Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Pilot has 15k miles on it. This week the camshaft broke in two. The engine is being rebuilt. My VIN number is not subject to the recall for the water pump. Has anyone else had this severe problem?:mad:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
mmrpilot, truly sorry to hear about what happened to your Pilot. I this is the first I heard of the camshaft breaking. Hope it didn't create any danger to anyone.

Was there anything unusual about the car prior to this happening? Any unusual sounds or behavior?

·
Registered
61 Posts
mmrpilot, hope you're back on the road soon. What explanation/reason did your Honda dealer give you for the broken camshaft?

·
Registered
305 Posts
wow. Definitely need more details on this. I have never heard of a camshaft breaking in ANY car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No one was hurt, although my wife had to pass multiple cars at the entrance to the Bronx Zoo. No word back yet as to the cause but the camshaft is being analyzed. Parts are coming from multiple locations as this is not a problem this dealer, Bronx Honda (not my local dealer) has seen previously. The only noise was a slight tick in the engine that was to be checked in our service which was scheduled for this week. Too little, too late!

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
mmrpilot said:
... The only noise was a slight tick in the engine that was to be checked in our service which was scheduled for this week. Too little, too late!
"Ticking" sounds like a valve adjustment problem, but I never heard of a cam shaft getting wrecked by even the most 'out-of-adustment' valves. Usually some other part goes first, even if the cams are scored.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Broken Camshaft

My Pilot has 15k miles on it. This week the camshaft broke in two. The engine is being rebuilt.
Hey, mmrpilot. Could you please update this thread regarding your Pilot's broken camshaft. You have piqued my curiosity. Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts