Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What brand of gas do you use? Several people, including the mechanic at my Honda dealer, recommended Amoco.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Mostly Quiktrip or Sam's Club with no problems. Most gas these days is perfectly fine unless you get some from a poorly maintained station, but that can be anybody's.

·
Registered
797 Posts
100% ESSO

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Bean Burrito

:12:

·
Registered
919 Posts
Petrol, not methane PrG! I was wondering what that smell was around here.

I usually hit either the BP or Shell because they are right on my daily path. If I'm out and about, I don't have any reservations against any of the other major chains. I do avoid stations where the primary color of the place is rust.

Chris

·
Registered
143 Posts
Shell

Not because they are any better than Mobil, BP Amoco or anyone else.....Shell uses a (5% fuel/1% all other purchases) rebate visa card underwritten by Chase.

With the apparent gasoline price fixing and relatively low fuel economy of the Pilot, every little bit counts. I figured I "saved" about $150 on fuel last year alone, using their card.

Just make sure you pay off the card every month to realize the savings.

·
Registered
797 Posts
UPromise

I can't take advantage of the ExxonMobil rebate in Germany, however I do belong to UPromise.com. If you are saving money for your kid's college fund, you can get a rebate towards many of your purchases by linking your credit card to a 529 Plan and you get free money from retailers above and beyond any other credit card perks/rebates. Check out www.upromise.com for details - the list of retailers is quite extensive. In 18 years every dollar earned will add up.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks, Autobahn, for your mention of upromise! I'd been hearing about it for a few months, and kept planning to look into it, but never got around to it...until tonight.

This board is great -- and for more than just Pilot stuff.

·
Registered
116 Posts
BTW, I had convinced myself that BP Ultimate was making my car run smoother -- until I noticed that the new BP pumps now sport the Amoco logo. I assume that their gas is now coming from the same place?

And I'd always disliked Texaco...seemed to really bring out the ping in my old NissanQuest. But now the Texaco guy tells me that they're all changing to Shell, which I don't mind (tho I still like the BP).

Whether it's the pumps or the gas, I do find that BP Ultimate is giving me the best gas mileage. And my mileage seemed to have improved after my first oil change...got 18.6 in town as opposed to more like 17 on my first post-chnge tank.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Mainly Shell (same reason as Spartanman) and Amoco. My mechanic that works exclusivly on Honda's and Accura's mentioned to me once that it doesn't hurt to put a tank of premium in once a month, as it will help clean the fuel injectors. So once a month on Super Tuesday's at the Shell I'll put in premium (save 8 cents a gallon, plus the 6% rebate). I have noticed a difference in the performance and fuel mileage when I started doing that on my Passport before I traded it for the Pilot and have continued the routine.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Mobil or Exxon. . .but mostly because they are hooked up with Upromise.
TopMomm, just for a reference, in a year, they've contributed like $35 to the college savings account. Doesn't sound like a lot, but they only contribute a cent a gallon (2 cents if you use speedpass during promotional periods) Hey, every cent counts!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Dano or any other upromise users...which of those college savings plans do you use? I'm wondering about the fees charged...I started reading the fine print on one of them and it sounded like the fees might use up any upromise $$$$.

Hope I'm reading this wrong...

·
Registered
797 Posts
TopMomm said:
Dano or any other upromise users...which of those college savings plans do you use? I'm wondering about the fees charged...I started reading the fine print on one of them and it sounded like the fees might use up any upromise $$$$.

Hope I'm reading this wrong...
I have the Fidelity one from New Hampshire. As long as you make regular contributions or have a minimum balance, I think most do not charge fees. I believe UPromise will let you start saving with out a 529 plan and add it at a much later date. Check out these links for details on each state:
http://www.savingforcollege.com/
http://www.collegesavings.org/

·
Registered
481 Posts
TopMomm

Autobahn is correct. I also have the New Hampshire Fidelity plan. As long as you have direct debit from your bank account into your 529, no fees. . .

·
Registered
102 Posts
Citco and Amoco. I always used Amoco exclusively in my previous 3 Hondas but when my wife bought a Subaru Outback in 1997 and used Amoco the car ran lousy. She switched to Citco and Gulf and the car was fine.

I am back to Amoco with the Pilot. It loves it and I think my fuel economy has improved by 1 mpg (only used 2 tankfuls so far).

2003 #09131 SS EX

·
Registered
411 Posts
Have been told by mechanics and dealers not to use BP (including when it was Sohio here in Ohio).

Liked Amoco, but all Amoco's here in Ohio switched to being Shell (Amoco was always 100% gasoline).

I only use Sunoco currently (not available in all parts of the country).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Shell, normally; with the Shell MC discount. Gotta like them Dutch.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Dano said:
I think BP is now Amoco and Shell. . .bought them both.

Sunoco's good.
Here in the south and most of the country most Amoco's are being converted to BP with the Amoco brand of gas being sold.

Shell has bought Texaco and will be converting most Texaco's to Shell.

Confused?? Don't feel bad...most of us are!! :20:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts