Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, can anyone tell me what milage you were at when you had your first break pads replaced? Also, has anyone done it themselves? My boyfriend did my accura all the time, Was wondering if these "floating" breaks are any different? (The dealer told me that they change position when I go from reverse to drive, and that is the little 'thunk' that I hear. Sound right??

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I hear the "thunk" (and a click) too, the first time I step on the brakes backing out of the garage. After that, I don't hear it. I wondered what it was.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
That's right. The calipers move slightly, causing that noise. Nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Gotta love these searches...

YAY! I love you guys. I thought I may have had issues with the suspension, but what you describe is exactly what I've heard, and it is only when I first tap the brakes. You saved me a call to the dealership, and some embarrassment too.
Thank you all knowing hondapilot.org members!
:6:

:20: :20:

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Pilotgal said:
Just curious, can anyone tell me what milage you were at when you had your first break pads replaced? Also, has anyone done it themselves? My boyfriend did my accura all the time, Was wondering if these "floating" breaks are any different? (The dealer told me that they change position when I go from reverse to drive, and that is the little 'thunk' that I hear. Sound right??
BRAKE pad wear can vary so much - there is no pat answer to what mileage they should last before replacement. If you do nothing but stop-and-go city driving, the life expectancy will be very low - perhaps less than 20K miles. But if you do almost all highway driving, they could easily last well over 100K miles. When I sold my '88 Subaru, which I commuted 85 miles a day RT, it had the original brake pads (and clutch) at 160K miles.

YMMV

·
Registered
461 Posts
I was just talking to American Honda about a similar noise yesterday as well as some other issues. That one they could explain. There is a space between the caliper and the ???(I'm not a car person, the pad maybe??) which closes quickly when you begin driving. The noise is made as the 2 parts come together through the air space.

That one they can solve, but not why I contine to have miserable mileage. I guess it time to give up on that problem and just accept I have one of the mileage challenged Pilots.

·
Registered
51 Posts
my3kids

So, when you say "That one they can solve...", do you mean they think that IS a problem (not by design) and suggest you to a dealer to fix it? My Pilot makes that sort of break noice sometimes...

·
Registered
461 Posts
newbie: No, the noise is aparently fine. It is just a Pilot thing. Nothing to fix. They were aware of the issue though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts