Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bet this is a weird question, but we have this SUV because it is large enough for our 4 large dogs to travel in. BUT, when I traded the 2013 for the 2019 (Pilot Elite) I lost the back bench seat and instead got captain's chairs. They are lovely for human companions but not so much for a 75 pound dog. We would rather have the cargo area. It was not an option with the air cooled front seats (Come on Honda, more flexibility in your options would be very nice. Dogs don't really care about the DVD player either but again, not optional ) Has any clever person come up with something that would make the back seat more of a bench seat when folded down? Mr. wants to make something but I wondered if it already existed.

We are looking at a 12 hour road trip with the pups and maximizing the available space is very important. Photo for attention.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Sometimes I wish I had your problem as rear captain chairs would reduce my seating capacity as I rarely use the third row. Some innovative Overlanders build plywood platforms to create a flat surface suitable for sleeping or in your case safer flat surfaces for the fur babies.

·
Registered
421 Posts
With the captain chairs up, we fill in the center space gap with blankets to match the height of the chairs. Then use a rubberized back through rug across all then a bench seat cover.

With the chairs down maybe you can do something similar and use a rubber floor mat from Home Depot.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just recently looking into this myself. I personally don't understand why manufactures only offer captains on the highest end.

This is an "American Made" custom option that uses would to form a solid floor and backrest.
Seat Floor

Another option is a "Hammock" for smaller dogs.

Third option is a cushion for just the floor. Air or material type.
Floor cushion

·
Registered
240 Posts
I use a second-row platform in mine more than I use the seats.

Building a platform is not a simple DIY, but I suspect that removing the seats is simple. That's what I would look into first. You get lots of open space and re-claim a ton of volume with the seats out. Easy to reverse when you get home, too. Just check and make sure that the seats don't wire into any air bags before you start disconnecting things.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you so very much for such useful information!! I knew I couldn't be alone in the struggle for a solution. Orvis also makes a box that has storage in it which seems like a great idea for traveling a long distance with dogs. I'm really very grateful for everyone' replies.

·
Administrator
15,373 Posts
I'd go visit a car upholstery shop or two in your area. I am sure they could between wood for the frame and color matched vinyl make a great solution to your problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts