Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't noticed anybody talking about the break in period for new Pilots. In the manual it says 600 miles w/o hard acceleration and 200 miles w/o hard breaking. Did any one follow this recommendation?

Of course, I was careful about this, but I let my neighbor test drive mine and he starts off with a nice pedal-to-the-metal start. He'll never be using my Pilot again...:9: :awais:

·
Registered
920 Posts
Too funny...he sounds like a true ****ing moron. Some people's kids ...

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Jet-Pilot-64 said:
I haven't noticed anybody talking about the break in period for new Pilots. In the manual it says 600 miles w/o hard acceleration and 200 miles w/o hard breaking. Did any one follow this recommendation?
well I did try (sort of) not to do hard acceleration etc for the first 1000 miles

·
Registered
41 Posts
My wife was nice for the first 600 Miles, then she got on it.

The WRX was 1000. 1000 LONG Miles......

:2:

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
My Salesman (and Pilot owner) told me to break her in at all speeds, "don't drive like a grandma" he said.
Was anyone else told to drive her normally? I had always heard the "don't go over 50mph for the first 1,000 miles"- not realistic in todays world, unless you drive on empty roads constantly.
So this "break her in at all speeds" was new to me.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I wasn't told anything about a "break-in period" yesterday. He just talked to me about putting in regular gas and keeping the tires inflated, etc.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
74PILOTMOM said:
My Salesman (and Pilot owner) told me to break her in at all speeds, "don't drive like a grandma" he said.
Was anyone else told to drive her normally? I had always heard the "don't go over 50mph for the first 1,000 miles"- not realistic in todays world, unless you drive on empty roads constantly.
Hmmm, they didn't say anything at the dealer to me about break in. My co-worker recently bought a Toyota Tacoma and they said the truck was broken in at the factory, no break in period necessary.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Jet-Pilot-64 said:
My co-worker recently bought a Toyota Tacoma and they said the truck was broken in at the factory, no break in period necessary.

speaking of toyota trucks...did you see the toyota tundra chase scenes in terminator 3 ....good advertisement in T3 (the terminaterix drives the Lexus SC )

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ramirami said:

speaking of toyota trucks...did you see the toyota tundra chase scenes in terminator 3 ....good advertisement in T3 (the terminaterix drives the Lexus SC )
What's the break in period for the Terminatrix? :22:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Jet-Pilot-64, about that neighbour of yours....

What an inconsiderate idiot. Even if I was given the steering wheel of a Porsche to take it for a spin, I'd never floor a car that belongs to someone else. Don't lend him any of your powertools either. I can just picture him trying to drill through a concrete wall with a drillbit for wood and thinks nothing of the smoke that's filling the air.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RipRocK said:

She'd be shipped off to the junkyard after just one night with me :5:
Hence the name RIP-Rock?:26:

·
Registered
115 Posts
74PILOTMOM said:
I was told by the dealer to drive it normally, not overly gently, but to avoid excessively aggressive accelleration and heavy breaking.

In fact, I was advised (By a reputable mechcanic) to intentionally press it from time to time ( only after it was fully warmed up) to insure proper expansion of the rings to get proper ring breakin as early as possible ( Again- advice to avoid full throttle accelleration)

Hope that helps you.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Jet-Pilot, sorry I got sidetracked with my replies. What I was told was that for the first 1,000KM or so, not to drive at a constant speed. I was told to step on the gas, steadily reach a certain speed, then let off the gas for a reasonable amount of time, like so as not to impede the traffic behind you and etc. This, supposedly, helps to seal in the components in the engine and etc. I got most of my break-in tips from newsgroups.

Also, don't baby the car either during the break-in period, but don't floor the gas either. If you baby it, the parts never break in properly and supposedly, the car won't perform to its full potential, particularly in accelerating.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Bust out of the dealership and floor it until you hit 100. That way all your speeds should be broken in and all the parts have seen all the performance they need to. And don't forget to slam on the brakes for 100-0 so they are well tested too!

I think the old break in period for cars is quickly becoming a thing of the past. Just be reasonable in your driving habits. You don't need to floor it at every red light. It's not a sports car so you don't need to test all the turns to the max. Keep it within normal limits and you'll be fine. And don't panic if you do hit 80-85, how do you think those cars get broken in on I-95? (outside of DC anyway...)

·
Registered
483 Posts
I was told by a service advisor that the engine was already broken in at the factory, I don't know how true this is but if you drive the car under "normal" conditions you should be ok.

This really isn't the kind of car that makes you want to go out and do burnouts or anything.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
tonyrwc said:
I was told by a service advisor that the engine was already broken in at the factory, I don't know how true this is but if you drive the car under "normal" conditions you should be ok.
Seems like that service manager should be told something like "Lier Lier Pants on Fire!"

Hmm, think I used that line before.

:2: :2:

·
Registered
24 Posts
So who would you believe on a break-in period you're mechanic or a honda engineer? Follow the book. I hate people who are inconsiderate of other peoples car...You should have smacked him in the face for flooring you're car.

So for me I drove mine no more than 55 to 60 mph on hwy for the first 800 miles....and easy acceleration don't care if the person behind me is getting pissed. Never went over 3k rpms and very gentle breaking. I would think honda would want you to have a realiable vehicle or else their reputation would go down the drain. So trust the manual just like anything else you buy. Don't buy into the drive it like you stole it method. It's simple observation of owning cars for over 10 years...the ones i drove hard ran rough after a while and the ones you baby drove like new....so think about that.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Pilot09 said:
So who would you believe on a break-in period you're mechanic or a honda engineer? Follow the book. I hate people who are inconsiderate of other peoples car...You should have smacked him in the face for flooring you're car.

So for me I drove mine no more than 55 to 60 mph on hwy for the first 800 miles....and easy acceleration don't care if the person behind me is getting pissed. Never went over 3k rpms and very gentle breaking. I would think honda would want you to have a realiable vehicle or else their reputation would go down the drain. So trust the manual just like anything else you buy. Don't buy into the drive it like you stole it method. It's simple observation of owning cars for over 10 years...the ones i drove hard ran rough after a while and the ones you baby drove like new....so think about that.
This might be a record.

Responding to a 5 year old post. :)

Oh, and welcome to the group.:4:

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
N_Jay said:

This might be a record.

Responding to a 5 year old post. :)

Oh, and welcome to the group.:4:
I love it! BTW - that pedal-to-the-metal start my neighbor pulled seems to have had no ill affects on the old beast. Still running like a champ! 95K!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts