into the engine. If you can start removing the dipstick port I would slide something (piece of paper with slit cut in it) between the port and engine block to ensure nothing falls in. Good luck. Let us know what you end up doing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw the Majestic breakdown. It’s clear once you have adequate light on the area that the dipstick tube is pressed into a more complex piece not easily removed. Looks like tomorrow it’s more WD40, heat and try to pry it out.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Forget the glue. Either remove the tube or melt and insert a wood screw while the plastic is soft.

Reactions: Slvr7

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem with my 06 Pilot. I used needle nose plyers and anything ese I could think of and it didn't work. I saw a trick on the internet that worked. You can drill in a screw on the exposed dipstick. It gave me more leverage to pull our the rest of the dipstick.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
The ONLY other option is to drop the oil pan ..hot glue may work or JB weld

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After a delay I finally got back to the dipstick issue. In the end, I could not determine if the tube the dipstick was inside was pressed or threaded into the engine so I opted to drill into the plastic end and screw in a wood screw. I used a 3/8 drill bit in a flexible right angle drive to reach. The space was too narrow for a conventional drill. I used a new drill bit and drilled slowly using the least amount of pressure needed. I was worried about pushing the remaining dipstick further down the tube it was inside. After the hole was drilled I put a #8 wood screw in the hole using a stubby screwdriver, again being careful not to apply more downward force then needed. Once the screw was fully seated (about 1/2 inch) I was able to pull it out with heavy pliers. Once it was out, the new dipstick did not want to fully seat into the tube so I cleaned the interior of the tube with a 1/2 inch round nylon brush and sprayed a bit of wd40 to clean the area out. This was followed by an immediate oil change. Now the new dipstick fits nicely and, at least for now, it pulls out easily. The confined area where this dipstick sits seems to encourage pulling on it at an angle when checking your oil level. This will, if your oil is not checked regularly, lead to breakage do to a combination of aged plastic and oil sludge collecting on the dipstick collar. While the glue methods may work for some, I have some doubts given the oily environment, but it certainly would be worth a try if you have a strong adhesive handy.

Thanks for all the suggestions! All’s well that ends well!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Glad it worked out. I had a similar issue and after tearing up the plug with pliers I used a blob of 5 minute epoxy joined with a scrap piece of plastic to coerce it free.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Just had to ask my son to check oil level in the new to him CRV and boy, how many times I reinforced, that the dipstick ring has to be pulled out carefully and straight!!!

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
I may start incorporating cleaning and lubing the seal on the dipstick seal to the oil change procedure.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Yah I had the same issue at my house but the boss also broke the oil cap, snapped the head right off!... left the threads in the valve cover.... brought it to my usual Honda place for a new oil cap ..parts guys out of the 25 years he has never seen a broken oil cap .

·
Registered
4 Posts
After a delay I finally got back to the dipstick issue. In the end, I could not determine if the tube the dipstick was inside was pressed or threaded into the engine so I opted to drill into the plastic end and screw in a wood screw. I used a 3/8 drill bit in a flexible right angle drive to reach. The space was too narrow for a conventional drill. I used a new drill bit and drilled slowly using the least amount of pressure needed. I was worried about pushing the remaining dipstick further down the tube it was inside. After the hole was drilled I put a #8 wood screw in the hole using a stubby screwdriver, again being careful not to apply more downward force then needed. Once the screw was fully seated (about 1/2 inch) I was able to pull it out with heavy pliers. Once it was out, the new dipstick did not want to fully seat into the tube so I cleaned the interior of the tube with a 1/2 inch round nylon brush and sprayed a bit of wd40 to clean the area out. This was followed by an immediate oil change. Now the new dipstick fits nicely and, at least for now, it pulls out easily. The confined area where this dipstick sits seems to encourage pulling on it at an angle when checking your oil level. This will, if your oil is not checked regularly, lead to breakage do to a combination of aged plastic and oil sludge collecting on the dipstick collar. While the glue methods may work for some, I have some doubts given the oily environment, but it certainly would be worth a try if you have a strong adhesive handy.

Thanks for all the suggestions! All’s well that ends well!
I just found the same issue on my 2015 pilot. I called the dealer who has done all oil changes since new and they said it may be an expensive job not under warranty! I explained that if they know about it how come they never pulled the stick in 5 years? answer: we use precise measurements to refill so it is not necesary. Reply: you see if you can get it out and i am not paying for it. When I learned to change oil, you check the stick just as a catch all , forgetting to add oil, loose pan plug, overfill, etc.
Can't wait to see what they say at appointment tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I just found the same issue on my 2015 pilot. I called the dealer who has done all oil changes since new and they said it may be an expensive job not under warranty! I explained that if they know about it how come they never pulled the stick in 5 years? answer: we use precise measurements to refill so it is not necesary. Reply: you see if you can get it out and i am not paying for it. When I learned to change oil, you check the stick just as a catch all , forgetting to add oil, loose pan plug, overfill, etc.
Can't wait to see what they say at appointment tomorrow.
So basically the stick has not been removed in 5 years and when you tried, it broke?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts