Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, the book says to take it easy for the first 600 miles. It also says that you should change the oil on the first 7500 miles. I feel like changing my oil at 1000.

What do you think?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Theres been a lot of talk about 'when to do the first oil-change'. You might want to do a search on this topic.

Apparently there is some special additive in the oil that is not to be replaced until 7500. I am not going to be changing oil on ours at least until 5000. We have about 2000 miles so far in about 2.5 months of ownership.

·
Registered
389 Posts
If you live on extreme weather conditions, I say the earliest is 3,500. In my case (Las Vegas), I will do it at around 5,000.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: See what my dealer said

N_Jay said:
Good little thread. I don't usually check that forum. It seems like the consensus is that there is some kind of moly additive which helps prepare the engine. I also spoke to my dealers service guy and he advised changing the oil between 3000-5000 miles.

I guess I'll change it at 5000 to be safe.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would lean toward the 3000-5000 mile change. Oils are such quality and filters work so well that changing sooner , even the first time, is unnecessary. Whatever you do, don't install synthetic oil before 3000-5000 miles, as the coefficient of friction in synthetics is so slick that it stops the wearing-in of the engine immediately. New engines need a reasonable amount of miles to break in and arrive at the optimum clearances for long life.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Oil change and Breakin

There was an article in Consumer Reports a couple years ago about oil changes. They studied NY Taxi cabs doing some oil changes every 3000 and others 7500. After some g'zillion miles, they tore down the engines. There was no difference. Conclusion...only Jiffy Lube wants you to change at 3000. Never hurts to be safe however.
Also I worked at a large Engine plant for 5 years. The minute an engine is "born" it goes thru a 15 minute test that includes warmup, idle test, low and high RPM tests and get this..."snap acceleration". So it is "rodded" before it leaves the factory. Now prior to 1988, machining tolerances were not what they became a few years later. We used to measure each piston and label it A, B, C sized and match it to A,B,C cylinders. But as time went on, machining improved such that matching was no longer necessary. If built "right", it is "right" for life.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Yeah, always thought 3000 way too soon; unless you do lots of towing. I had a 1984 Accord that I had 375000, engine still ran like a champ. Changed the oil every 5000, easy too remeber.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Looks like every Honda Service Technician have varying opinion on the first oil change. I asked my Service Technician yesterday and he said, 3,500 will be my first oil change, this is because of the extreme heat condition in Las Vegas. He also said they don't add any more additives on new cars, it's just regular motor oil.

I wish somebody can officially confirm this with Honda.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Changing the oil

From Consumer Reports Oct 2000:

"For years, the mechanic's refrain was, "Change your oil every 3,000 miles," but engines and their oils last longer than before. In our taxicab test, we changed each car's oil every 6,000 miles and found no downside to that interval. Indeed, most automakers now recommend changing oil every 7,500 miles or six months (whichever comes first) for "normal" driving and every 3,000 miles or three months for "severe" driving. Trouble is, no one has conclusively defined "severe." The Car Care Council, an industry group representing service technicians, reckons that severe conditions involve driving in very hot or very cold weather, towing heavy loads, or making frequent starts and stops. That seems as fair a definition as any. "

·
Registered
335 Posts
So would towing a 900lb boat for 750 miles(over several trips) be considered severe, thus pushing up the first oil change mileage?

·
Registered
919 Posts
This is just my personal interpretation, but given that the manual states that you should only follow the severe schedule if MOST of your driving is under the listed conditions and that you should follow the normal schedule if you only drive under those conditions SOME of the time, I would say no. Change it at 7,500. If the boat were much heavier, I might feel a little differently. If you want to put your mind at ease, maybe split the difference and change at 5k. Again, this is just my opinion.

Chris

·
Registered
920 Posts
Do the first one at 5k, then the following ones @ 7500k...can't go wrong

·
Registered
144 Posts
You can safely switch to synthetic at the first manufacurer recommended oil and filter change. 5000 to 7500 miles is sufficient for break-in of today's engines.

·
Registered
10 Posts
7500 is fine with me.

The best thing you can do is leave it in as long as you can. The motor will be happy, I promise. The dealers are correct in telling you to leave it in til 7500. It is the Jiffy lubes of the world that have convinced you to change frequently. Unless it looks like the labrea tar pits on the stick, leave the oil alone.
:4:

If anything you should worry about more on this vehicle is keeping the tires properly inflated at all times, and make sure to rotate the tires religously...:1:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts