Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be getting my Silver EX in about three weeks and was wondering what everyone was doing for breaking in the engine?

I generally do not own new cars so this is a little new. My recollection was that you needed to put 500 milies with a wide range of speeds and condition but not to much of the same conditions ie no long trips at the same highway speed.

Is this still hold true or is it outdated.

Looking forward to the breakin!:D

·
Registered
176 Posts
Same approach today as ever...

PLUS don't forget about Honda's special break-in oil -- installed at the factory & change at 3750!

MonkDM said:
Will be getting my Silver EX in about three weeks and was wondering what everyone was doing for breaking in the engine?

I generally do not own new cars so this is a little new. My recollection was that you needed to put 500 milies with a wide range of speeds and condition but not to much of the same conditions ie no long trips at the same highway speed.

Is this still hold true or is it outdated.

Looking forward to the breakin!:D

·
Registered
152 Posts
Re: Re: Breakin Period and approach?

renov8r said:
Same approach today as ever...

PLUS don't forget about Honda's special break-in oil -- installed at the factory & change at 3750!

Who told you that you change it at 3750??? Read the book, it's 7500!

·
Registered
797 Posts
From the Honda Ownerlink:

Why should I wait to change the oil the first time?

Your Honda engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process.

American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving conditions.

·
Registered
47 Posts
if you follow the severe conditions schedule (as I have always done with my hondas) the first change happens at 3750.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Owners manual says 600 miles for break in. We've got 500 on our and the first 250-300 were mostly city and a little highway. Just took a mini road trip of about 200 miles with some combination of city but mostly highway. Always varied the speed on the highway and went through many small towns going fast and slow. I wouldn't set the cruise and go but road trips are ok as long as it varies in speed in my opinion.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. It sounds like it hasn't changed much over the years.

Now all I need is the vehicle. Should be in three weeks but I am not holding my breath.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts