Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 20 year old suburban died and I was forced to figure something out pretty quickly. After test driving Kia Sorrentos, Dodge Durangos, Ford Explorers, Yukons, Tahoes, Suburbans, and Pilots, I ended up with a new Honda Pilot.

I drove it home from the dealer (200 miles from town as we live in the sticks) without any issues last night and had fun trying out the cruise control, lane assist, and phone connections. This morning I took my kids out to the garage to show them the new features. We left it in conservation mode (is that what it's called?) for several minutes before I powered it up properly and backed out to drive them around the block.

Immediately upon backing out I noticed the dashboard lit up with many startling error messages. I think I've read it here called "Christmas lights." Everything from ABS lights, power steering warnings, cruise control warnings, etc. It asks me to say "okay" to all of them to dismiss. I can also flip through them on the LCD display. I pulled over and tried to stop the car. It gave me a warning that if I pushed the start/stop button two more times I'd lose power. No duh? That's what I'm trying to do? I held the button down and the car powered down. We sat for a few minutes while my kids freaked out that they'd somehow already broken the new car. Then I turned it back on. The dashboard lit up all over again.

I drove it around the block and pulled back into the driveway and tried once more to power it down and restart. Same issues. I was afraid I'd accidentally hit some strange button as I don't know all the ins and outs of this vehicle yet, but nothing seemed to help.

Powered it all off, reassured my kids that we have a great warranty and I went inside to google. After reading here I'm nervous that just going on Honda's reputation for building cars that last might have been a mistake.

Do I drive this all the way back to town to visit with a dealer? Take it to a local mechanic? Try sorting out how to disconnect & reconnect the battery? (I took a look at the battery and it's pretty buried.)

Thanks for any help,
Sincerely, a frazzled mom.

2020 Pilot EX-L
220 miles
No recalls when I search on the VIN number.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Welcome to the forum...

...you just purchased the vehicle, that should mean its under warranty, so, deal with the Honda dealer for all issues
you don't want to "void" your warranty, some member here recently had such an issue or voided warranty because they used non Honda certified repair shop.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Many people have said that they get a lot of errors when their battery is low. Under the passenger side floor mat there's a little door and inside that you should be able to see when the car was made. If it was made a while ago, your battery is probably old. Some people have said that they have all the lights come on when their fuel injectors are bad. I'm hoping it's just the battery tho. Also you should call the dealer and tell them about your issue before driving it all the way there. You could also take a video of the issue just in case the issue goes away once you get to the dealer.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,878 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Sorry about the issue you are having with your new Pilot. I'm sure you will get some good suggestions from experienced owners here. Definitely contact the dealer as has been suggested and work from there.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
869 Posts
Try disconnecting and reconnecting the battery to see if things reset. As was said earlier, it may just be a bad battery that is not holding its charge. Definately things would be covered under warranty but you have to deal with an authorized Honda shop for that.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Welcome!

Sorry your experience with the new Honda was negative. Good suggestions here however about the date of build and perhaps a drained or weak battery.

If you were using the Conversation Mode and other electronics without the car running, those few minutes may have been enough to drain a weak battery even more.

If you have a battery charger I would try charging the battery myself. Seeing that you have an EX-L I don't believe you have an AGM battery. Double check to make sure before connecting a charger if you want to go this route. The battery will say AGM I believe if it is one.

Those require a special charger other than a normal wet cell charger. I purchased a charger which will do both types batteries because my Touring has the AGM battery.

Reactions: ys1219

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. Ended up taking it in as I couldn't figure out how to reach the battery safely in order to disconnect--it's rather buried and I don't know enough about cars. I should hear back today.

It continued to drive just fine but would light up with the full array of warnings & alerts every time I turned it on. The messages could be cleared but all the icons remained orange.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just another update. The dealership replaced a front wheel sensor that was misbehaving--reading 9-11mph even on the freeway. That didn't fix the problem. The dashboard remains lit up with all those errors. They've ordered another part that should be here tomorrow and they'll try that.

They also scratched up the center console while checking the various systems so they've ordered a new one.

In all, I've driven my car only once since we bought it the first week of September.

Reached out to the original dealer where we bought it asking if they had any refund/return/exchange polices and they do not. However the state I live in has some laws to protect against buying a lemon. If we have to repair the same thing 4x we are eligible for a refund or replacement, but we might have to get a lawyer involved.

In all, my first Honda experience has been crushing.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Just another update. The dealership replaced a front wheel sensor that was misbehaving--reading 9-11mph even on the freeway. That didn't fix the problem. The dashboard remains lit up with all those errors. They've ordered another part that should be here tomorrow and they'll try that.

They also scratched up the center console while checking the various systems so they've ordered a new one.

In all, I've driven my car only once since we bought it the first week of September.

Reached out to the original dealer where we bought it asking if they had any refund/return/exchange polices and they do not. However the state I live in has some laws to protect against buying a lemon. If we have to repair the same thing 4x we are eligible for a refund or replacement, but we might have to get a lawyer involved.

In all, my first Honda experience has been crushing.
A good lawyer should have Honda paying your entire legal fee, YOU should NOT sustain ANY loss. Make sure you discus (if you take this route) this with the lawyer during consultation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts