Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw in a thread on a different topic that Honda is now putting the Bridgestone Dueler H/L on the Pilot. If they really have stopped using the Goodyears and switched to the Bridgestones, I am happy (especially since we haven't purchased our Pilot yet).


If it IS the Dueler H/L , then I can vouch for the tire. We replaced the original Bridgestone Duelers on our 97 CRV with the Dueler H/L and it was a great improvement. I would purchase these tires again!

And don't worry about Bridgestone being connected to Firestone. Bridgestone is the largest tire maker in the world. They happen to own Firestone. Just like Michelin owns BFGoodrich.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
991 Posts
Don't mean to start a war but why are people still concerned about Firestone tires? I saw a documentary the other day and they finally said that it was the Ford Exploder that was the problem (of course Ford will not admit to this) Rollover rate is now mandatory for all 2003 models and most companies have extended SUV's width two inches wider then before for lesser rollover issues. This might explain why Honda took way longer to produce an SUV like the Pilot?? Bronco II first year was 1983 and that thing was the king of rollovers..

Has anyone else seen this or hear of it, if I am in error in any way please let me know

thanks
rob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
Why are they switching to Firestone? Is there something wrong with the stock tire?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
373 Posts
I had the Firestones on my Mountaineer and other than being really noisy I didn't have any trouble (71K, still trying to sell).
The replacements were another story.

The real issue (IMO) was Firestone had some real quality problems (with some tires, not all) and Ford had people put the tire pressure at 26psi (30 psi now).
If you take a borderline tire, run it at low pressure fully loaded in very hot temperatures nothing good can come from it.
I think that if you took 8 million of any fair to poor quality tire and subjected them to the same conditions you would probably end up with the same results (only the law suits will tell for sure).

I don't think the Explorer/Mountaineer is any more likely to tip than any other similarly designed SUV (that's not to say it won't).
The newly designed SUVs including the Pilot have been designed to be much safer. At highway speeds the Mounty got very loose, I don't think I would want to have to swerve to avoid anything.

I'm on the road quite a bit and that was a major reason I got the Pilot, it's wonderful on the highway but I don't like their choice of tires.

Here's the link to info on the rollover resistance rating.
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/hot/rollover/


gopilot said:
Don't mean to start a war but why are people still concerned about Firestone tires? I saw a documentary the other day and they finally said that it was the Ford Exploder that was the problem (of course Ford will not admit to this) Rollover rate is now mandatory for all 2003 models and most companies have extended SUV's width two inches wider then before for lesser rollover issues. This might explain why Honda took way longer to produce an SUV like the Pilot?? Bronco II first year was 1983 and that thing was the king of rollovers..

Has anyone else seen this or hear of it, if I am in error in any way please let me know

thanks
rob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Bridgestone

No offense to Jungle Jim, but as I mentioned in another post I have had two sets of Bridgestone tires on two different vehicles. (Both mini-vans) The first set was fine, not stellar, but OK. The second set were POS. What finally frosted me, was the unwillingness of the dealer to ultimately make good on them. I even had two different employees from the tire company ride with me in the van. The vibration was severe, and they both noticed it. Still the manager kept trying to blame it on the van. I have sworn never to buy tires from them again, and will never again own Bridgestones under any set of circumstances. It' pretty much Michelin or nothing from here on out. Will keep the Goodyears as long as the ride is smooth and relatively quiet, when they start to go, in comes the Michelin.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Bridgestone

tibbitts said:
No offense to Jungle Jim, but as I mentioned in another post I have had two sets of Bridgestone tires on two different vehicles. (Both mini-vans) The first set was fine, not stellar, but OK. The second set were POS. What finally frosted me, was the unwillingness of the dealer to ultimately make good on them. I even had two different employees from the tire company ride with me in the van. The vibration was severe, and they both noticed it. Still the manager kept trying to blame it on the van. I have sworn never to buy tires from them again, and will never again own Bridgestones under any set of circumstances. It' pretty much Michelin or nothing from here on out. Will keep the Goodyears as long as the ride is smooth and relatively quiet, when they start to go, in comes the Michelin.
I've has similar experiences with Goodyear tires in the past. So I'll NEVER have, or keep, Goodyears on one of my vehicles.

I too am a Michelin man. But the only Michelin available for the CRV at the time were the XOnes with whitewalls! No thank you. We got 72,000 miles out of the OEM Bridgestones that came with the CRV and had no problems. The new Dueler HL's are just that much better (great in snow last winter).

Everyone must take past experience into consideration.

I trying BFGoodrich on my VW. I hope I'm happy with these!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
920 Posts
If this is the case, do you think Honda will swap the Goodyears for the Bridgestones for people whose Pilots came with the Goodyears???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
gopilot said:
Don't mean to start a war but why are people still concerned about Firestone tires? I saw a documentary the other day and they finally said that it was the Ford Exploder that was the problem (of course Ford will not admit to this) Rollover rate is now mandatory for all 2003 models and most companies have extended SUV's width two inches wider then before for lesser rollover issues. This might explain why Honda took way longer to produce an SUV like the Pilot?? Bronco II first year was 1983 and that thing was the king of rollovers..

Has anyone else seen this or hear of it, if I am in error in any way please let me know

thanks
rob
Car and Driver studied the Explorer/Firestone controversy and found the Explorer no different than other SUV's at the time. In all the tests they performed the Explorer remained stable and required little if no driver correction to stop safely. Their conclusion was that most rollovers were due to driver error. This is much like what Audi ran into with the unintended acceleration problem. Every study I read said it was driver error not the Audi, but people do not want to blame themselves.
A SUV needs to be small and narrow to be agile off road. People who drive older SUV's should know how they will handle and adjust. Explorer and Pilot both have IRS and wider tracks for stability which is great for onroad performance but makes them less desireable offroad.
I'm not sure what percentage of blame goes to Ford and what percent goes to Firestone, but if the tires didn't fall apart there would have not been anything to cause the rollovers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
bridgestone/firestone/goodyear/michelin/etc.

JungleJim nailed it when he said, you have to consider past experience. I am sure Bridgestone makes some very good tires, but I haven't had that experience. At the same time, I have had good luck with Goodyear, and B.F. Goodrich. So far my experience has been good with Michelin. So who is to say? I honestly believe most of my attitude is due to the lack of effort on the part of the dealer to solve the problem with my Bridgestones. But it still leaves a really bad taste in my mouth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Another thing to remember is that each manufacturer has different lines of tires. My experiences with Firestone and Goodyear have not been great but they were OEM tires that came on the car and were not either companies better tires. I choose my replacement tires carefully and have had great results from Michelin, Dunlop, and Pirelli.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
l had two CRV's before buying a Pilot (Actually called MRV here in the Middle East).
The first had BF Goodrich tyres which were great.
The second had Bridgestone H/T duellers. Noisy and cheap. Didn't even last 38,000km's.
l was very disappointed when the Pilot turned up with the same tyre from Bridgestone. If anything, they are noisier than on the CRV.
Will look at trading them in on something else.
In the mean time l am more than happy with our new car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Treadwear on Dueler H/Ts

Keep in mind that many H/Ts (including the CR/V) are treadwear rated at 180, but the Pilot/MRV OEMs are rated at 300.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
pedens said:
l had two CRV's before buying a Pilot (Actually called MRV here in the Middle East).
The first had BF Goodrich tyres which were great.
The second had Bridgestone H/T duellers. Noisy and cheap. Didn't even last 38,000km's.
l was very disappointed when the Pilot turned up with the same tyre from Bridgestone. If anything, they are noisier than on the CRV.
Will look at trading them in on something else.
In the mean time l am more than happy with our new car.
This is really surprising, since most of the members on the CRV boards had the opposite experience. Like I said before, we got over 70,000 miles out of our OEM Bridgestone Dueller A/T's. The current Dueller H/L's we bought are just that much better (quieter, better in snow, ect.). TireRack rates the H/L very high. So did Consumer Reports.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Everyone,

The new Bridgestone on the Pilot is an "H/T", not an "A/T" or "H/L". The ratings for this tire at Tirerack are poor. Tirerack is incorrect in listing the 235/70/16 as an 180BB -- it is actually 300BB (same DOT rating as the 225/70/16 that's on the Toyota Highlander).

The tread design may look better than the Goodyear Integrity but it really doesn't look like the Michelin Cross Terrain tread design (which has more siping and therefore better snow capability).

Someone was told to expect 50,000 miles on the Bridgestone but it has NO treadlife warranty (Goodyear was 50,000 miles and Michelin CT is 65,000 miles).

I'm replacing my Bridgestones in the morning with Michelin CTs even though I haven't driven it yet (Pilot delivered to my door by salesman - less than 25 miles on tires).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
373 Posts
GACrabill said:
Everyone,

The new Bridgestone on the Pilot is an "H/T", not an "A/T" or "H/L". The ratings for this tire at Tirerack are poor. Tirerack is incorrect in listing the 235/70/16 as an 180BB -- it is actually 300BB (same DOT rating as the 225/70/16 that's on the Toyota Highlander).
The Bridgestone tread pattern of the Dueler HT's that are on our HL look nothing like the Bridgestone website shows.
The number following the HT on the tires is 687 (maybe a series code).
The closest tread pattern is the Dueler H/P with UNI-T AQ but it's not exact either. There is a Slot down the center of the tread not at the edges. The rating is correct at 300BB.
I'm curious how these compare with the tires HT's on the Pilot (with a poor rating).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
pjb3 said:


Explorer and Pilot both have IRS and wider tracks for stability which is great for onroad performance but makes them less desireable offroad.
pjb3,

IRS? What are you referring to?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
373 Posts
Independent Rear Suspension.
A solid rear axle is typically considered more robust for serious Off-roading.
I say typically because vehicles like the Hummer H1 (the H2 has a solid rear axle) have an IRS that is specifically designed for Off-road.
The benefit of having IRS is On-road handling and a better ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top