Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realized after this last fiasco with my Pilot that I really should have a scan tool. I put out a couple of bucks and bought this one: https://www.amazon.com/FOXWELL-Syst...&sr=8-5&swrs=BD898F099765C370251A3119271979E0

Now I understand no one probably really cares what tool I bought, and that's fine...but I did want to share a precautionary tale about novice users (like ME) getting into trouble with one of these things. I had the Pilot parked in front of my shed, on a bit of an incline (enough that I always set the parking brake) and the wheels cut to the right because of how I have to get there...anyway...

I had already hooked the scan tool up to my laptop and after a small struggle registering and updating the software, I was good to go. I plugged it in and ran through the full scan or whatever it calls it. It (of course) found my p0420 code right away and the TMPS code I've been dragging around for awhile, but it also flagged a code related to the VSA system. Huh. Well, unconcerned and emboldened by the possession of this new toy, I selected the "Clear codes" option and disconnected the scanner. I start up the car, no CEL, no TPMS lights...awesome...but wait...the triangle with the exclamation point was illuminated. WTF??? I put it in drive and drove around the neighborhood, hoping it would turn off...nope...the VSA light came on after a bit too...now I was pissed, confused, frustrated, whatever you want to call it. Just my luck, I use a tool that is supposed to help solve problems and I end up creating them...

Once I was able to think clearly, I got on the internet and started digging around, and discovered that I must have somehow reset steering angle or yaw sensor or something else with the VSA since I was parked on a hill with the wheels turned. I pulled it onto the street, level with wheels pointed straight, ran system specific scans, the display on the tool told me to turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock, then drive straight ahead for 10 ft., turn the key off, and then back on, and presto! System recalibrated, lights out.

So I am impressed with the capabilities of this scanner, and a little afraid of the power it really gives you.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,234 Posts
Thanks for sharing the cautionary tale, and good move getting a good scanner and learning to master it. (y)

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,174 Posts
You purchased a nice scan tool. I have the NT520 and it has come in handy on more than a few occasions.

Thanks for sharing your adventure; I would never have guessed clearing the codes on an incline with wheels turned would have caused that issue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts