Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

brass looking particals in the oil tonight

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Tahoefever 
#1 ·
Hey guys ,

Did my usual yadda yadda... oil change tonight and I discovered in the drain pain brass looking metal particals... She's coming up to the 87k on the meter .. I'm looking in the oil pan going what the hell ...
Any ideas ?

#4 ·
i usually stick with the mobile 1 oil filter been a mobile 1 guys for years first time i saw crap like this in the oil. its almost like break in debri .. but little supprised to see this considering the mileage .

#5 ·
Weird. Are they pretty noticeable pieces or just fine powdery particles. Is it something you just noticed or do you look closely every time?
You would think the filter would catch them regardless.
If its brass, the magnet won't pick it up.
I have always wanted to do a Blackstone analysis......it would tell you exactly what's going on.
Might be something to consider.
Got any pics of it?

#6 ·
The only brass-colored metal in the engine oil system is the copper backing under the tin plate in the plain bearings (rods, mains, thrust). If you are finding that in the sump at your mileage it's cause for concern. You might decide to cut the oil filter apart (use the correct dedicated cutting tool, like a big pipe cutter) and pull the paper element open to see what's in there too. Oil analysis folks like Blackstone (as suggested by Farnsrocket) can tell you what the metal is, and that might give you more to go on as far as source. They've been pretty good about sharing possible contamination sources based on the metal they find.

FWIW, I'd be looking hard at the thrust faces on the main bearings, after your recent work on the front oil seal and the oil sump R&R.

#7 ·
As tempting as it is.. this pilot bumper to bumper warranty ends at 108k so I'm tempted just to let the dealership deal with it. Even with my other pilots that had the oil seal done n stuff they both got 200k and not once I saw this crap in the oil.

#8 ·
The magnetic drain plug idea was a great idea when engines and so many of the parts were cast iron... with so much being aluminum now the magnets don't catch anything.

#9 ·
We are talking about the Oil plug ..not the tranny plug correct? cause the last time I checked there is no magnet on the oil pan ..only the tranny

Just a thought if coolant was mixing with the oil would it show like pieces of metal in the oil but when you try to pickup a piece it's liquid....

#12 ·
What are your driving habits? Lots of short drives result in condensation forming in the crankcase which could lead to some water in the oil if it doesn't get hot enough to burn it off.

#13 ·
only short drive I got is the pit stop at the local Duncan donuts for my regular xl coffee and it's highway non stop at 430 am in NY there is Nothing on the road ..except a few fellow piloteers BUT I wont mention any names :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.